Weird happening to openSUSE - Suse

This is a discussion on Weird happening to openSUSE - Suse ; This morning, I downloaded the new 4.0 edition of Puppy Linux and updated the two copies that I keep on flash drives for carrying around my data. I only saved the updated files to the flash drives, and did not ...

  1. Weird happening to openSUSE

    This morning, I downloaded the new 4.0 edition of Puppy Linux and updated
    the two copies that I keep on flash drives for carrying around my data.
    I only saved the updated files to the flash drives, and did not touch my
    hard drives which contain openSUSE 10.3

    Then, when I took the Puppy CD out of my drive and removed the flash drives
    to go back into openSUSE, all of the applets on the right side of my panel
    had disappeared, my windows had no borders, and my desktop 2 was also gone!

    I tried re-booting, and the same condition existed. Next, I got out my
    openSUSE DVD and intended to do a repair of any corrupted files from it.
    Each time that I told the DVD to do a repair I received a little red popup
    saying that there was an error, but not specifying what kind or where. On
    the third try, I succeeded in booting back into openSUSE, and everything
    was back to normal!

    I don't believe in ghosts, but??? I wasn't certain whether to post this on
    the SUSE newsgroup or the Puppy forum.

    Any thoughts as to what may have happened?

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Weird happening to openSUSE

    Godzilla wrote:

    > This morning, I downloaded the new 4.0 edition of Puppy Linux and updated
    > the two copies that I keep on flash drives for carrying around my data.
    > I only saved the updated files to the flash drives, and did not touch my
    > hard drives which contain openSUSE 10.3
    >
    > Then, when I took the Puppy CD out of my drive and removed the flash
    > drives to go back into openSUSE, all of the applets on the right side of
    > my panel had disappeared, my windows had no borders, and my desktop 2 was
    > also gone!
    >
    > I tried re-booting, and the same condition existed. Next, I got out my
    > openSUSE DVD and intended to do a repair of any corrupted files from it.
    > Each time that I told the DVD to do a repair I received a little red popup
    > saying that there was an error, but not specifying what kind or where. On
    > the third try, I succeeded in booting back into openSUSE, and everything
    > was back to normal!
    >
    > I don't believe in ghosts, but??? I wasn't certain whether to post this on
    > the SUSE newsgroup or the Puppy forum.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to what may have happened?
    >
    > Godzilla

    Perhaps it was a coincidence that this fault occurred after playing with
    Puppy. Upon booting up last night, it had the same malfunction upon the
    first boot and came up normally when I re-booted. This morning, when I
    turned the computer on, it followed the same pattern of booting without the
    right side applets, and reverted to normal when I rebooted.

    Now, I am given to suspect that there is a corrupted file in the KDE
    desktop, but which one and how to restore?

    Godzilla

+ Reply to Thread