USB Modem - Suse

This is a discussion on USB Modem - Suse ; I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56 modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3 X86-64? Thanks Paul...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: USB Modem

  1. USB Modem

    I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3 X86-64?

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: USB Modem

    Paul Thompson a écrit :
    > I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    > modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3 X86-64?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    If i were you i would buy a ethernet modem.
    JM

  3. Re: USB Modem

    JMR wrote:
    > Paul Thompson a écrit :
    >> I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    >> modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3 X86-64?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    > If i were you i would buy a ethernet modem.


    There are 56k dial-up ethernet modems?

  4. Re: USB Modem

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > JMR wrote:
    >> Paul Thompson a écrit :
    >>> I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    >>> modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3
    >>> X86-64?


    I don't know of any that work properly outside of Wins.
    Although "Ndiswrapper" is supposed to help.

    >>> Thanks
    >>> Paul

    >> If i were you i would buy a ethernet modem.

    >
    > There are 56k dial-up ethernet modems?


    Non that I know of ! You can still get external 56K dial up modems
    though.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  5. Re: USB Modem

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > JMR wrote:
    >> Paul Thompson a écrit :
    >>> I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    >>> modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3
    >>> X86-64?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Paul

    >> If i were you i would buy a ethernet modem.

    >
    > There are 56k dial-up ethernet modems?


    I was using a Webramp 200i before DSL came to the area. My side of the box
    behaves like your typical WAN-router. Other side connected with a built-in
    56K modem.

    --
    replace cap after use

    /|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>\|
    /| I may be demented \|
    /| but I'm not crazy! \|
    /|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<\|
    * SPAyM trap: there is no X in my address *


  6. Re: USB Modem

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:50:03 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:

    > I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    > modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3
    > X86-64?


    The Zoom 3095 USB Mini External 56K Modem works with Linux. It uses the
    Conexant chipset, which can be run under Linux with the Linuxant driver
    (see www.linuxant.com). This driver does cost $20 (US) if you want the
    full capabilities.

    This was the only one that I found that actually states it works with
    Linux. They even give a copy of the driver on the disk
    (an old one though. You will want to get the latest one from linuxant)


    I bought one to go with my eeePC (on ebay), as I very occasionally need
    dial up. They seem to come up quite regularly on ebay.

    NB I assume that it will work with x86_64.

    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul






    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey
    david _AT_ bailey dot id dot au

  7. Re: USB Modem

    David Bailey wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:50:03 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    >> modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3
    >> X86-64?

    >
    > The Zoom 3095 USB Mini External 56K Modem works with Linux. It uses the
    > Conexant chipset, which can be run under Linux with the Linuxant driver
    > (see www.linuxant.com). This driver does cost $20 (US) if you want the
    > full capabilities.
    >
    > This was the only one that I found that actually states it works with
    > Linux. They even give a copy of the driver on the disk
    > (an old one though. You will want to get the latest one from linuxant)
    >
    >
    > I bought one to go with my eeePC (on ebay), as I very occasionally need
    > dial up. They seem to come up quite regularly on ebay.
    >
    > NB I assume that it will work with x86_64.
    >
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Thanks David, good recommendation.

    Paul

  8. Re: USB Modem

    David Bailey wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:50:03 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> I'm giving up on getting this new notebook's built in Motorola SM56
    >> modem working. Has anyone found a USB modem that works with 10.3
    >> X86-64?

    >
    > The Zoom 3095 USB Mini External 56K Modem works with Linux. It uses the
    > Conexant chipset, which can be run under Linux with the Linuxant driver
    > (see www.linuxant.com). This driver does cost $20 (US) if you want the
    > full capabilities.
    >
    > This was the only one that I found that actually states it works with
    > Linux. They even give a copy of the driver on the disk
    > (an old one though. You will want to get the latest one from linuxant)
    >
    >
    > I bought one to go with my eeePC (on ebay), as I very occasionally need
    > dial up. They seem to come up quite regularly on ebay.
    >
    > NB I assume that it will work with x86_64.
    >



    Got it working, had to download the generic DGC driver from Linuxant.


+ Reply to Thread