Installing 10.3 with Vista - Suse

This is a discussion on Installing 10.3 with Vista - Suse ; I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3 drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:. How should I go ...

  1. Installing 10.3 with Vista

    I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.

    How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 20:46:20 -0500 Paul Thompson
    wrote:

    > How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?

    IIRC I just started up the DVD and accepted the partitioning options
    Suse gave me.

  3. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    > drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    > OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >
    > How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    if you come on this screen
    http://news.softpedia.com/images/rev...-large_014.png
    choose "expert mode"
    then "partitiong" choose there make own partitiong.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    In <20080503132814.098d175d@linux-k6os.site> Polly the Parrot:

    [Snip...]

    > IIRC I just started up the DVD and accepted the partitioning options
    > Suse gave me.

    It's worked very well for me with earlier SuSE versions (viz., 10.0).

    Caveat: I haven't even seen Vista running, much less used it. But I have
    dualbooted other M$ versions.

    Tip: defragging the Doze install *BEFORE* installing some dualboot Linux
    always seems to help. In some of low my low(er) RAM installs, defragging
    Doze first was the only way to do a dualboot Linux install at all.

    HTH; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  5. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Blattus Slafaly ? (3) wrote:
    > Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would delete
    > d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that is just me.

    The last time I did this I selected 'use the whole HD' and never even
    booted into Windows (no, not even the first time). Unfortunatly no
    refund.

    houghi
    | Artist : Deep Purple
    | Song : Strange Kind of Woman
    | Album : Made in Japan

  6. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Paul Thompson wrote:
    > I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    > drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    > OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >
    > How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would delete
    d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that is just me.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  7. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ " wrote:
    >Paul Thompson wrote:
    >> I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    >> drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    >> OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >>
    >> How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    >Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would delete
    >d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that is just me.

    WHOA!

    The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup
    Thompson has. There may be no separate DVD.

    Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    but hey...

    And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.

    The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account.
    I'd use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  8. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ " wrote:
    >>Paul Thompson wrote:
    >>> I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    >>> drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    >>> OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >>>
    >>> How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Paul

    >>Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would delete
    >>d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that is just me.

    > WHOA!
    >
    > The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup
    > Thompson has. There may be no separate DVD.
    >
    > Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    > but hey...
    >
    > And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.
    >
    > The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account.
    > I'd use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.

    You are right about the recovery partition although the first step of every
    new computer after plugging it in should be to use the installed back up
    program to make a copy of the recovery partition.

    Also by deleting the Data partition, an unexperienced user will be breaking
    their Vista installation because Vista programs insist on splitting the
    data from the programs. That way if one has to recover the OS, the data is
    safe and secure, unlike past recovery systems when it was an all or nothing
    proposition and the recovery process would reformat the entire C drive and
    re-install the software just like the day you bought the computer.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  9. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ " wrote:
    >> Paul Thompson wrote:
    >>> I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    >>> drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    >>> OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >>>
    >>> How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Paul

    >> Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would delete
    >> d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that is just me.

    > WHOA!
    >
    > The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup
    > Thompson has. There may be no separate DVD.
    >
    > Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    > but hey...
    >
    > And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.
    >
    > The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account.
    > I'd use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.

    I'm glad I waited to hear from you folks! I was about to reformat D:
    (Data, sdb) and use it but I want to maintain Vista for such things as
    games, web sites needing Windows Media, etc. E: is in sda and is for
    recovery.

    First YaST wanted to take a large part of C: (OS, sda) and that might of
    crippled Vista. I could then select sdb but that would lose Vista's data
    directory.

    What I'd like to do is take most of D: for Linux and leave enough to
    keep Vista happy. What is the procedure for doing that?

    Thanks
    Paul

  10. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    wrote:

    >I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    >drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    >OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >
    >How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Paul

    I partitioned up my system with a 30MB partition for XOSL boot loader,
    and then the partitions for OSes. I then installed Linux and made sure
    to have the grub boot loader from that installation NOT place itself on
    the MBR, but instead in the root of the installed partition.

    Then installed Vista.

    XOSL (eXtended Operationg System Loader) menus allow pointing to that or
    any other drive on your system. I only wish it were still a maintained
    project.

    It does, however, now seem that there is an XOSL2 continuation.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xosl2/

  11. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:01:45 -0400, Darrell Stec
    wrote:

    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>>Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would delete
    >>>d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that is just me.

    >> WHOA!
    >>
    >> The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup
    >> Thompson has. There may be no separate DVD.
    >>
    >> Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    >> but hey...
    >>
    >> And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.
    >>
    >> The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account.
    >> I'd use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.
    >>

    >You are right about the recovery partition although the first step of every
    >new computer after plugging it in should be to use the installed back up
    >program to make a copy of the recovery partition.
    >
    >Also by deleting the Data partition, an unexperienced user will be breaking
    >their Vista installation because Vista programs insist on splitting the
    >data from the programs. That way if one has to recover the OS, the data is
    >safe and secure, unlike past recovery systems when it was an all or nothing
    >proposition and the recovery process would reformat the entire C drive and
    >re-install the software just like the day you bought the computer.

    That is total bull****.

    There is NO dual partition requirement for Vista, you stupid twit.

