Equivalent of apt-get install? - Suse

This is a discussion on Equivalent of apt-get install? - Suse ; I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be best way to install apps from terminal? for example, how would I install msstts fonts? -- Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, ...

  1. Equivalent of apt-get install?

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  2. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    On May 3, 1:41 pm, Holz wrote:
    > I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be
    > best way to install apps from terminal?
    > for example, how would I install msstts fonts?

    The administration program in SuSE is called "yast".
    yast is the console version. It's a two-dimensional curses-type
    text-mode program. (Hopefully you're using a CRT terminal
    and not a teletype. 8^) yast2 is the X GUI version, which is
    easier to use. But the console version seems to do everything
    the X version does, at least in the "Software Management"
    module, which I just tried.

  3. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    Holz wrote:

    > I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be
    > best way to install apps from terminal?
    > for example, how would I install msstts fonts?

    In a default SuSE 10.3 install yast uses a program called zypper as a back
    end. So assuming the repository with msstts fonts is set up you could
    install it directly with zipper from a terminal window by doing:

    zypper install msstts

    kev.

  4. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:41:47 +0000, Holz wrote:

    > I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be
    > best way to install apps from terminal? for example, how would I install
    > msstts fonts?

    Thank you, I will take a shot. So far I like what I see, I just need to
    get more comfortable.

    --
    Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you. ;-)

  5. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    In article <68410aF2q8li0U2@mid.individual.net>,
    Holz wrote:

    > I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know
    > what would be the best way to install apps from terminal?

    Read the zypper and rpm manuals. There's also a frontend
    to those two, called YaST; but if you want to avoid the
    most nasty incidents, I suggest to never use YaST.

    Regards,
    Marcel

  6. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    On 2008-05-04, Marcel Bruinsma wrote:
    > In article <68410aF2q8li0U2@mid.individual.net>,
    > Holz wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know
    >> what would be the best way to install apps from terminal?

    > Read the zypper and rpm manuals. There's also a frontend
    > to those two, called YaST; but if you want to avoid the
    > most nasty incidents, I suggest to never use YaST.

    A person saying that knows neither YaST _nor_ openSUSE.

    I'm doing almost everything with it and I seldom need any other tools for
    setting up anything.

    And I'm sharing this opinion with several regulars
    here, you'll see...

    YaST IMHO is _The_ setup tool. It has been one of my main reasons to use
    Suse in the first place.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  7. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    In article <20080504065501@usenet.waxborg.local>,
    Vahis wrote:

    >> but if you want to avoid the most nasty
    >> incidents, I suggest to never use YaST.

    > A person saying that knows neither YaST _nor_ openSUSE.

    The _last_ time I tried update/install with YaST, I got
    a casual "can't read file..." in a dialogue with only an
    OK button. Assuming YaST would replace/rebuild that file,
    I continued as usual. To my surprise I was met by tons of
    unresolved dependencies; according to YaST even the most
    basic packages were unavailable.

    When 'consulting' zypper without YaST all was quickly
    revealed: in all its wisdom YaST had simply removed
    the repo where the 'problem file' originated from the
    list of 'software sources' (in stead of replacing the
    file). Unfortunately, this was OSS repo!

    Then there was the time I thought it might be a good idea
    to configure/enable the NTP daemon with YaST. Well, it
    wasn't, but the experience definitely taught me to stick
    to the traditional and, more importantly, _trusted_ means
    of system administration.

    Regards,
    Marcel

  8. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    Holz schreef:

    > I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be
    > best way to install apps from terminal?
    > for example, how would I install msstts fonts?

    From the commandline you could use yast2 (ncursus) or zypper.
    As for the ms fonts there is a script available via online update called
    fetchmsttfonts.sh but when selected and installed the script doesn't get
    run so nothing happens.
    So i downloaded it myself from
    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/opensus...e/10.3/scripts and run it
    myself.
    But you'll need to have cabextract installed first.
    Once you have that simply run as root "sh fetchmsttfonts.sh" without the
    quotes.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  9. Mark Stasi Bilk

    Mark S Bilk wrote:

    > On May 3, 1:41 pm, Holz wrote:
    >> I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be
    >> best way to install apps from terminal?
    >> for example, how would I install msstts fonts?

    > The administration program in SuSE is called "yast".
    > yast is the console version. It's a two-dimensional curses-type
    > text-mode program. (Hopefully you're using a CRT terminal
    > and not a teletype. 8^) yast2 is the X GUI version, which is
    > easier to use. But the console version seems to do everything
    > the X version does, at least in the "Software Management"
    > module, which I just tried.

    Oh look! It's the guy who called me a Nazi because I said Germar Rudolf
    shouldn't be in prison.

    --
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1e...of-911-updated
    http://911research.wtc7.net

  10. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    Mark S Bilk wrote:
    > On May 3, 1:41 pm, Holz wrote:
    >> I would like to move to SuSE 10.3, and would like to know what would be
    >> best way to install apps from terminal?
    >> for example, how would I install msstts fonts?

    > The administration program in SuSE is called "yast".
    > yast is the console version. It's a two-dimensional curses-type
    > text-mode program. (Hopefully you're using a CRT terminal
    > and not a teletype. 8^) yast2 is the X GUI version, which is
    > easier to use. But the console version seems to do everything
    > the X version does, at least in the "Software Management"
    > module, which I just tried.

    Almost. It used to be two differnt programs. Now they are the same.

    houghi
    | Artist : Within Temptation
    | Song : Restless
    | Album : Enter

  11. Re: Equivalent of apt-get install?

    Marcel Bruinsma wrote:
    > In article <20080504065501@usenet.waxborg.local>,
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >>> but if you want to avoid the most nasty
    >>> incidents, I suggest to never use YaST.

    >> A person saying that knows neither YaST _nor_ openSUSE.

    > The _last_ time I tried update/install with YaST, I got
    > a casual "can't read file..." in a dialogue with only an
    > OK button. Assuming YaST would replace/rebuild that file,
    > I continued as usual. To my surprise I was met by tons of
    > unresolved dependencies; according to YaST even the most
    > basic packages were unavailable.

    So you get an error, ignore it and are suprised that the error actualy
    ment something. Sure, blame YaST for your ignorance.

    > When 'consulting' zypper without YaST all was quickly
    > revealed: in all its wisdom YaST had simply removed
    > the repo where the 'problem file' originated from the
    > list of 'software sources' (in stead of replacing the
    > file). Unfortunately, this was OSS repo!

    Sure, YaST randomly does things you did not expect it to do. That is
    just how software works, blam YaST for any error.

    > Then there was the time I thought it might be a good idea
    > to configure/enable the NTP daemon with YaST. Well, it
    > wasn't, but the experience definitely taught me to stick
    > to the traditional and, more importantly, _trusted_ means
    > of system administration.

    Sure, YOU did a bobo and YaST must be at fault.

    I can understand if you say "I do not like YaST. I like other means."
    and then give an example. To say a tool has a problem when thousands of
    people use it daily without a problem is a bit silly.

    Amyhow, I asume you actualy did hive those problems and I am wondering
    what the bug report number is.

    houghi
    | Artist : Within Temptation
    | Song : Restless