Why do I get this? - Suse

This is a discussion on Why do I get this? - Suse ; Starting Hal Damon Loading CPUFreq module (CPUFreq not supported) Just hangs there. You mean after booting the install CD, going through all that crap and come to this and my CPU frequency is inadequate? Why? Why not tell me at ...

  1. Why do I get this?

    Starting Hal Damon

    Just hangs there. You mean after booting the install CD, going through
    all that crap and come to this and my CPU frequency is inadequate? Why?
    Why not tell me at the beginning?

    What happened was the install hanged on install boot loader so I had to
    reboot. Now I go through the CD install again and select boot install
    system and get the above and it hangs up every time.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  2. Re: Why do I get this?

    Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:

    > Starting Hal Damon
    >
    > Just hangs there. You mean after booting the install CD, going through
    > all that crap and come to this and my CPU frequency is inadequate? Why?
    > Why not tell me at the beginning?
    >
    > What happened was the install hanged on install boot loader so I had to
    > reboot. Now I go through the CD install again and select boot install
    > system and get the above and it hangs up every time.

    CPU's frequency in inadequate, it means that the kernel can't modify
    your CPU's frequency. That is no reason to hang (I get the same message
    in many PCs that don't support Intel SpeedStep or AMD Cool'n'Quiet or
    AMD PowerNow or whatever those things are called).

    Try booting in safe mode.

    Also, it would be a good idea to post what version of openSUSE you're
    talking about and your CPU model.

  3. Re: Why do I get this?

    Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? schrieb:

    > Starting Hal Damon

    That problably means that step succeeded, but the next one fails, so it
    can't be printed...

    Next thing should be initializing the network interfaces. Maybe that fails.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  4. Re: Why do I get this?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    >>
    >> Starting Hal Damon
    >>
    >> Just hangs there. You mean after booting the install CD, going
    >> through all that crap and come to this and my CPU frequency is
    >> inadequate? Why? Why not tell me at the beginning?
    >>
    >> What happened was the install hanged on install boot loader so I had
    >> to reboot. Now I go through the CD install again and select boot
    >> install system and get the above and it hangs up every time.

    > CPU's frequency in inadequate, it means that the kernel can't modify
    > your CPU's frequency. That is no reason to hang (I get the same message
    > in many PCs that don't support Intel SpeedStep or AMD Cool'n'Quiet or
    > AMD PowerNow or whatever those things are called).
    >
    > Try booting in safe mode.
    >
    > Also, it would be a good idea to post what version of openSUSE you're
    > talking about and your CPU model.

    Oh, I forgot that. It's opensuse 10.3 on an old K6-2 400mhz.

    I don't really need opensuse to work on it though that's all that
    recognizes the 300 gig slave drive. As it is I run Windows ME on hda1 8
    gig drive and an 8 gig partition on the 300 I run Slax live off the HD
    with loadlin. Opensuse made a 2 gig swap, 20 gig root and 280 gig home.
    I only have 260 meg of ram so it's slow. I plan to try an IDE pci
    interface for the harddrives and get 512 ram for it before I junk it and
    get a new Pentium 3ghz ECS board for that box.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ☮ ☻ ¥

  5. Re: Why do I get this?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    >>
    >> Starting Hal Damon
    >>
    >> Just hangs there. You mean after booting the install CD, going
    >> through all that crap and come to this and my CPU frequency is
    >> inadequate? Why? Why not tell me at the beginning?
    >>
    >> What happened was the install hanged on install boot loader so I had
    >> to reboot. Now I go through the CD install again and select boot
    >> install system and get the above and it hangs up every time.

    > CPU's frequency in inadequate, it means that the kernel can't modify
    > your CPU's frequency. That is no reason to hang (I get the same message
    > in many PCs that don't support Intel SpeedStep or AMD Cool'n'Quiet or
    > AMD PowerNow or whatever those things are called).
    >
    > Try booting in safe mode.
    >
    > Also, it would be a good idea to post what version of openSUSE you're
    > talking about and your CPU model.

    How do you boot into safe mode from the install menu (other) option
    (Boot installed system)?
    Another thing that bugs me is why can't install remember where it was
    and continue the installation when you have to reboot after a lock up
    instead of having to delete the partitions and start all over again? I
    can never get back to where I was in the install process without redoing
    everything.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  6. Re: Why do I get this?

    Claude Hopper 5 ? wrote:
    > How do you boot into safe mode from the install menu (other) option
    > (Boot installed system)?

    Type '1' as a boot option.

    > Another thing that bugs me is why can't install remember where it was
    > and continue the installation when you have to reboot after a lock up
    > instead of having to delete the partitions and start all over again?

    Because if things go bad, it was already going bad where you were, so if
    you re-start there the possibilaty that you start from something that is
    already bad are huge.