  12. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    MassiveProng@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:01:45 -0400, Darrell Stec
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>> WHOA!
    >>>
    >>> The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup
    >>> Thompson has. There may be no separate DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    >>> but hey...
    >>>
    >>> And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.
    >>>
    >>> The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account.
    >>> I'd use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.
    >>>

    >>You are right about the recovery partition although the first step of
    >>every new computer after plugging it in should be to use the installed
    >>back up program to make a copy of the recovery partition.
    >>
    >>Also by deleting the Data partition, an unexperienced user will be
    >>breaking their Vista installation because Vista programs insist on
    >>splitting the
    >>data from the programs. That way if one has to recover the OS, the data
    >>is safe and secure, unlike past recovery systems when it was an all or
    >>nothing proposition and the recovery process would reformat the entire C
    >>drive and re-install the software just like the day you bought the
    >>computer.

    > That is total bull****.
    >
    > There is NO dual partition requirement for Vista, you stupid twit.

    Oh god, the 14 year old as nymshifted again. And yes, Vista does divide the
    OS and program files from the data files, and adds a third partion on many
    computers. Try Acer, eMachine, Gateway, Compaq and HP and using your
    advice you will screw things up. Don't bother replying as I'll plonk you
    again.

    during school days.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  13. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:09:15 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:

    > Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>> Let OpenSUSE decide and resize the partitions it wants. I would
    >>> delete d: and e: and let OpenSUSE use the unformatted space. But that
    >>> is just me.

    >> WHOA!
    >>
    >> The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup Thompson
    >> has. There may be no separate DVD.
    >>
    >> Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    >> but hey...
    >>
    >> And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.
    >>
    >> The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account. I'd
    >> use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.
    >>

    > I'm glad I waited to hear from you folks! I was about to reformat D:
    > (Data, sdb) and use it but I want to maintain Vista for such things as
    > games, web sites needing Windows Media, etc. E: is in sda and is for
    > recovery.
    >
    > First YaST wanted to take a large part of C: (OS, sda) and that might of
    > crippled Vista. I could then select sdb but that would lose Vista's data
    > directory.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is take most of D: for Linux and leave enough to
    > keep Vista happy. What is the procedure for doing that?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    I had a similar decision to make recently, though with a desktop. Vista
    has a built-in re-partitioning tool that is perfectly usable. I
    defragged the drive containing Windows, re-sized it, and then created
    another partition. Can't remember now whether I made it an extended
    partition under Windows with some logical partitions (swap, root, home)
    or did that later when installing SUSE.

  14. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Chris Ward wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:09:15 -0500, Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>> WHOA!
    >>>
    >>> The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup Thompson
    >>> has. There may be no separate DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I think that is stupid on the part of the notebook manufacturers,
    >>> but hey...
    >>>
    >>> And I'd not blow D: away either until I knew what was on it.
    >>>
    >>> The openSUSE recommendation probably takes all this into account. I'd
    >>> use that, at least until I knew more about D: and E:.
    >>>

    >> I'm glad I waited to hear from you folks! I was about to reformat D:
    >> (Data, sdb) and use it but I want to maintain Vista for such things as
    >> games, web sites needing Windows Media, etc. E: is in sda and is for
    >> recovery.
    >>
    >> First YaST wanted to take a large part of C: (OS, sda) and that might of
    >> crippled Vista. I could then select sdb but that would lose Vista's data
    >> directory.
    >>
    >> What I'd like to do is take most of D: for Linux and leave enough to
    >> keep Vista happy. What is the procedure for doing that?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    > I had a similar decision to make recently, though with a desktop. Vista
    > has a built-in re-partitioning tool that is perfectly usable. I
    > defragged the drive containing Windows, re-sized it, and then created
    > another partition. Can't remember now whether I made it an extended
    > partition under Windows with some logical partitions (swap, root, home)
    > or did that later when installing SUSE.

    The only problem with using ANY re-partitioning tool is that about the best
    you can do is shrink the Vista partition (same holds true for XP and W2K as
    well on NTFS) by about 50% and that's only if you make sure you defrag the
    Win partition, then set the page file size to zero and reboot before you
    resize it. Don't forget to re-enable the pagefile when done .

    There are also additional recovery tools on most vendor sites. Lenovo has
    some very good ones for Vista as well as older versions of Win.

    Once you get the Win partition cleaned up, the Vista re-size works well
    although like I said you can only shrink the blasted Win partition by
    roughly 50% which sucks big time on a 250GB drive!

    --
    Will Honea

  15. Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista

    Paul Thompson wrote:
    > I just got a Vista notebook with 2 120G SATA drives. Vista reports 3
    > drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. I'd like to install
    > OpenSuSE 10.3 on 60G of drive D:.
    >
    > How should I go about setting up the partitions during installation?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Thanks for all the good advice. Here's what I ended up doing. I moved
    the drive D: folders to C:, and then used Vista administrative tools to
    delete drive D:. I was then able to reformat D: as ext3 and install
    SuSE. So far both systems seem to be working OK.

    I had to load the latest ALSA driver, and in addition I'm manually
    running modprobe each time the system starts in order to get sound to
    work. Yast-Hardware-Sound fails to configure sound, but alsaconf can,
    temporarily. I had this same problem with another notebook that worked
    with 10.2 but not 10.3.

    Also Grub's menu.lst had an error - (hd1,0) instead of (hd0,0) for
    Vista. I had seen this bug before and manually fixed it.

    Finally I want to see if I can get the built in SM56 modem to work.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread