Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse ; Vahis wrote: > Virtual machine gives a disk image to the guest OS who takes it as a disk. > It also provides it with the rest of the virtual hardware. > The guest won't touch the rest of the ...

  1. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Vahis wrote:

    > Virtual machine gives a disk image to the guest OS who takes it as a disk.
    > It also provides it with the rest of the virtual hardware.
    > The guest won't touch the rest of the disk. It does not even know there's
    > life outside this virtual machine.

    For my edification, is it a safe assumption that a restore operation would
    be equally isolated? I have seen both types - the one that only messed
    with the logical partitions as defined, the other that wanted to re-format
    the whole bloody physical disk. The exception to the latter case was that
    every one I tried would leave the hidden partition alone and use that to
    re-install if necessary but I'm a pessimist and really don't want to chance
    losing the other partitions so I'd appreciate input from someone that has
    actually tried the re-install from some of those hard drive
    resident "sources".

    --
    Will Honea

  2. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-06, Will Honea wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> Virtual machine gives a disk image to the guest OS who takes it as a disk.
    >> It also provides it with the rest of the virtual hardware.
    >> The guest won't touch the rest of the disk. It does not even know there's
    >> life outside this virtual machine.

    > For my edification, is it a safe assumption that a restore operation would
    > be equally isolated?

    I've had no issues, ever.
    > I have seen both types - the one that only messed
    > with the logical partitions as defined, the other that wanted to re-format
    > the whole bloody physical disk.

    I don't follow.
    Virtual disk image is not a logical partition.
    > The exception to the latter case was that
    > every one I tried would leave the hidden partition alone and use that to
    > re-install if necessary but I'm a pessimist and really don't want to chance
    > losing the other partitions so I'd appreciate input from someone that has
    > actually tried the re-install from some of those hard drive
    > resident "sources".

    I don't follow. Virtual machines are just files, where ever you put
    them. What hidden partitions?

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  3. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-05-06, Will Honea wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Virtual machine gives a disk image to the guest OS who takes it as a
    >>> disk. It also provides it with the rest of the virtual hardware.
    >>> The guest won't touch the rest of the disk. It does not even know
    >>> there's life outside this virtual machine.

    >> For my edification, is it a safe assumption that a restore operation
    >> would be equally isolated?

    > I've had no issues, ever.
    >> I have seen both types - the one that only messed
    >> with the logical partitions as defined, the other that wanted to
    >> re-format the whole bloody physical disk.

    > I don't follow.
    > Virtual disk image is not a logical partition.
    >> The exception to the latter case was that
    >> every one I tried would leave the hidden partition alone and use that to
    >> re-install if necessary but I'm a pessimist and really don't want to
    >> chance losing the other partitions so I'd appreciate input from someone
    >> that has actually tried the re-install from some of those hard drive
    >> resident "sources".

    > I don't follow. Virtual machines are just files, where ever you put
    > them. What hidden partitions?

    Dang, I must have been really tired when I wrote that! The question I have
    boils down to whether those "recovery" sets try to get down to BIOS level
    disk detection or if they will live with the virtual mapping. Guess I'll
    just have to swap in a spare drive and see what happens.

    --
    Will Honea