NFS does not work as expected - Suse

This is a discussion on NFS does not work as expected - Suse ; I have NFS server installed on my 10.3 and NFS client on my 11.0B3 Some files I see and others I don't: Original: [/media/movies/0_download] houghi@penne : l total 2 drwx------ 6 houghi users 248 2008-05-17 00:42 ./ drwxr-xr-x 14 houghi ...

  1. NFS does not work as expected

    I have NFS server installed on my 10.3 and NFS client on my 11.0B3
    Some files I see and others I don't:
    Original:
    [/media/movies/0_download]
    houghi@penne : l
    total 2
    drwx------ 6 houghi users 248 2008-05-17 00:42 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 14 houghi users 376 2008-05-18 17:53 ../
    drwxr-xr-x 3 houghi users 1736 2008-04-25 21:48 Some_Movie/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 houghi users 168 2007-12-30 22:36 Other_movie/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 houghi users 96 2008-05-17 00:42 openSUSE-11.0-Beta3-DVD-i386-iso/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 houghi users 80 2008-04-29 23:29 Pr0nmovie/

    Hoever when I do it on the mounted 11.0B3, I get:
    houghi@pizza:/media/movies/0_download> l
    ls: reading directory .: Input/output error
    total 0

    When I look one directory lower, I get:
    houghi@pizza:/media/movies> l
    total 5
    drwxr-xr-x 14 houghi users 376 2008-05-18 17:53 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2008-05-17 18:11 ../
    drwx------ 6 houghi users 248 2008-05-17 00:42 0_download/

    What gives? I have read `man exports` and _I_ did not recognise anything
    that i could use (which means _I_ did not understood it, not that it is
    not there)

    In another directory I can see the files as I would see them normaly.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Poodle Lecture
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  2. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:54:07 +0200, houghi typed this message:

    > I have NFS server installed on my 10.3 and NFS client on my 11.0B3 Some
    > files I see and others I don't:
    > Original:
    > [/media/movies/0_download]
    > houghi@penne : l
    > total 2
    > drwx------ 6 houghi users 248 2008-05-17 00:42 ./ drwxr-xr-x 14 houghi
    > users 376 2008-05-18 17:53 ../ drwxr-xr-x 3 houghi users 1736
    > 22:36 Other_movie/ drwxr-xr-x 2 houghi users 96 2008-05-17 00:42
    > openSUSE-11.0-Beta3-DVD-i386-iso/ drwxr-xr-x 2 houghi users 80
    >
    > Hoever when I do it on the mounted 11.0B3, I get:
    > houghi@pizza:/media/movies/0_download> l ls: reading directory .:
    > Input/output error total 0
    >
    > When I look one directory lower, I get: houghi@pizza:/media/movies> l
    > total 5
    > drwxr-xr-x 14 houghi users 376 2008-05-18 17:53 ./ drwxr-xr-x 4 root
    > root 4096 2008-05-17 18:11 ../ drwx------ 6 houghi users 248
    >
    > What gives? I have read `man exports` and _I_ did not recognise anything
    > that i could use (which means _I_ did not understood it, not that it is
    > not there)
    >
    > In another directory I can see the files as I would see them normaly.
    >
    > houghi

    Try using the all_squash UID mapping in the /etc/exports file on the
    server.

    I'm not sure of what you're trying to show, ie, which pc is which.
    The houghi@pizza:~/0_download has root:root for UID:GID. Naturally,
    user houghi wouldn't have access.

  3. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    noi ance wrote:
    >> In another directory I can see the files as I would see them normaly.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Try using the all_squash UID mapping in the /etc/exports file on the
    > server.

    OK, changed it to:
    /media/movies (ro,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
    Will test it later as I have to leave. :-/

    > I'm not sure of what you're trying to show, ie, which pc is which.
    > The houghi@pizza:~/0_download has root:root for UID:GID. Naturally,
    > user houghi wouldn't have access.

    Why not? pizza is the client. Penne has the same setting and there it
    works.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Poodle Lecture
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  4. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    houghi wrote:
    >> Try using the all_squash UID mapping in the /etc/exports file on the
    >> server.

