Wireless card needs YAST start after each reboot - Suse

This is a discussion on Wireless card needs YAST start after each reboot - Suse ; This is a new finding of a problem that I reported in a separate posting ( http://tinyurl.com/6hvevd ). Main problem: 0) After each start or reboot, my wireless card (D-Link, Airplus DWL- G520, rev.B) doesn't connect to the network When ...

  1. Wireless card needs YAST start after each reboot

    This is a new finding of a problem that I reported in a separate
    posting (http://tinyurl.com/6hvevd).

    Main problem:
    0) After each start or reboot, my wireless card (D-Link, Airplus DWL-
    G520, rev.B) doesn't connect to the network

    When the problem started:
    1) April 12, 2008, after an automated upgrade (forgot the upgrade) was
    installed

    Workaround solution:
    1) After each reboot, if the wireless card is configured and setup
    from (YAST->Network Devices->Network Cards), it connects to the
    network (This MUST be done after each start or reboot).

    System information:
    1) OpenSuSE 10.3 (Linux kernel: 2.6.22.17-0.1)
    2) Wireless driver: madwifi-0.9.3.3-0.1.i586 (this is the latest from
    Madwifi)

    Steps to reproduce of the problem and its temporary solution:
    1) Restart the Linux PC
    2) Start Google or Ping to a node in the network, it doesn't connect
    3) Open "YAST->Network Devices->Network Cards" under "Overview" tab
    and select the card (D-Link Airplus....)
    4) Click in the "Configure" button below to open the configuration
    window for that card
    5) Under address tab, the radio button "Dynamic Address" is selected,
    change it to "Statically assigned IP address" and then back to
    "Dynamic Address" button. (This step is ONLY necessary to have a
    change before saving the configuration)
    6) Click on the "Next" and proceed to "Finish" and save the
    configuration

    After saving the above YAST configuration, the network connection
    establishes and works fine. But after reboot or restart, the problem
    reappears.

    Please help me to find a solution for this.

    Note that, I have done many trials to find the solution but there was
    no luck yet:
    1) Deleted and reinstalled the Madwifi driver
    2) Assigned the card interface with a "Static IP address"

  2. Re: Wireless card needs YAST start after each reboot

    wrote in message
    > This is a new finding of a problem that I reported in a separate
    > posting (http://tinyurl.com/6hvevd).
    >
    > Main problem:
    > 0) After each start or reboot, my wireless card (D-Link, Airplus DWL-
    > G520, rev.B) doesn't connect to the network
    >
    > When the problem started:
    > 1) April 12, 2008, after an automated upgrade (forgot the upgrade) was
    > installed
    >
    > Workaround solution:
    > 1) After each reboot, if the wireless card is configured and setup
    > from (YAST->Network Devices->Network Cards), it connects to the
    > network (This MUST be done after each start or reboot).
    >
    > System information:
    > 1) OpenSuSE 10.3 (Linux kernel: 2.6.22.17-0.1)
    > 2) Wireless driver: madwifi-0.9.3.3-0.1.i586 (this is the latest from
    > Madwifi)
    >
    > Steps to reproduce of the problem and its temporary solution:
    > 1) Restart the Linux PC
    > 2) Start Google or Ping to a node in the network, it doesn't connect
    > 3) Open "YAST->Network Devices->Network Cards" under "Overview" tab
    > and select the card (D-Link Airplus....)
    > 4) Click in the "Configure" button below to open the configuration
    > window for that card
    > 5) Under address tab, the radio button "Dynamic Address" is selected,
    > change it to "Statically assigned IP address" and then back to
    > "Dynamic Address" button. (This step is ONLY necessary to have a
    > change before saving the configuration)
    > 6) Click on the "Next" and proceed to "Finish" and save the
    > configuration
    >
    > After saving the above YAST configuration, the network connection
    > establishes and works fine. But after reboot or restart, the problem
    > reappears.
    >
    > Please help me to find a solution for this.
    >
    > Note that, I have done many trials to find the solution but there was
    > no luck yet:
    > 1) Deleted and reinstalled the Madwifi driver
    > 2) Assigned the card interface with a "Static IP address"

    Had the same problem with Suse 10.3 and a D-link PCI card. Downloaded the
    latest madwifi (like 2 days ago). Built from source and problem solved. All
    I had to do was:

    Install the source code
    make
    make install