Yast software management just quits - Suse

This is a discussion on Yast software management just quits - Suse ; Using a relatively new install of Open SUSE 10.3, I find that Software management just goes away a few seconds after selecting the 'accept'. There are no errors logged anywhere I have looked. I have tried the 'repair' from the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Yast software management just quits

  1. Yast software management just quits

    Using a relatively new install of Open SUSE 10.3, I find that Software
    management just goes away a few seconds after selecting the 'accept'.
    There are no errors logged anywhere I have looked. I have tried
    the 'repair' from the installation DVD, as well as rebuilding the RPM
    database, deleting zypp.db and refreshing it.( not in that order )

    If I had a real error message, I could do a better search. I have found
    some indication of others with this problem, but there is nothing
    recommended that has worked for me so far. Please don't suggest to
    re-install from scratch, that's for 'toy' OS's.

    Thanks,
    Freddy

    --
    moving mechanism can result in personal injury

    /|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>\|
    /| I may be demented \|
    /| but I'm not crazy! \|
    /|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<\|
    * SPAyM trap: there is no X in my address *


  2. Re: Yast software management just quits

    Hello

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:04:51 -0400, Freddy1X wrote:

    > Using a relatively new install of Open SUSE 10.3, I find that Software
    > management just goes away a few seconds after selecting the 'accept'.
    > There are no errors logged anywhere I have looked. I have tried the
    > 'repair' from the installation DVD, as well as rebuilding the RPM
    > database, deleting zypp.db and refreshing it.( not in that order )
    >
    > If I had a real error message, I could do a better search. I have found
    > some indication of others with this problem, but there is nothing
    > recommended that has worked for me so far. Please don't suggest to
    > re-install from scratch, that's for 'toy' OS's.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Freddy


    You could try running yast from a terminal as some errors do not have
    graphical messages but are placed in the terminal that yast is run from.

    Regards,

    Yoda

  3. Re: Yast software management just quits

    Yoda wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:04:51 -0400, Freddy1X wrote:
    >
    >> Using a relatively new install of Open SUSE 10.3, I find that Software
    >> management just goes away a few seconds after selecting the 'accept'.
    >> There are no errors logged anywhere I have looked. I have tried the
    >> 'repair' from the installation DVD, as well as rebuilding the RPM
    >> database, deleting zypp.db and refreshing it.( not in that order )
    >>
    >> If I had a real error message, I could do a better search. I have found
    >> some indication of others with this problem, but there is nothing
    >> recommended that has worked for me so far. Please don't suggest to
    >> re-install from scratch, that's for 'toy' OS's.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Freddy

    >
    > You could try running yast from a terminal as some errors do not have
    > graphical messages but are placed in the terminal that yast is run from.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Yoda


    Thanks for your suggestion. Why didn't I try that yesterday?

    YAST, the novel, runs the software install through to completion without
    error( Thankyou sir, may I have another! ) YAST, the movie, still quits
    with no sigh of error. Does YAST maintain it's own logs?

    Freddy,
    annoyed, but getting it done.

    --
    no climbing

    /|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>\|
    /| I may be demented \|
    /| but I'm not crazy! \|
    /|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<\|
    * SPAyM trap: there is no X in my address *


  4. Re: Yast software management just quits

    Hello

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 00:29:04 -0400, Freddy1X wrote:



    > YAST, the novel, runs the software install through to completion without
    > error( Thankyou sir, may I have another! ) YAST, the movie, still quits
    > with no sigh of error. Does YAST maintain it's own logs?
    >
    > Freddy,
    > annoyed, but getting it done.


    There seem to be fairly comprehensive logs at /var/log/YaST2/y2log
    (Most system programs' logs are in /var/log for future reference)

    Regards

    Yoda

  5. Re: Yast software management just quits

    Yoda wrote:
    ( cuts )

    > There seem to be fairly comprehensive logs at /var/log/YaST2/y2log
    > (Most system programs' logs are in /var/log for future reference)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Yoda


    ( emits Homer-esque D'oh! )
    looks at log... this may take a few days. No glaringly obvious error
    messages there.

    Thanks,
    Freddy

    --
    local traffic only

    /|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>\|
    /| I may be demented \|
    /| but I'm not crazy! \|
    /|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<\|
    * SPAyM trap: there is no X in my address *


+ Reply to Thread