    should I wait till Suse 11.00 has to offer?

    Will

  2. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    On 2008-05-19, WJG wrote:

    > I have a Matrox G400 graphics card in my Suse 10/3 box. I've just
    > relaced the my monitor with an ACER X223W LCD display running at 1680
    > x 1050 res. I'm running at 1600 x 1200 at the moment which results in
    > veritcal compression. Does anyone know how to fix this situation, or
    > should I wait till Suse 11.00 has to offer?

    You could start by using the 1440x900 resolution that I found for LCD
    screens in 10.0, for my father's computer. At least, it's in the correct
    proportions.

    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    WJG wrote:
    > I have a Matrox G400 graphics card in my Suse 10/3 box. I've just
    > relaced the my monitor with an ACER X223W LCD display running at 1680
    > x 1050 res. I'm running at 1600 x 1200 at the moment which results in
    > veritcal compression. Does anyone know how to fix this situation, or
    > should I wait till Suse 11.00 has to offer?

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    | Artist : Boudewijn de Groot
    | Song : Een tip van de sluier
    | Album : Wonderkind aan het strand (CD 3: Branding)

  4. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    WJG wrote:
    >I have a Matrox G400 graphics card in my Suse 10/3 box. I've just
    >relaced the my monitor with an ACER X223W LCD display running at 1680
    >x 1050 res. I'm running at 1600 x 1200 at the moment which results in
    >veritcal compression. Does anyone know how to fix this situation, or
    >should I wait till Suse 11.00 has to offer?

    Is the Matrox capable of running at 1680x1050? If it isn't, then
    you can't make any version of Suse do it for you.

    Assuming that it is capable of doing that, several others have
    given good advice on how to get it running.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > WJG wrote:
    >>I have a Matrox G400 graphics card in my Suse 10/3 box. I've just
    >>relaced the my monitor with an ACER X223W LCD display running at 1680
    >>x 1050 res. I'm running at 1600 x 1200 at the moment which results in
    >>veritcal compression. Does anyone know how to fix this situation, or
    >>should I wait till Suse 11.00 has to offer?

    > Is the Matrox capable of running at 1680x1050? If it isn't, then
    > you can't make any version of Suse do it for you.

    DOH! I used to have a G550 and I bought a new card beause the max was
    1600x1200 and I asume that the G400 isn't any better.

    Great cards, but the max is the max.

    houghi
    | Artist : Midnight Oil
    | Song : blue sky mine
    | Album : Diesel and Dust

  6. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    Thanks for detailed reply and, of course, to everyone who has shared
    their experience. I'll have a go at setting the parameters. The G400
    can be run at 1580 x 1050 because I've downloaded the lastest (2006)
    drivers from the Matrox support pages and have already installed it
    into my Win2000 partition. So, I'm quite optomistic. Mmmm, I bought
    the graphics card in my desktop about 10yrs ago and y'know, in all
    that time only the case and the Matrox card have never needed
    replacing!

    I'll keep you informed on how things progress.

    Will

  7. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    WJG wrote:

    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solving your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best response
    and help possible.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Wowie Zowie
    | Album : Freak Out!

  8. Re: Matrox G400, change from 4:3 to 16:10 aspect ratio.

    Thanks for the advice! It worked at treat. Although I did get slightly
    different screen messaging. To summarize:

    Action Effect
    [CTRL][ALT][F1] Goto text mode.
    login as 'root' Enable superuser mode to adjust base
    system settings.
    type 'init 3' Shutdown X, and run in textmode
    only.
    run sax2 Run console command for screen.

    At this point, I received the message:

    sax: no X-server running

    type 'startup' Reiniitialize x windowing sytem. Et
    Voila! The X screen config utility runs.
    select setting The option selected was: 1600 x 1050
    (WSXGA+) 60Hz.
    select save Job done.
    type 'init 5 && exit'

    So, many thanks. When I was returned to the login screen I was so
    delighted to see the SUSE Gecko back in a nice, round circle rather
    than inside an egg!

    WJG

+ Reply to Thread