Silent Sound Card - Suse

This is a discussion on Silent Sound Card - Suse ; I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3 installation. The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card. ...

  1. Silent Sound Card

    I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    installation.

    The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear
    during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card.

    I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear. As I
    have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from the sound
    card.

    Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed the
    soundcard?

    Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    through the card before KDE actually starts?

    Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up re-installing
    the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.

    Regards

  2. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Gilbert wrote:
    >I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    >installation.

    >The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear
    >during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card.

    >I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear. As I
    >have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from the sound
    >card.

    >Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed the
    >soundcard?

    >Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    >through the card before KDE actually starts?

    >Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up re-installing
    >the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.

    >Regards

    Use YAST and go to the Hardware section and then click on Sound.
    Select your sound card and "edit" it. Press the reset button.
    The card will be reinitialized. After you press "Next" (IIRC)
    you will have an option to test the sound card setup. Do so.
    If you hear nothing, then I've wasted your time. If you do hear
    some music, then you need to check further and attempt to discover
    what gets reset and how to fix that.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote:
    >>I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    >>installation.

    >>The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear
    >>during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card.

    >>I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear. As I
    >>have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from the sound
    >>card.

    >>Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed the
    >>soundcard?

    >>Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    >>through the card before KDE actually starts?

    >>Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up re-installing
    >>the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.

    >>Regards

    > Use YAST and go to the Hardware section and then click on Sound.
    > Select your sound card and "edit" it. Press the reset button.
    > The card will be reinitialized. After you press "Next" (IIRC)
    > you will have an option to test the sound card setup. Do so.
    > If you hear nothing, then I've wasted your time. If you do hear
    > some music, then you need to check further and attempt to discover
    > what gets reset and how to fix that.

    I found, having the same problem this week in adding a Sound Blaster Audigy,
    that selecting the kernel modules as opposed to the generic selections
    worked better.
    But that could be 50% superstition. Just an FYI.

    --
    Happiness is having a scratch for every itch.
    -- Ogden Nash

  4. Re: Silent Sound Card

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:27:44 +0300, Gilbert typed this message:

    > I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    > installation.
    >
    > The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear
    > during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card.
    >
    > I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear. As
    > I have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from the
    > sound card.
    >
    > Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed the
    > soundcard?
    >
    > Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    > through the card before KDE actually starts?
    >
    > Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up
    > re-installing the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.
    >
    > Regards

    lsof -n | grep snd

    will show the pids using the soundcard.
    Someone posted the simple solution I use for my logon sounds.

    Open Desktop, Control Center/Desktop preferences, scroll down to System
    and edit sessions.

    Add /usr/bin/aplay /home/username/folder/name.mp3 to Startup Sessions.

    "aplay" doesn't play mp3 files so you'd need to substitute a command line
    mp3 player like mplayer, mp3blaster or mpg123.

    Also, Startup sessions doesn't work with special characters, ie,
    '/home/my mp3files/some good music.mp3' won't play, but /home/mymp3files/
    somegoodmusic.mp3 would.

  5. Re: Silent Sound Card

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:27:44 +0300, Gilbert typed this message:

    > I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    > installation.
    >
    > The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear
    > during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card.
    >
    > I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear. As
    > I have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from the
    > sound card.
    >
    > Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed the
    > soundcard?
    >
    > Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    > through the card before KDE actually starts?
    >
    > Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up
    > re-installing the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.
    >
    > Regards

    I forgot to ask if you checked sound volume control to make sure you
    haven't muted the speakers. If you hear the beeps from the PC speaker
    then sound is working but something is blocking the speakers.

    From time to time some keypress combination mutes my sound and though
    volume control isn't shown as mute, I have to use sound volume to unmute
    the sound.

  6. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Gilbert wrote in

    > I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    > installation.
    >
    > The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I
    > hear during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the
    > card.
    >
    > I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear.
    > As I have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from
    > the sound card.
    >
    > Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed
    > the soundcard?
    >
    > Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    > through the card before KDE actually starts?
    >
    > Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up
    > re-installing the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.
    >
    > Regards

    I had an issue where the new default is for digital out on the speaker
    line. Get the mixer up, go to switches and deselect back to analogue.

