Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse ; Joost van der Waa wrote: > Besides all the tips on how to solve your problem, you might consider > telling your IT-department that builing IE-only website is building the > legacy application of the future. The next version of ...

  1. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > Besides all the tips on how to solve your problem, you might consider
    > telling your IT-department that builing IE-only website is building the
    > legacy application of the future. The next version of IE (8) will
    > probably more compliant with the W3C standards, which may also imply
    > that old websites will not work anymore.

    Where I work we work with differnt external partners, so we do not
    always have a choice. One system needs IE6 and is only tested on that.
    Some people have IE7, so some functionality is lost. The reason it won't
    work is because it is heavily Winders directed.

    e.g. what it can do is, like a virus, via a website force things to
    happen on your PC. It can steer other programs on your PC. This is
    intend use and the reason is easier work. Instead of using 7 or 8
    unrelated programs, where you look up and enter information that is
    almost identical in all of them, you only need to do it in one.

    Then another partner tells us to use Firefox. I am looking into why and
    am in the situation now where I am trying to hack the site in such a way
    that it can be used with IE, so people only need to use one program.

    The things we get done from IE are not possible with Firefox in a nice
    and easy way at this moment.

    Wether or not this is a good thing is nice to discuss with a pint of
    beer. The fact is that our department won't get away from it in the very
    near future. At other places they are looking to go all Linux though, as
    their demands are completely different.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  2. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    houghi wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> Besides all the tips on how to solve your problem, you might consider
    >> telling your IT-department that builing IE-only website is building the
    >> legacy application of the future. The next version of IE (8) will
    >> probably more compliant with the W3C standards, which may also imply
    >> that old websites will not work anymore.

    > Where I work we work with differnt external partners, so we do not
    > always have a choice. One system needs IE6 and is only tested on that.
    > Some people have IE7, so some functionality is lost. The reason it won't
    > work is because it is heavily Winders directed.
    >
    > e.g. what it can do is, like a virus, via a website force things to
    > happen on your PC. It can steer other programs on your PC. This is
    > intend use and the reason is easier work. Instead of using 7 or 8
    > unrelated programs, where you look up and enter information that is
    > almost identical in all of them, you only need to do it in one.
    >
    > Then another partner tells us to use Firefox. I am looking into why and
    > am in the situation now where I am trying to hack the site in such a way
    > that it can be used with IE, so people only need to use one program.
    >
    > The things we get done from IE are not possible with Firefox in a nice
    > and easy way at this moment.
    >
    > Wether or not this is a good thing is nice to discuss with a pint of
    > beer. The fact is that our department won't get away from it in the very
    > near future. At other places they are looking to go all Linux though, as
    > their demands are completely different.
    >
    > houghi

    Just to illustrate what can go wrong: Last year MS decided to roll out
    IE7 (without warning). So a lot of our pc-systems were updated, endig up
    with a lot of problems because some of the core web-applications were
    only tested/working with IE6.
    The one and only one solution to fix this is to get rid of the IE
    specific part (yes, I know, it can be hard) so we won't have to face the
    same problem again with IE8. They have to modify it anyhow to get it
    working with IE7, so just put in the extra effort to make it W3C compliant.

    And using the web browser to push software etc. is not really a good
    idea: if you can push software with legitimate goals, you can also do it
    with less official intent.....

    Joost

  3. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > And using the web browser to push software etc. is not really a good
    > idea: if you can push software with legitimate goals, you can also do it
    > with less official intent.....

    Yep, yet that is what we are using. Some things just can't be
    implemented otherwise. Either because it isn't ours to start with or the
    cost would be way to high.

    e.g. for something we need to access software from a vendor. They do not
    give sourcecode and we need to use that to enter the data. So what we do
    is now enter the same data twice. What they do is 'take over' the
    software and enter the data for you.

    Now I am more doing some basic stuff, meaning hacking websites and
    convince our partners to work with us and give us access to the data in
    some other way, like xml so we can both push and pull information.

    One I have already that we do not need to log in anymore and an other I
    have automated the loginprocess to that site over our a site I made.
    Basicaly what I did there was enter all the logins and passwords into
    MySQL, then let php form a URL like
    example.com/login.php?login=some&password=other.

    Then login.php looks like:

    That will send the correct information to te other side and sees that an
    automated login is possible. And yes, it is easier this way, because
    many people need access to many logins.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

+ Reply to Thread