What is the correct procedure to config sshd service? - Suse

This is a discussion on What is the correct procedure to config sshd service? - Suse ; My suse is Opensuse10.0 My client box is Windows server 2003, the ssh tunnel is putty. from the windows side, the suse is ping-able, but ssh connection can't be estabilished. The putty gave message "Network error: Connection timed out". from ...

  1. What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    My suse is Opensuse10.0
    My client box is Windows server 2003, the ssh tunnel is putty.

    from the windows side, the suse is ping-able, but ssh connection can't
    be estabilished. The putty gave message "Network error: Connection
    timed out".

    from the suse side, the windows is NOT ping-able. I tried ssh from
    suse to itself, both root and other users work fine.

    The suse network adapter works fine, I can access internet with
    firefox without any problem.
    The windows network is working without problem.

    Can someone give me some hits?

    (I've set the PasswordAuthentication to yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config;
    The Protocol set to 2.)

    Thanks a lot

  2. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    On May 6, 6:44 am, mike-yue wrote:
    > My suse is Opensuse10.0
    > My client box is Windows server 2003, the ssh tunnel is putty.
    > from the windows side, the suse is ping-able, but ssh connection can't
    > be estabilished. The putty gave message "Network error: Connection
    > timed out".
    > from the suse side, the windows is NOT ping-able. I tried ssh from
    > suse to itself, both root and other users work fine.
    > The suse network adapter works fine, I can access internet with
    > firefox without any problem.
    > The windows network is working without problem.
    > Can someone give me some hits?
    > (I've set the PasswordAuthentication to yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config;
    > The Protocol set to 2.)

    Open the SSH port on the firewall of your SuSE box; and make sure the
    service is enabled (chkconfig sshd on; service sshd start)

  3. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    mike-yue wrote:
    > My suse is Opensuse10.0
    > My client box is Windows server 2003, the ssh tunnel is putty.
    >
    > from the windows side, the suse is ping-able, but ssh connection can't
    > be estabilished. The putty gave message "Network error: Connection
    > timed out".

    Most likely your firewall that has a closed ssh. It is closed by
    default. Do a `telnet ssh.example.com 22` to see if that works. If not,
    it will be your firewall or something else network related.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  4. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    On 5月6日, 上午4时00分, whitemice wrote:
    > On May 6, 6:44 am, mike-yue wrote:
    >
    > > My suse is Opensuse10.0
    > > My client box is Windows server 2003, the ssh tunnel is putty.
    > > from the windows side, the suse is ping-able, but ssh connection can't
    > > be estabilished. The putty gave message "Network error: Connection
    > > timed out".
    > > from the suse side, the windows is NOT ping-able. I tried ssh from
    > > suse to itself, both root and other users work fine.
    > > The suse network adapter works fine, I can access internet with
    > > firefox without any problem.
    > > The windows network is working without problem.
    > > Can someone give me some hits?
    > > (I've set the PasswordAuthentication to yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config;
    > > The Protocol set to 2.)

    > Open the SSH port on the firewall of your SuSE box; and make sure the
    > service is enabled (chkconfig sshd on; service sshd start)

    port 22 is opened, and sshd is running.
    from suse side, ssh root@127.0.0.1 is working fine; ssh
    mike@192.168.0.3 also works. so it is neither an issue of the port,
    nor the sshd daemon.

  5. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    On 5月6日, 上午4时09分, houghi wrote:
    > mike-yue wrote:
    > > My suse is Opensuse10.0
    > > My client box is Windows server 2003, the ssh tunnel is putty.

    > > from the windows side, the suse is ping-able, but ssh connection can't
    > > be estabilished. The putty gave message "Network error: Connection
    > > timed out".

    > Most likely your firewall that has a closed ssh. It is closed by
    > default. Do a `telnet ssh.example.com 22` to see if that works. If not,
    > it will be your firewall or something else network related.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    > Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    > Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    > When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

    "telnet 127.0.0.1 22 "works fine.
    Are there any other settings?

  6. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    mike-yue wrote:
    > "telnet 127.0.0.1 22 "works fine.
    > Are there any other settings?

    Not that I ever needed to set. Does it work from there to another
    machine in another network or from somewhwere else to there?

    The only other thing I can think of is there might be routing issues.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  7. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    On 5月6日, 下午11时59分, houghi wrote:
    > mike-yue wrote:
    > > "telnet 127.0.0.1 22 "works fine.
    > > Are there any other settings?

    > Not that I ever needed to set. Does it work from there to another
    > machine in another network or from somewhwere else to there?
    >
    > The only other thing I can think of is there might be routing issues.
    >
    > houghi
    > -->>>> Run the following from the bashprompt if you have the kernel sources
    >
    > for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    > do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    > then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

    Two laptops connect to one netgear router wirelessly.
    I just checked the router settings, but don't see any special setting
    there.
    All services are permitted, no site is blocked. No port forwarding
    settings.

  8. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    I just solved the issue.
    The solutions is: modify /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 as the /usr/
    share/doc/packages/SuSEfirewall2/EXAMPLES sample 2. Small home
    network.
    The sample settings are:
    FW_DEV_EXT="dsl0"
    FW_DEV_INT="eth0"
    FW_ROUTE="yes"
    FW_MASQUERADE="yes"
    FW_MASQ_NETS="192.168.10.0/24"

    after I reboot the suse(should I restart sth instead of reboot?) the
    ssh works good from windows side.
    I know it is a little risk, but, I just want the ssh connection
    working for a couple of hours, then I will change all settings back.

    Thank you guys for your time.

  9. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    mike-yue wrote:
    > I just solved the issue.
    > The solutions is: modify /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 as the /usr/

    So it was the firewall after all. I just open that during the
    instalation or in YaST later on to allow ssh or anything else to pass.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  10. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    mike-yue wrote:
    > (should I restart sth instead of reboot?)

    No need to reboot - just execute "rcSuSEfirewall2 restart".

  11. Re: What is the correct procedure to config sshd service?

    On 5月7日, 上午9时23分, Gary Gapinski wrote:
    > mike-yue wrote:
    > > (should I restart sth instead of reboot?)

    > No need to reboot - just execute "rcSuSEfirewall2 restart".

    Got you. Thanks buddy

+ Reply to Thread