SuSEconfig - Suse

This is a discussion on SuSEconfig - Suse ; There are many ways to install software in opensuse, like yast,rpm or zypper. Only yast runs SuSEconfig after installing software. My question is, is it still necessary to run SuSEconfig after installing software with zypper or rpm? If i would ...

  1. SuSEconfig

    There are many ways to install software in opensuse, like yast,rpm or
    zypper.
    Only yast runs SuSEconfig after installing software.

    My question is, is it still necessary to run SuSEconfig after installing
    software with zypper or rpm?

    If i would install midnight commander via "zypper in mc" mc gets installed
    and runs fine, no need for SuSEconfig to get it running.

    Is SuSEconfig only needed when installing, say a database like MySQL, so
    that it configures the services needed for MySQL?
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  2. Re: SuSEconfig

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > There are many ways to install software in opensuse, like yast,rpm or
    > zypper.
    > Only yast runs SuSEconfig after installing software.
    >
    > My question is, is it still necessary to run SuSEconfig after installing
    > software with zypper or rpm?
    >
    > If i would install midnight commander via "zypper in mc" mc gets installed
    > and runs fine, no need for SuSEconfig to get it running.
    >
    > Is SuSEconfig only needed when installing, say a database like MySQL, so
    > that it configures the services needed for MySQL?

    read `man /etc/sysconfig/` at what it does and then look at some of the
    parameters in the directory mentioned in the man page.

    It is not needed. However it could make things easier for you. Also
    there is nothing for MySQL as far as I can see. So needed might depend
    upon your desires.

    All it does is change some settings for you, but you could easily do
    that by hand.

    houghi
    | Artist : Within Temptation
    | Song : Restless
    | Album : Mother Earth

  3. Re: SuSEconfig

    houghi schreef:

    > read `man /etc/sysconfig/` at what it does and then look at some of the
    > parameters in the directory mentioned in the man page.

    Hmmm.. reading a man page, why didn'y i think of that.

    > It is not needed. However it could make things easier for you. Also
    > there is nothing for MySQL as far as I can see. So needed might depend
    > upon your desires.

    MySQL was just an example, a bad one :-)

    > All it does is change some settings for you, but you could easily do
    > that by hand.

    I read in "man SuSEconfig" an example for postfix that the
    script "activates" the configuration changes made by yast2.
    I'm not sure what that means for installing software.
    Would that mean if would install postfix via zypper without running
    SuSEconfig afterwards postfix would not be configured as it should have?
    I know i can do it by hand, but that's not my point, i don't know if a
    package needs configuration after being installed.

    So i gues it is still safer to run SuSEconfig after installing software.
    I always did that when using zypper, but wondered if it was necessary
    because i don't read anything about it on:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage

    Reading that one would assume that all is well when installing software via
    zypper, but it may not be.
    SuSEconfig is there for a reason, and it shouldn't be ignored.

    So i'll just keep running it :-)

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  4. Re: SuSEconfig

    Chris Maaskant meinte:

    > There are many ways to install software in opensuse, like yast,rpm or
    > zypper. Only yast runs SuSEconfig after installing software.

    > My question is, is it still necessary to run SuSEconfig after installing
    > software with zypper or rpm?

    It's needed as long as you use yast for configuration of an application or
    if you edit some files in the hierarchy "/etc/sysconfig/" manually.

    If you configure completely within the application's conf-files you
    usually needn't call SuSEconfig.

    --
    Gruss,
    Tobias.