Could not find mime type application/octet-stream - Suse

This is a discussion on Could not find mime type application/octet-stream - Suse ; openSUSE 10.3: In Konqueror I added *.dv and *.DV file associations to start up xine to play these files. Now when I start up KDE, I get "Could not find mime type application/octet-stream". I deleted the file association, but still ...

  1. Could not find mime type application/octet-stream

    openSUSE 10.3: In Konqueror I added *.dv and *.DV file associations to
    start up xine to play these files. Now when I start up KDE, I get "Could
    not find mime type application/octet-stream". I deleted the file
    association, but still get this message. When KDE starts (eventually), I
    get two message windows, and closing one of them gives me one more. When
    I close them, KDE finishes loading. Then, when the mouse pointer is
    rolled over certain files, it sometimes gives that error message again.
    It still seems to work alright, plays a DV file if I right click it and
    select "start with xine". MPEG files still play, too. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Could not find mime type application/octet-stream

    Algazm wrote:
    > openSUSE 10.3: In Konqueror I added *.dv and *.DV file associations to
    > start up xine to play these files. Now when I start up KDE, I get "Could
    > not find mime type application/octet-stream". I deleted the file
    > association, but still get this message. When KDE starts (eventually), I
    > get two message windows, and closing one of them gives me one more. When
    > I close them, KDE finishes loading. Then, when the mouse pointer is
    > rolled over certain files, it sometimes gives that error message again.
    > It still seems to work alright, plays a DV file if I right click it and
    > select "start with xine". MPEG files still play, too. Any ideas?

    I tried WindowMaker, and I get the same error message when I run Kate.
    Maybe that's a clue, but I'm still lost here....

  3. Re: Could not find mime type application/octet-stream

    Algazm wrote:
    > openSUSE 10.3: In Konqueror I added *.dv and *.DV file associations to
    > start up xine to play these files. Now when I start up KDE, I get "Could
    > not find mime type application/octet-stream". I deleted the file
    > association, but still get this message. When KDE starts (eventually), I
    > get two message windows, and closing one of them gives me one more. When
    > I close them, KDE finishes loading. Then, when the mouse pointer is
    > rolled over certain files, it sometimes gives that error message again.
    > It still seems to work alright, plays a DV file if I right click it and
    > select "start with xine". MPEG files still play, too. Any ideas?

    Sounds like it might be the old octet-stream association problem. I
    don't know exactly why it exists or what the deal is, but google
    "octet-stream.desktop" and you should find some solutions. I had similar
    problems before.

  4. Re: Could not find mime type application/octet-stream

    Algazm schreef:

    > openSUSE 10.3: In Konqueror I added *.dv and *.DV file associations to
    > start up xine to play these files. Now when I start up KDE, I get "Could
    > not find mime type application/octet-stream"

    I had this problem in the past, this page solved my problem:
    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=107797994605331&w=2
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  5. Re: Could not find mime type application/octet-stream

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Algazm schreef:
    >
    >> openSUSE 10.3: In Konqueror I added *.dv and *.DV file associations to
    >> start up xine to play these files. Now when I start up KDE, I get "Could
    >> not find mime type application/octet-stream"

    > I had this problem in the past, this page solved my problem:
    > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=107797994605331&w=2

    There was no octet-stream in the applications group to select when I
    clicked the add button, so I added it myself. After adding the file
    extentions, it works fine now. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread