DVD CD check - Suse

This is a discussion on DVD CD check - Suse ; People used to Redhat option on the menu after booting to verify the media DVD or CD prior to installation, search for such option on SUSE; I did, and searching for "suse cdcheck", "suse boot options", "suse media check", did ...

  1. DVD CD check

    People used to Redhat option on the menu after booting to verify the
    media DVD or CD prior to installation, search for such option on SUSE;
    I did, and searching for "suse cdcheck", "suse boot options", "suse
    media check", did not found nothing usefull.

    The solution is just after booting the DVD/CD with SUSE, abort the GUI
    setup, and it will show up a text menu where such check option exists.

  2. Re: DVD CD check

    fometeo@gmail.com wrote:
    > People used to Redhat option on the menu after booting to verify the
    > media DVD or CD prior to installation, search for such option on SUSE;
    > I did, and searching for "suse cdcheck", "suse boot options", "suse
    > media check", did not found nothing usefull.

    Just because you did not find anything does not mean it isn't there. It
    is like the ping command. Not getting a response from a ping command
    does not mean anything in itself. Only when you DO get a response does
    it mean anything.

    It could give an indication if other things are known for sure, which
    means you know where to look.

    > The solution is just after booting the DVD/CD with SUSE, abort the GUI
    > setup, and it will show up a text menu where such check option exists.

    No, the solution is to start the instalation as normal. There are two
    layers of checks. The first is the ceck of the ISO, which never can be
    done during a boot. This is done by checking the ISO with MD5SUM. It
    will indicate if things are wrong, althought not 100%, it is close
    enough.

    The second part is the data in the ISO and/or on the CD. This is an
    MD5SUM check of the content. These two are NOT the same and con not be
    the same as the SUM is stored on the ISO as well. Several bits are
    reserved specialy for this purpose. I'm too lazy to look it up, but if
    you download makeSUSEdvd, you can find it in there.

    Also if you read up on YaST, you will se how it is possible to place the
    check, force the check or bypassthe check during instalation.

    So although you are technicaly right in that it is possible to do the
    check in CLI, you are wrong is the asumtion that it is ONLY possible in
    CLI.

    The CLI and GUI are basicaly the same, exept for the way how it is
    presented on the screen.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  3. Re: DVD CD check

    On 2008-04-29, fometeo@gmail.com wrote:

    > People used to Redhat option on the menu after booting to verify the
    > media DVD or CD prior to installation, search for such option on SUSE;
    > I did, and searching for "suse cdcheck", "suse boot options", "suse
    > media check", did not found nothing usefull.
    >
    > The solution is just after booting the DVD/CD with SUSE, abort the GUI
    > setup, and it will show up a text menu where such check option exists.

    Might depend on your version.
    I recently installed 10.3 and was presented with exactly such an option.

    Douglas Adams

  4. Re: DVD CD check

    On 2008-04-29, fometeo@gmail.com wrote:
    > People used to Redhat option on the menu after booting to verify the
    > media DVD or CD prior to installation, search for such option on SUSE;
    > I did, and searching for "suse cdcheck", "suse boot options", "suse
    > media check", did not found nothing usefull.
    >
    > The solution is just after booting the DVD/CD with SUSE, abort the GUI
    > setup, and it will show up a text menu where such check option exists.

    look harder.