    > OK, changed it to:
    > /media/movies (ro,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
    > Will test it later as I have to leave. :-/

    Didn't change anything.

    >> I'm not sure of what you're trying to show, ie, which pc is which.
    >> The houghi@pizza:~/0_download has root:root for UID:GID. Naturally,
    >> user houghi wouldn't have access.

    > Why not? pizza is the client. Penne has the same setting and there it
    > works.

    It has to do with the rights, altough it is not clear to me why. The
    rights are the same, yet I need to do a chmod +rw for the directories
    and a chmod +r for all the files.

    So access for the user only is not possible as a standard and the rights
    you see with NFS are not the same. I have a lot of directories that are
    chmod 700, so all of those won't work by default. Mmm. Bummer.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Poodle Lecture
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  5. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >>> Try using the all_squash UID mapping in the /etc/exports file on the
    >>> server.

    >> OK, changed it to:
    >> /media/movies (ro,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
    >> Will test it later as I have to leave. :-/

    > Didn't change anything.
    >
    >>> I'm not sure of what you're trying to show, ie, which pc is which.
    >>> The houghi@pizza:~/0_download has root:root for UID:GID. Naturally,
    >>> user houghi wouldn't have access.

    >> Why not? pizza is the client. Penne has the same setting and there it
    >> works.

    > It has to do with the rights, altough it is not clear to me why. The
    > rights are the same, yet I need to do a chmod +rw for the directories
    > and a chmod +r for all the files.
    >
    > So access for the user only is not possible as a standard and the rights
    > you see with NFS are not the same. I have a lot of directories that are
    > chmod 700, so all of those won't work by default. Mmm. Bummer.
    >
    > houghi

    Which NFS server are you using?

    If you're using the nfs-server package, swap it for the
    nfs-kernel-server one. I've never had any success with the user space
    daemons.

    Matthew

  6. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    Matthew Wild wrote:
    >> So access for the user only is not possible as a standard and the rights
    >> you see with NFS are not the same. I have a lot of directories that are
    >> chmod 700, so all of those won't work by default. Mmm. Bummer.

    > Which NFS server are you using?

    Won't that interfere with the XEN Kernel? Also I am not going to change
    kernels right now.

    > If you're using the nfs-server package, swap it for the
    > nfs-kernel-server one. I've never had any success with the user space
    > daemons.

    Well, it works, just not as I expected it to do with the user rights.
    This probably is solvable, but I have not looked into it enough. Another
    thing is the 2GB restriction I get. I think there is a workaround, but
    not sure.

    As I am the only user on the system, I can change any and all rights to
    whatever I desire, so no real serious issues there.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Poodle Lecture
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  7. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:25:03 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Matthew Wild wrote:
    >>> So access for the user only is not possible as a standard and the
    >>> rights you see with NFS are not the same. I have a lot of directories
    >>> that are chmod 700, so all of those won't work by default. Mmm.
    >>> Bummer.

    >> Which NFS server are you using?

    > Won't that interfere with the XEN Kernel? Also I am not going to change
    > kernels right now.
    >
    >> If you're using the nfs-server package, swap it for the
    >> nfs-kernel-server one. I've never had any success with the user space
    >> daemons.

    > Well, it works, just not as I expected it to do with the user rights.
    > This probably is solvable, but I have not looked into it enough. Another
    > thing is the 2GB restriction I get. I think there is a workaround, but
    > not sure.
    >
    > As I am the only user on the system, I can change any and all rights to
    > whatever I desire, so no real serious issues there.
    >
    > houghi

    Make sure that you user id number is the same on both systems. The id
    command will give the user number, and ls -ln will show the id that the
    files and directories are under. NFS uses user numbers, not names to do
    access control.

    Frank

  8. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    Frank Ranner wrote:
    >> As I am the only user on the system, I can change any and all rights to
    >> whatever I desire, so no real serious issues there.
    >>

    > Make sure that you user id number is the same on both systems. The id
    > command will give the user number, and ls -ln will show the id that the
    > files and directories are under. NFS uses user numbers, not names to do
    > access control.