    Als up till the actual install, everything is in memory. It only then
    reformats the drives and only then can start the instalation and only
    then could write away something. As things go bad there, it will copy
    the errors as well.

    > I can never get back to where I was in the install process without
    > redoing everything.

    See above.

    houghi
    | Artist : Jimi Hendrix
    | Song : The Wind Cried Mary
    | Album : Randall's Island

  7. Re: Why do I get this?

    On Wed, 14 May 2008, Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:-

    >How do you boot into safe mode from the install menu (other) option
    >(Boot installed system)?

    If the boot loader has installed correctly, boot using the fail-safe
    option. If it hasn't, start in run-level 1.

    >Another thing that bugs me is why can't install remember where it was
    >and continue the installation when you have to reboot after a lock up
    >instead of having to delete the partitions and start all over again?

    You don't have to delete everything and start over. On the very rare
    occasions where something has caused a lockup while installing, these
    are the steps I took[0]:

    Select "Installation"

    When the licence is displayed, press CTRL-ALT-F2 to switch to a console.
    Type in the command:

    fdisk -l | grep -i swap

    Activate the swap partition using:

    swapon

    Press ALT-F7 to return to the graphical installer

    Proceed through the screens until you get to the "Installation Type"
    screen.

    Select "Update"

    Identify correct / partition for openSUSE 10.3, select it and proceed.

    On the Installation Settings screen click on the "Update Options" link.

    Select "Only Update Installed Packages"
    Deselect "Delete Unmaintained Packages"
    Click "Accept"

    Click "Accept" to start the "Upgrade"

    Click "Start Update" on the "Confirm Update" box.

    Leave the machine alone until either a warning is displayed or the
    system reboots.

    Finally, proceed with the second stage of the installation.

    > I can never get back to where I was in the install process without
    >redoing everything.

    Well, once you get to stage two, if it falls over it will start that
    part again. The good news is that YaST will read most of the settings
    that were configured before the failure, although you will probably end
    up being able to set a new root password after each failure.

    [0] Slightly modified to handle that new-fangled graphical installer.
    The last time I recall having to actually do this was when I was doing a
    net install of either SuSE 7.0 or 7.1 using a dial-up.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0b2

  8. Re: Why do I get this?

    Claude Hopper ⑪ ⒌ ☺ wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Starting Hal Damon
    >>>
    >>> Just hangs there. You mean after booting the install CD, going
    >>> through all that crap and come to this and my CPU frequency is
    >>> inadequate? Why? Why not tell me at the beginning?
    >>>
    >>> What happened was the install hanged on install boot loader so I had
    >>> to reboot. Now I go through the CD install again and select boot
    >>> install system and get the above and it hangs up every time.

    >> your CPU's frequency in inadequate, it means that the kernel can't
    >> modify your CPU's frequency. That is no reason to hang (I get the
    >> same message in many PCs that don't support Intel SpeedStep or AMD
    >> Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow or whatever those things are called).
    >>
    >> Try booting in safe mode.
    >>
    >> Also, it would be a good idea to post what version of openSUSE you're
    >> talking about and your CPU model.

    > Oh, I forgot that. It's opensuse 10.3 on an old K6-2 400mhz.

    eww. If you are planning on running KDE or GNOME, its not going to be
    pretty. What I mean is it will be slow.

  9. Re: Why do I get this?

    moe wrote:
    > Claude Hopper ⑪ ⒌ ☺ wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >>> your CPU's frequency in inadequate, it means that the kernel can't
    >>> modify your CPU's frequency. That is no reason to hang (I get the
    >>> same message in many PCs that don't support Intel SpeedStep or AMD
    >>> Cool'n'Quiet or AMD PowerNow or whatever those things are called).
    >>>
    >>> Try booting in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> Also, it would be a good idea to post what version of openSUSE you're
    >>> talking about and your CPU model.

    >> Oh, I forgot that. It's opensuse 10.3 on an old K6-2 400mhz.
    >>

    > eww. If you are planning on running KDE or GNOME, its not going to be
    > pretty. What I mean is it will be slow.

    I'd run fvwm if I could get that far.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ☮ ☻ ¥

  10. Re: Why do I get this?

    Claude Hopper ⑪ ⒌ ☺ wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Starting Hal Damon
    >>>
    >>> Just hangs there. [...]

    >> [...]
    >> Also, it would be a good idea to post what version of openSUSE you're
    >> talking about and your CPU model.

    > Oh, I forgot that. It's opensuse 10.3 on an old K6-2 400mhz.

    I think you'll be having a hard time with this CPU. The openSUSE 10.3
    kernel isn't really compiled with this old hardware in mind. The think
    I recommend is to try other Linux distros and see is one works out of
    the box. I'd start with Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org), a distro
    designed with old hardware in mind. There's also Slackware
    (http://www.slackware.com), but that one I don't recommend for
    non-experienced Unix/Linux folks.

+ Reply to Thread