ATI Drivers and 3D - Suse

This is a discussion on ATI Drivers and 3D - Suse ; Hello, I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with 256 meg ram. I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video ...

  1. ATI Drivers and 3D

    Hello,

    I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    256 meg ram.

    I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.
    On the other hand, the ATI control center shows all the correct
    information.

    Does anyone have any suggestions or help in getting this card to work
    with SUSE in 3D?

    I'll post my Xorg.conf if need be.

    If anyone has success with this card, would you please post your
    Xorg.conf file?

    Regards,

    Buck

  2. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    Buck Rogers wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    > 256 meg ram.
    >
    > I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    > messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.
    > On the other hand, the ATI control center shows all the correct
    > information.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions or help in getting this card to work
    > with SUSE in 3D?
    >
    > I'll post my Xorg.conf if need be.
    >
    > If anyone has success with this card, would you please post your
    > Xorg.conf file?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Buck

    Did you run aticonfig --initial?

    Jack

  3. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    Buck Rogers wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    > 256 meg ram.
    >
    > I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    > messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.

    If you read the documentation you'll see that this is how it's supposed
    to be.

  4. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Buck Rogers wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    >> 256 meg ram.
    >>
    >> I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    >> messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.

    > If you read the documentation you'll see that this is how it's supposed
    > to be.

    No wait, I've read that wrong ("I have no 3D in sax2"). The only normal
    thing is that sax doesn't have it's "3D" button enabled. But if 3D apps
    don't work, that's not normal. Does `fglxgears` work?

  5. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:39:51 -0400, jack wrote:

    >Buck Rogers wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    >> 256 meg ram.
    >>
    >> I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    >> messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.
    >> On the other hand, the ATI control center shows all the correct
    >> information.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions or help in getting this card to work
    >> with SUSE in 3D?
    >>
    >> I'll post my Xorg.conf if need be.
    >>
    >> If anyone has success with this card, would you please post your
    >> Xorg.conf file?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Buck

    >Did you run aticonfig --initial?
    >
    >Jack

    Jack,

    Yes, I did.

    Regards,

    Buck

  6. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 01:51:37 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Buck Rogers wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    >>> 256 meg ram.
    >>>
    >>> I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    >>> messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.

    >> If you read the documentation you'll see that this is how it's supposed
    >> to be.

    >No wait, I've read that wrong ("I have no 3D in sax2"). The only normal
    >thing is that sax doesn't have it's "3D" button enabled. But if 3D apps
    >don't work, that's not normal. Does `fglxgears` work?

    Nikos,

    No, It doesn't.

    Regards,

    Buck

  7. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    Buck Rogers wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    > 256 meg ram.
    >
    > I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    > messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.
    > On the other hand, the ATI control center shows all the correct
    > information.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions or help in getting this card to work
    > with SUSE in 3D?
    >
    > I'll post my Xorg.conf if need be.
    >
    > If anyone has success with this card, would you please post your
    > Xorg.conf file?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Buck

    I used to install the drive that way, but now I use the repo. Add this repo:

    http://www2.ati.com/suse/10.3

    Then install:

    ati-fglrxG01-kmp-default-8.47.3_2.6.22.17_0.1-1.1
    x11-video-fglrxG01-8.47.3-1.1

    I use the Smart Package Manager, but this should work in Yast as well. I
    find that it simply "Just Works". When a new version comes out, the driver
    is updated automagically.

    With respects to sax2, I use it to only setup my monitor and not the 3d
    card. The ATI rpms, will set things up so that fgl_glxgears works. When it
    does, then 3D is working regardless of what sax2 says.

    --
    Chris

  8. Re: ATI Drivers and 3D

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 09:02:21 GMT, Chris
    wrote:

    >Buck Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've recently installed SUSE 10.3. I have an ATI Radeon 1950 Pro with
    >> 256 meg ram.
    >>
    >> I've downloaded and installed the newest ATI drivers with no error
    >> messages. However, I have no 3D and saX2 shows the mesa video driver.
    >> On the other hand, the ATI control center shows all the correct
    >> information.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions or help in getting this card to work
    >> with SUSE in 3D?
    >>
    >> I'll post my Xorg.conf if need be.
    >>
    >> If anyone has success with this card, would you please post your
    >> Xorg.conf file?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Buck

    >I used to install the drive that way, but now I use the repo. Add this repo:
    >
    >http://www2.ati.com/suse/10.3
    >
    >Then install:
    >
    >ati-fglrxG01-kmp-default-8.47.3_2.6.22.17_0.1-1.1
    >x11-video-fglrxG01-8.47.3-1.1
    >
    >I use the Smart Package Manager, but this should work in Yast as well. I
    >find that it simply "Just Works". When a new version comes out, the driver
    >is updated automagically.
    >
    >With respects to sax2, I use it to only setup my monitor and not the 3d
    >card. The ATI rpms, will set things up so that fgl_glxgears works. When it
    >does, then 3D is working regardless of what sax2 says.

    Chris,

    Thanks for the input. I'll do it the way you suggest. I'll post back
    the results.

    Thanks Again,

    Buck

+ Reply to Thread