Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help - Suse

This is a discussion on Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help - Suse ; I can't figure out how to fix this: doing info-list-view on my mp3 folder no longer lists the artist, album, etc. If I do "view | view-as" it doesn't even give me the option for mp3... My file association seems ...

  1. Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help

    I can't figure out how to fix this: doing info-list-view on my mp3
    folder no longer lists the artist, album, etc. If I do "view |
    view-as" it doesn't even give me the option for mp3...

    My file association seems fine. If I click on the .mp3 file it opens
    in Amarok correctly.

    If I pause the pointer over the .mp3 filename, the pop-up window
    doesn't list the artist, album, etc. any more.

    It seems to have forgotten that .mp3 files can have metadata.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Greg

  2. Re: Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help

    Greg wrote:

    > I can't figure out how to fix this: doing info-list-view on my mp3
    > folder no longer lists the artist, album, etc. If I do "view |
    > view-as" it doesn't even give me the option for mp3...
    >
    > My file association seems fine. If I click on the .mp3 file it opens
    > in Amarok correctly.
    >
    > If I pause the pointer over the .mp3 filename, the pop-up window
    > doesn't list the artist, album, etc. any more.
    >
    > It seems to have forgotten that .mp3 files can have metadata.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > Greg

    check if you have "kdemultimedia3-jukebox"
    if not install --> log out --> log in ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help

    EOS wrote:

    > Greg wrote:
    >
    >> I can't figure out how to fix this: doing info-list-view on my mp3
    >> folder no longer lists the artist, album, etc. If I do "view |
    >> view-as" it doesn't even give me the option for mp3...
    >>
    >> My file association seems fine. If I click on the .mp3 file it opens
    >> in Amarok correctly.
    >>
    >> If I pause the pointer over the .mp3 filename, the pop-up window
    >> doesn't list the artist, album, etc. any more.
    >>
    >> It seems to have forgotten that .mp3 files can have metadata.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated!
    >>
    >> Greg

    > check if you have "kdemultimedia3-jukebox"
    > if not install --> log out --> log in ;-)

    I also have this problem and have (and have had) kdemultimedia3-jukebox
    installed. I think the meta data it worked until kde 3.5.9 (though it could
    be a Suse 10.3 issue).

    PS - long ago there was post in the OpenSuse forums that addressed but did
    not resolve this.
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.9, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  4. Re: Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:55:30 GMT, Bill P wrote:

    >EOS wrote:
    >
    >> Greg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't figure out how to fix this: doing info-list-view on my mp3
    >>> folder no longer lists the artist, album, etc. If I do "view |
    >>> view-as" it doesn't even give me the option for mp3...
    >>>
    >>> My file association seems fine. If I click on the .mp3 file it opens
    >>> in Amarok correctly.
    >>>
    >>> If I pause the pointer over the .mp3 filename, the pop-up window
    >>> doesn't list the artist, album, etc. any more.
    >>>
    >>> It seems to have forgotten that .mp3 files can have metadata.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated!
    >>>
    >>> Greg

    >> check if you have "kdemultimedia3-jukebox"
    >> if not install --> log out --> log in ;-)

    I installed it, but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though,
    especially the reminder to log out to restart KDE after each attempted
    fix. I installed every package beginning with kdemultimedia3 - also
    no fix.

    >Bill P wrote:
    >I also have this problem and have (and have had) kdemultimedia3-jukebox
    >installed. I think the meta data it worked until kde 3.5.9 (though it could
    >be a Suse 10.3 issue).
    >
    >PS - long ago there was post in the OpenSuse forums that addressed but did
    >not resolve this.

    It's depressing to hear that this has been raised before with no
    resolution... I believe that this happened right after I installed
    Realplayer 10. Uninstalling it didn't help though. This problem
    occurs for all users, so it's not something wrong in my ~/.kde. It
    makes sense that package management has screwed something up. I would
    think that it is something to do with my mp3-decoder software, but I
    can still play mp3s, so that must be ok. It seems that removing and
    re-installing kdemultimedia should fix it. I'm not too knowledgable
    with package management though, so I think I'll wait until I've done a
    backup to try that. :-)

    If I were using what another poster called a "toy OS" I'd just
    reinstall everything from scratch (the usual solution). But that's no
    way to learn anything!

