Shutdown/shutoff - Suse

This is a discussion on Shutdown/shutoff - Suse ; I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers and laptop shutdown and shut off ok. What file or script is responsible for ...

  1. Shutdown/shutoff

    I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown
    with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers and
    laptop shutdown and shut off ok.
    What file or script is responsible for shutting off the pc? Maybe I can
    modify it or something.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  2. Re: Shutdown/shutoff

    "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ " wrote:

    > I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown
    > with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers and
    > laptop shutdown and shut off ok.
    > What file or script is responsible for shutting off the pc? Maybe I can
    > modify it or something.

    Take a look in /etc/rc.d/halt
    Taco

  3. Re: Shutdown/shutoff

    taco wrote:
    > "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ " wrote:
    >
    >> I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown
    >> with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers and
    >> laptop shutdown and shut off ok.
    >> What file or script is responsible for shutting off the pc? Maybe I can
    >> modify it or something.
    >>

    > Take a look in /etc/rc.d/halt
    > Taco

    So I might add: test -n "$HALT_POWERDOWN_INSERT" && $HALT_POWERDOWN_INSERT

    # Set system console back to intial value
    test -n "$REDIRECT" -a -n "$CONSOLE" && setconsole $REDIRECT < $CONSOLE

    # Now talk to kernel
    exec $command -d -f -n $opts

    or something to halt.local then?

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ف ٣

  4. Re: Shutdown/shutoff

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Blattus Slafaly ? (3) wrote:-

    >I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown
    >with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers
    >and laptop shutdown and shut off ok.
    >What file or script is responsible for shutting off the pc? Maybe I can
    >modify it or something.

    Depending on the age of the BIOS, or whether it actually reports a date
    when queried, it could be that the kernel is disabling the ACPI
    functions. You can check this by passing the kernel parameter
    "acpi=force" when booting and then seeing if the system will shut down
    completely when asked to do so. If this works, either edit the
    /boot/grub/menu.lst with your favourite editor and add the "acpi=force"
    option to the kernel options , or use YaST to do the same.

    To do it with YaST (GUI), select System -> Boot Loader, then highlight
    the section that boots Linux[0] and click on the "Edit" button. Then add
    the "acpi=force" on the "Optional Kernel Command line Parameters" line
    and then click "Okay". Finally, clicking on the "Finish" button will
    result in YaST reinstalling the boot loader, complete with the new
    kernel option.

    To use the console version of YaST, virtually the same applies, although
    instead of clicking "Edit" you can use ALT-I. Then use ALT-P to
    highlight the "Optional Kernel Command line Parameters" line where you
    can add the "acpi=force" option. Pressing ALT-O will accept the change,
    and ALT-F will close the "Boot Loader Settings" installing the boot
    loader and adding the new kernel option.

    [0] The section you want is probably labelled something like openSUSE
    10.3 or maybe openSUSE 10.2, depending on which one you're using.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  5. Re: Shutdown/shutoff

    "Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ " wrote:

    > I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown
    > with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers and
    > laptop shutdown and shut off ok.
    > What file or script is responsible for shutting off the pc? Maybe I can
    > modify it or something.

    I could be dead wrong but on the laptop I'm using I got it installed and
    setup with acpi=off just to be on the save side (laptops can have trouble
    with power management) and while it was configured off when I'd shutdown it
    would just get to the SYSTEM HALTED message; at which point I'd have to hit
    the power button to get it turned off.

    Once I got the system up and running I changed the boot parameter (as David
    suggested in his post) to acpi=yes. After that the system shutdown (and
    went to sleep, and all the other things power-management wise that it
    should do) properly.

    kev.

  6. Re: Shutdown/shutoff

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Blattus Slafaly ? (3) wrote:-
    >
    >> I have one computer out of dozens which does not shut off on shutdown
    >> with openSUSE. It does shut off with WIndows 2K. All other computers
    >> and laptop shutdown and shut off ok.
    >> What file or script is responsible for shutting off the pc? Maybe I can
    >> modify it or something.

    > Depending on the age of the BIOS, or whether it actually reports a date
    > when queried, it could be that the kernel is disabling the ACPI
    > functions. You can check this by passing the kernel parameter
    > "acpi=force" when booting and then seeing if the system will shut down
    > completely when asked to do so. If this works, either edit the
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst with your favourite editor and add the "acpi=force"
    > option to the kernel options , or use YaST to do the same.
    >
    > To do it with YaST (GUI), select System -> Boot Loader, then highlight
    > the section that boots Linux[0] and click on the "Edit" button. Then add
    > the "acpi=force" on the "Optional Kernel Command line Parameters" line
    > and then click "Okay". Finally, clicking on the "Finish" button will
    > result in YaST reinstalling the boot loader, complete with the new
    > kernel option.
    >
    > To use the console version of YaST, virtually the same applies, although
    > instead of clicking "Edit" you can use ALT-I. Then use ALT-P to
    > highlight the "Optional Kernel Command line Parameters" line where you
    > can add the "acpi=force" option. Pressing ALT-O will accept the change,
    > and ALT-F will close the "Boot Loader Settings" installing the boot
    > loader and adding the new kernel option.
    >

    > [0] The section you want is probably labelled something like openSUSE
    > 10.3 or maybe openSUSE 10.2, depending on which one you're using.
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Yes, this worked for me. Thank you. There are many ata errors on boot
    up with this but it gets by them.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

+ Reply to Thread