Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse ; Darrell Stec wrote: >> And sure windowses can be bought. >> > > But that is the whole point. They already purchased Windows once with the > machine, just like I did with mine. The purchase price was built in. ...

  1. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Darrell Stec wrote:

    >> And sure windowses can be bought.
    >>

    > But that is the whole point. They already purchased Windows once with the
    > machine, just like I did with mine. The purchase price was built in. When
    > there are no disks and only an all or nothing recovery partition then
    > virtual machines are of no use. To use Windows they must purchase a second
    > copy on disk.
    >
    > So yes Windows can be purchased but with a VM it gets bought twice.

    Just install from a 'copy' of a regular Windows install disk. The
    important point, legally, is whether you have a license to use it or
    not. If one came with your original machine then you should be fine
    provided you haven't used that license to install it elsewhere due to M$
    'one install per license' policy. The install media is fairly
    irrelevant, it's the usage license you need to worry about, which you
    already have so no need to buy a second one!

  2. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 06:23:53 -0400, class_a wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >>> And sure windowses can be bought.
    >>>

    >> But that is the whole point. They already purchased Windows once with
    >> the machine, just like I did with mine. The purchase price was built
    >> in. When there are no disks and only an all or nothing recovery
    >> partition then virtual machines are of no use. To use Windows they
    >> must purchase a second copy on disk.
    >>
    >> So yes Windows can be purchased but with a VM it gets bought twice.

    > Just install from a 'copy' of a regular Windows install disk. The
    > important point, legally, is whether you have a license to use it or
    > not. If one came with your original machine then you should be fine
    > provided you haven't used that license to install it elsewhere due to M$
    > 'one install per license' policy. The install media is fairly
    > irrelevant, it's the usage license you need to worry about, which you
    > already have so no need to buy a second one!

    The last (1) 'official' line I heard (this was from a MS certified
    licence expert) was that if the machine had originally had an OEM licence
    for 'some' release of Windows, that same version could be legally run in
    a VM on another OS on that machine. In other words, if I take my laptop
    with XP preinstalled, dual boot it with Suse, I can then install XP in a
    Suse controlled VM using the original OEM licence key in addition to the
    native install. Of course, WGA will choke as it sees two different lots
    of 'hardware' but MS will give me new key if I ask nicely (2).

    1: Nearly a year ago - which is a LONG time in the VM world
    2: except, of course, they wont, because its an OEM copy (3), so I need
    to contact the system builder for all support (4)
    3: Unless I'm a corp users who paid the 'upgrade' few to reregister the
    OEM copy as a corp version ('corprate' licences' are really just upgrades
    to OEMs, and dont actually count as a full licence. I think... (4, again)
    4: Its stuff like this that made me look into switching to Linux a few
    years back

  3. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    class_a wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >
    >>> And sure windowses can be bought.
    >>>

    >> But that is the whole point. They already purchased Windows once with
    >> the
    >> machine, just like I did with mine. The purchase price was built in.
    >> When there are no disks and only an all or nothing recovery partition
    >> then
    >> virtual machines are of no use. To use Windows they must purchase a
    >> second copy on disk.
    >>
    >> So yes Windows can be purchased but with a VM it gets bought twice.

    > Just install from a 'copy' of a regular Windows install disk. The
    > important point, legally, is whether you have a license to use it or
    > not. If one came with your original machine then you should be fine
    > provided you haven't used that license to install it elsewhere due to M$
    > 'one install per license' policy. The install media is fairly
    > irrelevant, it's the usage license you need to worry about, which you
    > already have so no need to buy a second one!

    I think technically Microsoft considers that pirating in any case. My whole
    point is that Vahis is excluding a whole class of computers and should be
    aware of it. Most new retail computers now come with that stupid recovery
    partition. I can't tell you how many customers never made up the required
    backup to DVDs of that recovery partition and then had to buy a new hard
    drive because of mechanical failure. And I won't even get into the Tattoo
    on HP and Compaq products.

    I think commercial clients are stuck with purchasing another copy of
    Windows.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > I think commercial clients are stuck with purchasing another copy of
    > Windows.

    Most likely. And that is not an issue to discuss here.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  5. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 17:52:01 -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:
    >I think technically Microsoft considers that pirating in any case. My whole

    What MS considers them is irrelevant if it colludes with the law. Where
    I live (Germany) there has been at least one clear judicial decision
    allowing OEM versions to be installed anytime anywhere. Of course one
    licence per (virtual) machine and all that...

    Aleks

+ Reply to Thread