    Thanks for the replies.

  5. Re: Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 16:44:25 -0400, Greg wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:55:30 GMT, Bill P wrote:
    >
    >>EOS wrote:

    >>> check if you have "kdemultimedia3-jukebox"
    >>> if not install --> log out --> log in ;-)

    >I installed it, but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though,
    >especially the reminder to log out to restart KDE after each attempted
    >fix. I installed every package beginning with kdemultimedia3 - also
    >no fix.
    >
    >>Bill P wrote:
    >>I also have this problem and have (and have had) kdemultimedia3-jukebox
    >>installed. I think the meta data it worked until kde 3.5.9 (though it could
    >>be a Suse 10.3 issue).
    >>
    >>PS - long ago there was post in the OpenSuse forums that addressed but did
    >>not resolve this.

    >It's depressing to hear that this has been raised before with no
    >resolution... I believe that this happened right after I installed
    >Realplayer 10. Uninstalling it didn't help though. This problem
    >occurs for all users, so it's not something wrong in my ~/.kde. It
    >makes sense that package management has screwed something up. I would
    >think that it is something to do with my mp3-decoder software, but I
    >can still play mp3s, so that must be ok. It seems that removing and
    >re-installing kdemultimedia should fix it. I'm not too knowledgable
    >with package management though, so I think I'll wait until I've done a
    >backup to try that. :-)
    >
    >If I were using what another poster called a "toy OS" I'd just
    >reinstall everything from scratch (the usual solution). But that's no
    >way to learn anything!
    >
    >Thanks for the replies.

    Oh, I should have mentioned that I'm using standard 32-bit 10.3, with
    Packman kdemultimedia.

  6. Re: Konqueror no longer lists metainfo (artist, album) for .mp3 files - Help

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 16:46:31 -0400, Greg wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 May 2008 16:44:25 -0400, Greg wrote:

    >>I installed it, but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though,
    >>especially the reminder to log out to restart KDE after each attempted
    >>fix. I installed every package beginning with kdemultimedia3 - also
    >>no fix.
    >>
    >>>Bill P wrote:
    >>>I also have this problem and have (and have had) kdemultimedia3-jukebox
    >>>installed. I think the meta data it worked until kde 3.5.9 (though it could
    >>>be a Suse 10.3 issue).
    >>>
    >>>PS - long ago there was post in the OpenSuse forums that addressed but did
    >>>not resolve this.

    >>It's depressing to hear that this has been raised before with no
    >>resolution... I believe that this happened right after I installed
    >>Realplayer 10. Uninstalling it didn't help though. This problem
    >>occurs for all users, so it's not something wrong in my ~/.kde. It
    >>makes sense that package management has screwed something up. I would
    >>think that it is something to do with my mp3-decoder software, but I
    >>can still play mp3s, so that must be ok. It seems that removing and
    >>re-installing kdemultimedia should fix it. I'm not too knowledgable
    >>with package management though, so I think I'll wait until I've done a
    >>backup to try that. :-)
    >>
    >>If I were using what another poster called a "toy OS" I'd just
    >>reinstall everything from scratch (the usual solution). But that's no
    >>way to learn anything!
    >>
    >>Thanks for the replies.

    >Oh, I should have mentioned that I'm using standard 32-bit 10.3, with
    >Packman kdemultimedia.

    SOLVED! I googled with different search terms, looking for the thread
    Bill P. mentioned and found the solution:

    Do "Personal Settings" - "KDE Components" - "Find Filename Pattern"
    mp3

    The only result should be under audio: x-mp3. If there is also one
    called: mpeg, remove it! No more problem. Repeat for each user.

    I think something, probably Realplayer, added the bogus mpeg entry on
    a global basis. I don't know how to fix it globally, but the above
    solution is good enough for me...

    Greg

+ Reply to Thread