Firefox & video playback - Suse

This is a discussion on Firefox & video playback - Suse ; Hi I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media problem so I thought I'd try here first. I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas Lectures ( http://www.rigb.org ...

  1. Firefox & video playback

    Hi

    I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media
    problem so I thought I'd try here first.

    I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas Lectures
    (http://www.rigb.org - if anyone wants to try this the site requires
    registration, you have to select the webcast through a shopping cart, but
    they are free). At first Firefox complained about missing plugins and
    googling led me to install the xine plugin.

    Now when I try it, the Firefox plays the 10 second or so intro and then
    stops. If I try to play the webcast using IE from a Windows 2000 install in
    VMWare then I get the 10 second intro and then the main webcast starts. I
    can't stick with this as VMWare doesn't recognise the sound card - but that
    is a seperate issue.

    I've tried starting firefox via the console to see if any error messages are
    logged, but there aren't anyway. Does anyone have any idea why Firefox
    won't play the second video stream or what I can do to investigate further?

    Im using SuSe 10.3, Firefox 2.0.0.14 and Xine plugin 1.0.1-0.pm-0

    Regards

  2. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Gilbert wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media
    > problem so I thought I'd try here first.
    >
    > I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas
    > Lectures (http://www.rigb.org - if anyone wants to try this the site
    > requires registration, you have to select the webcast through a shopping
    > cart, but they are free). At first Firefox complained about missing
    > plugins and googling led me to install the xine plugin.
    >
    > Now when I try it, the Firefox plays the 10 second or so intro and then
    > stops. If I try to play the webcast using IE from a Windows 2000 install
    > in VMWare then I get the 10 second intro and then the main webcast starts.
    > I can't stick with this as VMWare doesn't recognise the sound card - but
    > that is a seperate issue.
    >
    > I've tried starting firefox via the console to see if any error messages
    > are logged, but there aren't anyway. Does anyone have any idea why Firefox
    > won't play the second video stream or what I can do to investigate
    > further?
    >
    > Im using SuSe 10.3, Firefox 2.0.0.14 and Xine plugin 1.0.1-0.pm-0
    >
    > Regards

    Try the MPlayer plugin instead. I use it and it always works.

    This is the one I have installed. It's from the Packman repo.

    mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Chris wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media
    >> problem so I thought I'd try here first.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas
    >> Lectures (http://www.rigb.org - if anyone wants to try this the site
    >> requires registration, you have to select the webcast through a shopping
    >> cart, but they are free). At first Firefox complained about missing
    >> plugins and googling led me to install the xine plugin.
    >>
    >> Now when I try it, the Firefox plays the 10 second or so intro and then
    >> stops. If I try to play the webcast using IE from a Windows 2000 install
    >> in VMWare then I get the 10 second intro and then the main webcast
    >> starts. I can't stick with this as VMWare doesn't recognise the sound
    >> card - but that is a seperate issue.
    >>
    >> I've tried starting firefox via the console to see if any error messages
    >> are logged, but there aren't anyway. Does anyone have any idea why
    >> Firefox won't play the second video stream or what I can do to
    >> investigate further?
    >>
    >> Im using SuSe 10.3, Firefox 2.0.0.14 and Xine plugin 1.0.1-0.pm-0
    >>
    >> Regards

    > Try the MPlayer plugin instead. I use it and it always works.
    >
    > This is the one I have installed. It's from the Packman repo.
    >
    > mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2

    Deleted the Xine plugin and installed mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2 and get
    exactly the same behaviour. The 10 second intro plays and then mplayer
    stops. The main webcast doesn't start.

    Regards

  4. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Gilbert wrote:

    >> Try the MPlayer plugin instead. I use it and it always works.
    >>
    >> This is the one I have installed. It's from the Packman repo.
    >>
    >> mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2
    >>

    > Deleted the Xine plugin and installed mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2 and get
    > exactly the same behaviour. The 10 second intro plays and then mplayer
    > stops. The main webcast doesn't start.

