powersaved on minimal install - Suse

This is a discussion on powersaved on minimal install - Suse ; opensuse 10.3 I setup a system with the minimal/text only install. Now I want to get the power button working, screen saver, etc.. So i'm trying to install powersaved using yast. Yast keeps insisting on all kinds of wacky dependencies ...

  1. powersaved on minimal install

    opensuse 10.3

    I setup a system with the minimal/text only install. Now I want to get
    the power button working, screen saver, etc.. So i'm trying to install
    powersaved using yast. Yast keeps insisting on all kinds of wacky
    dependencies that seem unnecessary to me. SDL, DirectFB, some truetype
    font, "squashy".. surely powersaved doesn't really depend on "squashy"
    ??? I'm trying to keep this system lean and mean.

  2. Re: powersaved on minimal install

    larry wrote:
    > opensuse 10.3
    >
    > I setup a system with the minimal/text only install. Now I want to get
    > the power button working, screen saver, etc.. So i'm trying to install
    > powersaved using yast. Yast keeps insisting on all kinds of wacky
    > dependencies that seem unnecessary to me. SDL, DirectFB, some truetype
    > font, "squashy".. surely powersaved doesn't really depend on "squashy"
    > ??? I'm trying to keep this system lean and mean.

    typo, its called "splashy"

  3. Re: powersaved on minimal install

    larry wrote:

    > larry wrote:
    >> opensuse 10.3
    >>
    >> I setup a system with the minimal/text only install. Now I want to get
    >> the power button working, screen saver, etc.. So i'm trying to install
    >> powersaved using yast. Yast keeps insisting on all kinds of wacky
    >> dependencies that seem unnecessary to me. SDL, DirectFB, some truetype
    >> font, "squashy".. surely powersaved doesn't really depend on "squashy"
    >> ??? I'm trying to keep this system lean and mean.

    > typo, its called "splashy"

    Go to this page,

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i586.rpm.html

    ,download and try to install using the rpm command. After downloading leave
    the page open !! When you run the rpm command see what packages are listed
    as missing and then go to the page you left open and you will find any
    missing dependencies listed there. Click the link(s) to the dependency to
    download it/them...

    This may give you the same result as Yast BUT I do NOT see the programs you
    mentioned listed as dependencies for this (powersave) program...

    P.S. This is a very recent version too...

  4. Re: powersaved on minimal install

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > larry wrote:
    >
    >> larry wrote:
    >>> opensuse 10.3
    >>>
    >>> I setup a system with the minimal/text only install. Now I want to get
    >>> the power button working, screen saver, etc.. So i'm trying to install
    >>> powersaved using yast. Yast keeps insisting on all kinds of wacky
    >>> dependencies that seem unnecessary to me. SDL, DirectFB, some truetype
    >>> font, "squashy".. surely powersaved doesn't really depend on "squashy"
    >>> ??? I'm trying to keep this system lean and mean.

    >> typo, its called "splashy"

    > Go to this page,
    >
    > http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i586.rpm.html
    >
    > ,download and try to install using the rpm command. After downloading leave
    > the page open !! When you run the rpm command see what packages are listed
    > as missing and then go to the page you left open and you will find any
    > missing dependencies listed there. Click the link(s) to the dependency to
    > download it/them...
    >
    > This may give you the same result as Yast BUT I do NOT see the programs you
    > mentioned listed as dependencies for this (powersave) program...
    >
    > P.S. This is a very recent version too...

    ...yeah thats the weird part. All those strange programs aren't listed as
    dependencies, but yast/zypper insists on installing them.

    Your advice worked, with a slight modification though. I found that the
    only real dependencies missing are liblazy, and powersave-libs. So I
    installed those first with yast. Then I downloaded the powersave rpm and
    installed it with rpm -i powersave... Only I didn't use the one you
    suggested. It is too new I think. It requires a new rpm tool with LZMA
    support?? However I found the current powersave rpm on
    http://software.opensuse.org/search. Now my power button is working.

    thanks

+ Reply to Thread