    That is the case. I will look in more detail later. I asume the issue is
    PEBCAK untill proven otherwise.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Poodle Lecture
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  9. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    houghi wrote:
    > Matthew Wild wrote:
    >>> So access for the user only is not possible as a standard and the rights
    >>> you see with NFS are not the same. I have a lot of directories that are
    >>> chmod 700, so all of those won't work by default. Mmm. Bummer.

    >> Which NFS server are you using?

    > Won't that interfere with the XEN Kernel? Also I am not going to change
    > kernels right now.

    You don't need to change your kernel. Just install the nfs-kernel-server
    rpm on top of your existing system, after removing the user space
    daemon package.

    >> If you're using the nfs-server package, swap it for the
    >> nfs-kernel-server one. I've never had any success with the user space
    >> daemons.

    > Well, it works, just not as I expected it to do with the user rights.
    > This probably is solvable, but I have not looked into it enough. Another
    > thing is the 2GB restriction I get. I think there is a workaround, but
    > not sure.

    ISTM that was one of the limitations of the user space nfs daemon.

    IME the kernel space daemon is more capable and more stable.

    Matthew

  10. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    Matthew Wild wrote:
    >> Won't that interfere with the XEN Kernel? Also I am not going to change
    >> kernels right now.
    >>

    > You don't need to change your kernel. Just install the nfs-kernel-server
    > rpm on top of your existing system, after removing the user space
    > daemon package.

    I will look at it when I put 11.0 on it. At this moment I get by. The
    few files that are larger I can copy with ssh.
    Thanks.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : N-Lite
    | Album : Civilization Phaze III, Act one

  11. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:18:32 +0200, houghi typed this message:

    > Frank Ranner wrote:
    >>> As I am the only user on the system, I can change any and all rights
    >>> to whatever I desire, so no real serious issues there.
    >>>

    >> Make sure that you user id number is the same on both systems. The id
    >> command will give the user number, and ls -ln will show the id that the
    >> files and directories are under. NFS uses user numbers, not names to do
    >> access control.

    > That is the case. I will look in more detail later. I asume the issue is
    > PEBCAK untill proven otherwise.
    >
    > houghi

    I had access problems too with 10.1 NFS server, though FC nfs was the
    client. I changed my exports to:

    /home/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 (rw,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=100)

    and it worked.

    OTOH, if you're using XEN aren't there additional procedures you have to
    create to export root file systems in XEN???

    ( http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/
    Creating_and_Booting_a_Xen_Guest_domainU_using_an_ NFS_Mounted_Root_Filesystem )

  12. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    noi ance wrote:
    > I had access problems too with 10.1 NFS server, though FC nfs was the
    > client. I changed my exports to:
    >
    > /home/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 (rw,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=100)
    >
    > and it worked.

    Thanks. Will try it out.

    > OTOH, if you're using XEN aren't there additional procedures you have to
    > create to export root file systems in XEN???

    I am just starting to figure out XEN and I would not like that something
    like NFS is in the way and I am trying things that will never work. If
    one changes eleventy things and it does not work, it is harder to
    understand where the problem and thus the solution lies.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  13. Re: NFS does not work as expected

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 09:08:08 +0200, houghi typed this message:

    > noi ance wrote:
    >> I had access problems too with 10.1 NFS server, though FC nfs was the
    >> client. I changed my exports to:
    >>
    >> /home/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    >> (rw,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=100)
    >>
    >> and it worked.

    > Thanks. Will try it out.
    >
    >> OTOH, if you're using XEN aren't there additional procedures you have
    >> to create to export root file systems in XEN???

    > I am just starting to figure out XEN and I would not like that something
    > like NFS is in the way and I am trying things that will never work. If
    > one changes eleventy things and it does not work, it is harder to
    > understand where the problem and thus the solution lies.
    >
    > houghi

    Agreed!!! I don't understand XEN, except for trying other OS.
    My guess is the virtual client isn't known to the server, or a host
    allowed

+ Reply to Thread