    I haven't tried the site, but maybe I will later. But for now, check what
    video driver is being used by mplayer. To do that, once the video starts,
    right-click and select Configure. Then try the other Video Output options.
    I use X11. Xv causes flicker when I have compiz running. I also have gl
    listed as a choice, but x11 works so I haven't tried it.

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Gilbert wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media
    > problem so I thought I'd try here first.
    >
    > I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas Lectures
    > (http://www.rigb.org - if anyone wants to try this the site requires
    > registration,

    No kidding, but this site must be on the web's most wanted.... I can't
    get a confirmation email... they mention specifically that you must
    whitelist them to get any emails, but apparently it's not even
    making it that far (which means they are on the heavy spam lists).

    Do you have a reputable site that we can troubleshoot with?

  6. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media
    >> problem so I thought I'd try here first.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas
    >> Lectures (http://www.rigb.org - if anyone wants to try this the site
    >> requires registration,

    > No kidding, but this site must be on the web's most wanted.... I can't
    > get a confirmation email... they mention specifically that you must
    > whitelist them to get any emails, but apparently it's not even
    > making it that far (which means they are on the heavy spam lists).
    >
    > Do you have a reputable site that we can troubleshoot with?

    This is the British Royal Institutes web site. They are almost certainly not
    any of the major spam lists. I had no problem enrolling yesterday which is
    how I discovered the problem.

    Regards

  7. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Chris wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>> Try the MPlayer plugin instead. I use it and it always works.
    >>>
    >>> This is the one I have installed. It's from the Packman repo.
    >>>
    >>> mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2
    >>>

    >> Deleted the Xine plugin and installed mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2 and get
    >> exactly the same behaviour. The 10 second intro plays and then mplayer
    >> stops. The main webcast doesn't start.

    > I haven't tried the site, but maybe I will later. But for now, check what
    > video driver is being used by mplayer. To do that, once the video starts,
    > right-click and select Configure. Then try the other Video Output options.
    > I use X11. Xv causes flicker when I have compiz running. I also have gl
    > listed as a choice, but x11 works so I haven't tried it.

    Tried all three options, Xv, X11 and gl and get the same behaviour.

    Regards

  8. Re: Firefox & video playback

    Gilbert wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Gilbert wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I've got an oddity here. I'm not sure if this is a Suse, Firefox or media
    >>> problem so I thought I'd try here first.
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to view a webcast of one the Royal Institutes Christmas
    >>> Lectures (http://www.rigb.org - if anyone wants to try this the site
    >>> requires registration,

    >> No kidding, but this site must be on the web's most wanted.... I can't
    >> get a confirmation email... they mention specifically that you must
    >> whitelist them to get any emails, but apparently it's not even
    >> making it that far (which means they are on the heavy spam lists).
    >>
    >> Do you have a reputable site that we can troubleshoot with?

    > This is the British Royal Institutes web site. They are almost certainly not
    > any of the major spam lists. I had no problem enrolling yesterday which is
    > how I discovered the problem.

    All I know is that I can't receive the confirmation email.
    Oh well... and that usually means they're on an RBL list.

    Usually when a site goes out of the way to mention there
    might be a problem it's because they are aware they there IS
    a problem.

  9. Re: Firefox & video playback

    In Gilbert:

    [Snip...]

    > Sorry, but are you for real? I cannot think of a more respectable or
    > respected organisation than the British Institute for Science.

    AFAIK, nobody's said otherwise. However, IF (very big IF) for some reason
    their netblocks have compromised/hijacked nodes (like a Doze box somebody
    forgot to completely delouse) spewing spam, RBL's gonna blacklist them.

    Spam's so bad, RBL nukes it all, and lets gawd sort it out later.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  10. Re: Firefox & video playback

    > All I know is that I can't receive the confirmation email.
    > Oh well... and that usually means they're on an RBL list.
    >
    > Usually when a site goes out of the way to mention there
    > might be a problem it's because they are aware they there IS
    > a problem.

    Sorry, but are you for real? I cannot think of a more respectable or
    respected organisation than the British Institute for Science.

+ Reply to Thread