Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Internet Explorer emulator? - Suse ; On 2008-05-05, EOS wrote: > Riberto wrote: > >> >> Is there a program or a way to adjust any of these popular web browsers >> to emulate Internet Explorer? > > IE6 on a linux, do in a konsole: ...

  1. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-05, EOS wrote:
    > Riberto wrote:
    >

    >> Is there a program or a way to adjust any of these popular web browsers
    >> to emulate Internet Explorer?

    > IE6 on a linux, do in a konsole:
    > wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz
    > tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
    > cd ies4linux-*
    > ./ies4linux
    >
    > http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

    That was interesting so I did it, but no cigar:

    ies4linux-2.99.0.1> ./ies4linux
    No user interface available. Use command-line ies4linux or install
    pygtk. Details: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/No_GUI

    Then, that link gives:

    "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page
    title in other pages or edit this page."

    I'm still using VMware

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  2. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-05-05, EOS wrote:
    >> Riberto wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is there a program or a way to adjust any of these popular web browsers
    >>> to emulate Internet Explorer?

    >> IE6 on a linux, do in a konsole:
    >> wget
    >> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz tar
    >> zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz cd ies4linux-*
    >> ./ies4linux
    >>
    >> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

    > That was interesting so I did it, but no cigar:
    >
    > ies4linux-2.99.0.1> ./ies4linux
    > No user interface available. Use command-line ies4linux or install
    > pygtk. Details: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/No_GUI
    >
    > Then, that link gives:
    >
    > "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page
    > title in other pages or edit this page."
    >
    > I'm still using VMware
    >
    > Vahis

    Install python-gtk (same as pygtk but SUSE names it differently)...

  3. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-06, Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-05-05, EOS wrote:
    >> Riberto wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is there a program or a way to adjust any of these popular web browsers
    >>> to emulate Internet Explorer?

    >> IE6 on a linux, do in a konsole:
    >> wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz
    >> tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
    >> cd ies4linux-*
    >> ./ies4linux
    >>
    >> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

    > That was interesting so I did it, but no cigar:
    >
    > ies4linux-2.99.0.1> ./ies4linux
    > No user interface available. Use command-line ies4linux or install
    > pygtk. Details: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/No_GUI
    >
    > Then, that link gives:
    >
    > "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page
    > title in other pages or edit this page."
    >
    > I'm still using VMware
    >
    > Vahis

    I went on and installed python-qt

    That did it

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  4. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-06, Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-05-06, Vahis wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-05, EOS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> IE6 on a linux, do in a konsole:
    >>> wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz
    >>> tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
    >>> cd ies4linux-*
    >>> ./ies4linux
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

    >> That was interesting so I did it, but no cigar:
    >>
    >> ies4linux-2.99.0.1> ./ies4linux
    >> No user interface available. Use command-line ies4linux or install
    >> pygtk. Details: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/No_GUI
    >>
    >> Then, that link gives:
    >>
    >> "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page
    >> title in other pages or edit this page."
    >>
    >> I'm still using VMware
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > I went on and installed python-qt
    >
    > That did it
    >
    > Vahis

    It sorta works.
    But: Wineserver eats over 40% and explorer eats 40% of CPU so altogether
    over 80%. And it seems to stay up there all the time (idle).

    VMware eats like 30% of CPU. It goes up when doing something, but rarely
    over 80%.

    And where VM's Win2K IE6, Win98SE IE6 and WinXP IE7 work just fine this emulated
    bitch does not show multimedia or slideshows in my test gallery:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/motorsports/

    Obviously that can be fixed by installing some more pieces of puzzle.

    Maybe I'll start playing the other way around, how about installing
    Konqueror in Windows?

    I hear it can be done with Cygwin

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  5. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Vahis wrote:
    > It sorta works.
    > But: Wineserver eats over 40% and explorer eats 40% of CPU so altogether
    > over 80%. And it seems to stay up there all the time (idle).
    >
    > VMware eats like 30% of CPU. It goes up when doing something, but rarely
    > over 80%.

    Run then together and your system works at 110%

    > Maybe I'll start playing the other way around, how about installing
    > Konqueror in Windows?

    Just rewrite the code.

    > I hear it can be done with Cygwin

    What about running a Mac in virtual memory 9in which you can run
    Parallels in which you can run Linux in which ...

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  6. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-06, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> It sorta works.
    >> But: Wineserver eats over 40% and explorer eats 40% of CPU so altogether
    >> over 80%. And it seems to stay up there all the time (idle).
    >>
    >> VMware eats like 30% of CPU. It goes up when doing something, but rarely
    >> over 80%.

    > Run then together and your system works at 110%

    Thanks, that was a good one

    >> Maybe I'll start playing the other way around, how about installing
    >> Konqueror in Windows?

    > Just rewrite the code.
    >
    >> I hear it can be done with Cygwin

    > What about running a Mac in virtual memory 9in which you can run
    > Parallels in which you can run Linux in which ...
    >
    > houghi

    Maybe I'll try such "nested virtualization" one day

    I'd like to have a virtual Mac in VMware.
    I tried it once but couldn't make it work then.

    It was an image available somewhere.

    Here's Konqueror for windows:
    http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  7. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Vahis wrote:
    > Maybe I'll try such "nested virtualization" one day

    I have had Linux with Parallels running Windows with Parallels runing
    Linux. I was too lazy to go on.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  8. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-06, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> Maybe I'll try such "nested virtualization" one day

    > I have had Linux with Parallels running Windows with Parallels runing
    > Linux. I was too lazy to go on.
    >
    > houghi

    Have you any experience of Mac in a VM?

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  9. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    Vahis wrote:
    > Have you any experience of Mac in a VM?

    I have experienced a real live Mac once. I sometimes still cry in my
    sleep over it.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  10. Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

    On 2008-05-06, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> Have you any experience of Mac in a VM?

    > I have experienced a real live Mac once. I sometimes still cry in my
    > sleep over it.
    >
    > houghi

    I spent quite some years in the printing industry (prepress area) in the
    past with Macs.
    That era meaning the time of PostScript being invented and
    implemented.

    The Mac was _the_ de facto standard. That's where _all_ publishing
    software originated.

    The only application where it did not konquer that world was PostScript
    ripping. All rips were either Unix or PC based.
    (Before that they all were Proprietary HW and SW, the old "Dinosaurs")

    Professional software were like PhotoShop, PageMaker, FreeHand,
    QuarkXpress etc, all only available for Macs.

    Later publishing software became available for the PC.
    The customers had wins to start with in their offices.
    As "DTP" or Desk Top Publishing started to spread the files made in win environments
    forced the prepress shops to get PC workstations, too.

    Before that time, all publishing software was developed in "Mac world".
    That's quite amazing, since maybe one of a million micro computers were
    Macs.

    Unix was there traditionally in different versions in heavy servers (like Sun
    Microsystems hardware and Solaris and also some SiliconGraphics).

    MacIntosh had a WorkGroup Server that looked and felt like a Mac but
    was running their own version of AIX.

    I knew of some software in Linux, mainly work flow and impositioning
    software.

    I liked the Macs a lot but they were far too expensive for a home user.
    I still do and often miss one...

    Summa summarum: Grab always the best tool for the job, never mind what
    they call it

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread