how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu - Suse

This is a discussion on how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu - Suse ; I want to start remote X sessions on the ubuntu pc with applications running on the suse 10.3 server. When the ubuntu pc starts, it already start the X server program with local gnome session. How do I tell the ...

  1. how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu

    I want to start remote X sessions on the ubuntu pc with applications
    running on the suse 10.3 server. When the ubuntu pc starts, it
    already start the X server program with local gnome session. How do I
    tell the ubuntu pc to start an remote session of the suse server; on
    wikipedia they tell I should have
    export DISPLAY=suseserver:0
    But where ? On the tty1 of the ubuntu pc ? And do I have to stop the
    local gnome session ? Or can I start a second graphical console
    displaying the remote desktop ?
    And what other actions do I have to take: on the suse ? on the
    ubuntu ?

  2. Re: how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu

    miguel wrote:

    > I want to start remote X sessions on the ubuntu pc with applications
    > running on the suse 10.3 server. When the ubuntu pc starts, it
    > already start the X server program with local gnome session. How do I
    > tell the ubuntu pc to start an remote session of the suse server; on
    > wikipedia they tell I should have
    > export DISPLAY=suseserver:0
    > But where ? On the tty1 of the ubuntu pc ? And do I have to stop the
    > local gnome session ? Or can I start a second graphical console
    > displaying the remote desktop ?
    > And what other actions do I have to take: on the suse ? on the
    > ubuntu ?

    For kde try Krdc & Krfb. Easy to use gui for remote desktop control.

  3. Re: how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu

    The carbonbased lifeform miguel inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > I want to start remote X sessions on the ubuntu pc with applications
    > running on the suse 10.3 server. When the ubuntu pc starts, it
    > already start the X server program with local gnome session. How do I
    > tell the ubuntu pc to start an remote session of the suse server; on
    > wikipedia they tell I should have
    > export DISPLAY=suseserver:0
    > But where ? On the tty1 of the ubuntu pc ? And do I have to stop the
    > local gnome session ? Or can I start a second graphical console
    > displaying the remote desktop ?
    > And what other actions do I have to take: on the suse ? on the
    > ubuntu ?

    Install FreeNX on the server and use knx on the Ubuntu client. Much
    faster, easier and more secure than X.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  4. Re: how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > miguel wrote:
    >
    >> I want to start remote X sessions on the ubuntu pc with applications
    >> running on the suse 10.3 server. When the ubuntu pc starts, it
    >> already start the X server program with local gnome session. How do I
    >> tell the ubuntu pc to start an remote session of the suse server; on
    >> wikipedia they tell I should have
    >> export DISPLAY=suseserver:0
    >> But where ? On the tty1 of the ubuntu pc ? And do I have to stop the
    >> local gnome session ? Or can I start a second graphical console
    >> displaying the remote desktop ?
    >> And what other actions do I have to take: on the suse ? on the
    >> ubuntu ?

    > For kde try Krdc & Krfb. Easy to use gui for remote desktop control.

    for Gnome there is Vino....

    Sorry I forgot to mention this since you did say you're using Gnome.

  5. Re: how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu

    miguel,

    In your setup (which I think is pretty basic), you may not want to
    implement the VNC-based solutions mentioned. You may also not be able
    (due to missing rights) on your server. In that case, this DISPLAY
    environment variable comes into play, and the setup is not difficult
    either :
    - on your client (no need to stop the gnome desktop !), start an xterm
    (typically done by means of xterm, or on kde by means of konsole, I
    don't know how it's done on gnome, but there's certainly a similar
    program available)
    - in that shell on your desktop, login to the server (by means of
    telnet, or ssh) --> of course, you'll need to know your login name AND
    your password (on the server)
    - once logged in to the server, on your (server) shell's command line,
    type
    export DISPLAY=ip_address_of_your_client
    or
    export DISPLAY=name_of_your_client
    then type
    /path/to/the/application/on/the/server

    provided you have an XServer running (which you say you are), you
    should see the application popping up on your screen.

    Hope this helps,

    PhB

  6. Re: how to start Xserver remote desktop sessions suse-ubuntu

    On 10 mei, 11:52, PhB wrote:
    > miguel,
    >
    > In your setup (which I think is pretty basic), you may not want to
    > implement the VNC-based solutions mentioned. You may also not be able
    > (due to missing rights) on your server. In that case, this DISPLAY
    > environment variable comes into play, and the setup is not difficult
    > either :
    > - on your client (no need to stop the gnome desktop !), start an xterm
    > (typically done by means of xterm, or on kde by means of konsole, I
    > don't know how it's done on gnome, but there's certainly a similar
    > program available)
    > - in that shell on your desktop, login to the server (by means of
    > telnet, or ssh) --> of course, you'll need to know your login name AND
    > your password (on the server)
    > - once logged in to the server, on your (server) shell's command line,
    > type
    > export DISPLAY=ip_address_of_your_client
    > or
    > export DISPLAY=name_of_your_client
    > then type
    > /path/to/the/application/on/the/server
    >
    > provided you have an XServer running (which you say you are), you
    > should see the application popping up on your screen.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > PhB

    Thanks, this gave me the hint. I start the KDE session via ssl with
    following command in a terminal window:
    ssl -fCX user@host kde

    This launches my remote KDE desktop. It appears over my local gnome
    desktop. I know that the Xserver can run more than 1 GUI session like
    there are often 4 tty session available by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fnumber
    where number=1-4 for tty and 7 for the first Xserver session. How do
    I get the second Xserver GUI for the remote session at postion 8 (I
    mean by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8) ?

+ Reply to Thread