  7. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Tweetie Pooh wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote in
    >
    >> I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I
    >> hear during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the
    >> card.
    >>
    >> I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear.
    >> As I have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from
    >> the sound card.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed
    >> the soundcard?
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    >> through the card before KDE actually starts?
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up
    >> re-installing the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.
    >>
    >> Regards

    > I had an issue where the new default is for digital out on the speaker
    > line. Get the mixer up, go to switches and deselect back to analogue.

    It's not that. lsof -n | grep snd shows nothing has grabbed the soundcard.
    Resetting the device via Yast doesn't help, nor does running alsaconfig.
    I've pulled the sound card, re-booted, re-inserted the sound card and
    reconfigured through Yast - still no joy. Any more suggestions as to how I
    can track this down.

    Regards

  8. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Pete Puma wrote:

    > Paul J Gans wrote:
    >
    >> Gilbert wrote:
    >>>I've done it again! I've managed to silence the sound on my 10.3
    >>>installation.

    >>>The sound card is present and I'm assuming from the loud "click" I hear
    >>>during boot up that the system is finding and initializing the card.

    >>>I am hearing the occasional "beep" when error pop-up windows appear. As I
    >>>have no seperate PC speaker on this box, this must be coming from the
    >>>sound card.

    >>>Is there a way I can tell if some background application has grabbed the
    >>>soundcard?

    >>>Is there a way I can go back to the command line and pipe an mp3 file
    >>>through the card before KDE actually starts?

    >>>Any other suggestions? The last time this happened I ended up
    >>>re-installing the system & I'd prefer not not have to do this again.

    >>>Regards

    >> Use YAST and go to the Hardware section and then click on Sound.
    >> Select your sound card and "edit" it. Press the reset button.
    >> The card will be reinitialized. After you press "Next" (IIRC)
    >> you will have an option to test the sound card setup. Do so.
    >> If you hear nothing, then I've wasted your time. If you do hear
    >> some music, then you need to check further and attempt to discover
    >> what gets reset and how to fix that.
    >>

    > I found, having the same problem this week in adding a Sound Blaster
    > Audigy, that selecting the kernel modules as opposed to the generic
    > selections worked better.
    > But that could be 50% superstition. Just an FYI.

    OK - it's definitely some sort of configuration issue at the user level. I
    logged onto my wifes account on the same machine (which she rarely uses)
    and the sound works fine. I copied the KMix settings and applied them to my
    account and still no sound.

    Any suggestions?

    Regards

  9. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Gilbert wrote:
    >Pete Puma wrote:

    >> Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>> Use YAST and go to the Hardware section and then click on Sound.
    >>> Select your sound card and "edit" it. Press the reset button.
    >>> The card will be reinitialized. After you press "Next" (IIRC)
    >>> you will have an option to test the sound card setup. Do so.
    >>> If you hear nothing, then I've wasted your time. If you do hear
    >>> some music, then you need to check further and attempt to discover
    >>> what gets reset and how to fix that.
    >>>

    >> I found, having the same problem this week in adding a Sound Blaster
    >> Audigy, that selecting the kernel modules as opposed to the generic
    >> selections worked better.
    >> But that could be 50% superstition. Just an FYI.

    >OK - it's definitely some sort of configuration issue at the user level. I
    >logged onto my wifes account on the same machine (which she rarely uses)
    >and the sound works fine. I copied the KMix settings and applied them to my
    >account and still no sound.

    >Any suggestions?

    Perhaps an exorcist?

    No ideas. That sort of blows me away. You say that *nothing*
    is using the sound card?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: Silent Sound Card

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote:
    >>Pete Puma wrote:

    >>> I found, having the same problem this week in adding a Sound Blaster
    >>> Audigy, that selecting the kernel modules as opposed to the generic
    >>> selections worked better.
    >>> But that could be 50% superstition. Just an FYI.

    >>OK - it's definitely some sort of configuration issue at the user level. I
    >>logged onto my wifes account on the same machine (which she rarely uses)
    >>and the sound works fine. I copied the KMix settings and applied them to
    >>my account and still no sound.

    >>Any suggestions?

    > Perhaps an exorcist?
    >
    > No ideas. That sort of blows me away. You say that *nothing*
    > is using the sound card?

    Sorry, nothing other than kmix and amarok when I try to play music. I've
    done ps aux | grep but all that's showing me is what is running
    under my profile after KDE starts up. Is there a log anyway that would let
    me see if anything starts but fails while KDE is starting. I've had a look
    in /var/log but I can't see anything obvious.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread