recommend usb wifi wlan? - Suse

This is a discussion on recommend usb wifi wlan? - Suse ; looking for a usb wifi adapter that will work painlessly with openSUSE 10.3. I know there are many that can be made to work with ndiswrapper or other drivers, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend one that openSUSE ...

  1. recommend usb wifi wlan?

    looking for a usb wifi adapter that will work painlessly with openSUSE
    10.3. I know there are many that can be made to work with ndiswrapper or
    other drivers, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend one that
    openSUSE has built in support for? 802.11g or 802.11n.

    thanks

  2. Re: recommend usb wifi wlan?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 23:30:47 -0700, moe wrote:

    > looking for a usb wifi adapter that will work painlessly with openSUSE
    > 10.3. I know there are many that can be made to work with ndiswrapper or
    > other drivers, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend one that
    > openSUSE has built in support for? 802.11g or 802.11n.

    I have a Dlink dwl-g122 (revision c) USB wifi dongle that I used to use. I
    haven't used it for a while as I have now got an Intel 2200 internal card
    for my laptop.

    There are drivers built into SUSE for it, but as I recall I used the open
    source dirvers supplied by the manufacturer. It uses the RT2500 chipset.
    I only used WEP with it, but I believe it is capable of WPA (via
    wpa_supplicant)

    I believe some of the Belkin USB units also use the same chipset.

    NB. I found the RT2500 driver much better than the RT73 driver (that one
    didn't work at all for me, but other seem to say it's OK)

  3. Re: recommend usb wifi wlan?

    David Bailey wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 23:30:47 -0700, moe wrote:
    >
    >> looking for a usb wifi adapter that will work painlessly with openSUSE
    >> 10.3. I know there are many that can be made to work with ndiswrapper or
    >> other drivers, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend one that
    >> openSUSE has built in support for? 802.11g or 802.11n.

    > I have a Dlink dwl-g122 (revision c) USB wifi dongle that I used to use. I
    > haven't used it for a while as I have now got an Intel 2200 internal card
    > for my laptop.
    >
    > There are drivers built into SUSE for it, but as I recall I used the open
    > source dirvers supplied by the manufacturer. It uses the RT2500 chipset.
    > I only used WEP with it, but I believe it is capable of WPA (via
    > wpa_supplicant)
    >
    > I believe some of the Belkin USB units also use the same chipset.
    >
    > NB. I found the RT2500 driver much better than the RT73 driver (that one
    > didn't work at all for me, but other seem to say it's OK)

    ok thanks. I think i'll look for a rt2500 device. I also found this list

    http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

+ Reply to Thread