Rsync -e "ssh -l lothar" ... problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Rsync -e "ssh -l lothar" ... problem - Suse ; Hi, I have tried to setup a backup mechanism using rsync with ssh as the shell. After transfering the files I have slitly different sizes that du -h reports. What could I do to ensure a 100% copy of my ...

  1. Rsync -e "ssh -l lothar" ... problem

    Hi,

    I have tried to setup a backup mechanism using rsync with ssh as the
    shell.

    After transfering the files I have slitly different sizes that du -h
    reports.

    What could I do to ensure a 100% copy of my directory tree ?

    The directory tree is a cvsroot directory and the size on the server
    is 101M and
    on the backup machine it is about 96M.

    Server: Suse Linux 9.1
    Backup: Mac OS X 10.3.9

    rsync reports this at the end of an initial sync:

    wrote 49736 bytes read 21724244 bytes 54366.99 bytes/sec
    total size is 95328621 speedup is 4.38

    The du -h command and du -H command on Linux reports different sizes.
    What is the difference ?

    Thanks,

    Lothar

  2. Re: Rsync -e "ssh -l lothar" ... problem

    Lothar Behrens wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have tried to setup a backup mechanism using rsync with ssh as the
    > shell.
    >
    > After transfering the files I have slitly different sizes that du -h
    > reports.
    >
    > What could I do to ensure a 100% copy of my directory tree ?

    What makes you think that did not happen? Make an MD5SUM and see if
    those are correct to be sure.
    You could also use dirdiff to see where the difference comes from.

    > The directory tree is a cvsroot directory and the size on the server
    > is 101M and
    > on the backup machine it is about 96M.
    >
    > Server: Suse Linux 9.1
    > Backup: Mac OS X 10.3.9

    Size difference can be cause by the file systems used or a lot of other
    reasons.

    > rsync reports this at the end of an initial sync:
    >
    > wrote 49736 bytes read 21724244 bytes 54366.99 bytes/sec
    > total size is 95328621 speedup is 4.38

    Uh, yes. Where is the problem?

    > The du -h command and du -H command on Linux reports different sizes.
    > What is the difference ?

    `man du`
    -H like --si, but also evokes a warning; will soon change
    to be equivalent to --dereference-args (-D)
    -h, --human-readable
    print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G)
    --si like -h, but use powers of 1000 not 1024

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

+ Reply to Thread