Beta 3 of 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on Beta 3 of 11.0 - Suse ; I am installing the 10.3 beta and I am typing this as I go along. Booting needed to be done before I was able to get the live version working. First it just popped out, second time it halted, third ...

  1. Beta 3 of 11.0

    I am installing the 10.3 beta and I am typing this as I go along.

    Booting needed to be done before I was able to get the live version
    working. First it just popped out, second time it halted, third time it
    worked.
    I am unable to configure the external screen to show the same as the
    screen on the portable, but I have not looked at it.

    First button I clicked was the Install. It askes me for my Language
    (English) and keyboard (Belgian). With B2 it would somehow not remember
    my keyboard.

    Next I repartitioned my complete HD:
    sda1 2GB swap
    sda5 20GB /
    sda6 20GB /media/other (for future instalations)
    sda7 35GB /home

    Next the username and password. Typing in the full name also gives you
    the user name till a space in lowercase. It also asks if you want to use
    it as the password for the system administrator. I asume that is root.
    :-/
    Select to recieve system mail and turn off the automatic login. That
    will be deselected the moment you add a second user.

    Withe the live instalation there is no way to select what you want to
    install and what not.

    So now it removes the current partitions, formats the new ones, copy the
    filesystems. Then the rest of the instalation and a reboot into the
    second part where it completely and utterly became useless as it showed
    no readable screen. Not something you want during the second part of the
    instalation, so I rebooted, unplugged the second screen.

    It started with a warning and I started the second part again. That
    worked better.
    Next I added several community repositories, including Packman which can
    be picked from YaST as well. That needed a lot of clicking. Then I went
    and installed MPlayer.

    People who have issues with the speed of YaST will be impressed.
    I do not see patterns, which is a pity.

    All in all nice and smooth instalation for a Beta.

    houghi
    | Artist : Aerosmith
    | Song : Dream On
    | Album : Aerosmith

  2. Re: Beta 3 of 11.0

    houghi wrote:

    > I am installing the 10.3 beta and I am typing this as I go along.
    >
    > Booting needed to be done before I was able to get the live version
    > working. First it just popped out, second time it halted, third time it
    > worked.
    > I am unable to configure the external screen to show the same as the
    > screen on the portable, but I have not looked at it.
    >
    > First button I clicked was the Install. It askes me for my Language
    > (English) and keyboard (Belgian). With B2 it would somehow not remember
    > my keyboard.
    >
    > Next I repartitioned my complete HD:
    > sda1 2GB swap
    > sda5 20GB /
    > sda6 20GB /media/other (for future instalations)
    > sda7 35GB /home
    >
    > Next the username and password. Typing in the full name also gives you
    > the user name till a space in lowercase. It also asks if you want to use
    > it as the password for the system administrator. I asume that is root.
    > :-/
    > Select to recieve system mail and turn off the automatic login. That
    > will be deselected the moment you add a second user.
    >
    > Withe the live instalation there is no way to select what you want to
    > install and what not.
    >
    > So now it removes the current partitions, formats the new ones, copy the
    > filesystems. Then the rest of the instalation and a reboot into the
    > second part where it completely and utterly became useless as it showed
    > no readable screen. Not something you want during the second part of the
    > instalation, so I rebooted, unplugged the second screen.
    >
    > It started with a warning and I started the second part again. That
    > worked better.
    > Next I added several community repositories, including Packman which can
    > be picked from YaST as well. That needed a lot of clicking. Then I went
    > and installed MPlayer.
    >
    > People who have issues with the speed of YaST will be impressed.
    > I do not see patterns, which is a pity.
    >
    > All in all nice and smooth instalation for a Beta.
    >
    > houghi

    I did an upgrade from 10.3 and it went well. I also saw no patterns, neither
    during the install or when running Yast software manager. But I did not get
    offered repositories to add I got a screen of existing ones that I was
    given the option to edit which I thought was wrong, I should have been
    given the option to have the std ones upgraded to the version being
    installed.
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.9, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: Beta 3 of 11.0

    On Sun, 18 May 2008, Bill P wrote:-

    >I did an upgrade from 10.3 and it went well. I also saw no patterns, neither
    >during the install or when running Yast software manager.

    Bug #390139, known and fixed. Also listed on the most annoying bugs
    page:

    >But I did not get
    >offered repositories to add I got a screen of existing ones that I was
    >given the option to edit which I thought was wrong,

    That's because you were performing an upgrade.

    >I should have been
    >given the option to have the std ones upgraded to the version being
    >installed.

    How can the installer know how to change those URLs? It's possible that
    it could search the repo URLs and replace the old version number with
    the new one, except that would break with the openSUSE 10.3 repo. The
    openSUSE 11.0 repo doesn't exist as yet since it's still technically in
    development, and that's going on in factory-OSS repo.

    Also, how does it handle those private repos, ones that some users
    create for themselves because they have built packages that other repos
    don't (yet) have, and the build service can't have? It's easy to do, and
    if the "URL" is really just a directory, the installer has no chance of
    figuring out what to do.

    IMHO, they've picked probably the best way of handling the situation.
    The user has the choice of leaving the repos disabled, or re-enabling
    them and correcting the paths.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0b2

  4. Re: Beta 3 of 11.0

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>But I did not get
    >>offered repositories to add I got a screen of existing ones that I was
    >>given the option to edit which I thought was wrong,

    > That's because you were performing an upgrade.

    That should not be an excuse. He should have been offerd the new ones.
    As I read it he was only able to edit the old ones.

    > IMHO, they've picked probably the best way of handling the situation.
    > The user has the choice of leaving the repos disabled, or re-enabling
    > them and correcting the paths.

    Almost:
    1) deactivate the old ones
    2) give an option to reactive (or edit) the old ones
    3) offer the new ones

    As far as I can tell from what was posted here, step 3 was missing.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Poodle Lecture
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

+ Reply to Thread