    Thanks,

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    On 2008-04-24, Godzilla wrote:
    > I must have switched from user to Root last week while in Konsole.
    > Now, every time that I enter the regular Konsole (not the Terminal Program
    > -Super User Mode) it asks for my password and logs me in as Root.
    > How can I convince Konsole to let me log in as user again?
    > I am using openSUSE 10.3
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    like to launch konsole, or once kosole is opened, the terminal type is
    the super user mode and needs roots credentials?

    if its an ownership issue of something in $HOME/.kde then `chown -R
    $USER $HOME/.kde*` that directory.

    if its a setting inside of konsole then "Session" from the top "New
    Linux Console" and in this new window/tab click on "Settings" at the
    top, and "Save as Default"

    that should do the trick.

    vb

  3. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    Vincent Batts wrote:

    > On 2008-04-24, Godzilla wrote:
    >> I must have switched from user to Root last week while in Konsole.
    >> Now, every time that I enter the regular Konsole (not the Terminal
    >> Program -Super User Mode) it asks for my password and logs me in as Root.
    >> How can I convince Konsole to let me log in as user again?
    >> I am using openSUSE 10.3
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > like to launch konsole, or once kosole is opened, the terminal type is
    > the super user mode and needs roots credentials?
    >
    > if its an ownership issue of something in $HOME/.kde then `chown -R
    > $USER $HOME/.kde*` that directory.
    >
    > if its a setting inside of konsole then "Session" from the top "New
    > Linux Console" and in this new window/tab click on "Settings" at the
    > top, and "Save as Default"
    >
    > that should do the trick.
    >
    > vb

    Thanks for the input, but neither approach worked. The ownership of Konsole
    was already set to this user, rather than Root. "Save as Default" ignored
    the command and entering Konsole the next time again brought up the Root
    prompt. But, I shall keep scratching my head for something that I have
    overlooked.

    Godzilla

  4. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    On 2008-04-24, Godzilla wrote:
    > Vincent Batts wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-24, Godzilla wrote:
    >>> I must have switched from user to Root last week while in Konsole.
    >>> Now, every time that I enter the regular Konsole (not the Terminal
    >>> Program -Super User Mode) it asks for my password and logs me in as Root.
    >>> How can I convince Konsole to let me log in as user again?
    >>> I am using openSUSE 10.3
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Godzilla

    >> like to launch konsole, or once kosole is opened, the terminal type is
    >> the super user mode and needs roots credentials?
    >>
    >> if its an ownership issue of something in $HOME/.kde then `chown -R
    >> $USER $HOME/.kde*` that directory.
    >>
    >> if its a setting inside of konsole then "Session" from the top "New
    >> Linux Console" and in this new window/tab click on "Settings" at the
    >> top, and "Save as Default"
    >>
    >> that should do the trick.
    >>
    >> vb

    > Thanks for the input, but neither approach worked. The ownership of Konsole
    > was already set to this user, rather than Root. "Save as Default" ignored
    > the command and entering Konsole the next time again brought up the Root
    > prompt. But, I shall keep scratching my head for something that I have
    > overlooked.
    >
    > Godzilla

    okay, try, "Settings" -> "Configure Konsole.." -> the "Session" tab
    and assuming that the Highlighted 'Session' in the lower right hand box,
    is _Your_ default, which is _the_ "Linux Console", make sure it is
    highlighted, and the field at the top "Execute:", ensure that it is
    'bash' or the like, not something like 'su -',
    then click the "Save Session" button and the "OK" to exit the
    configuration.
    and just to confirm this, you can then open a new tab/session from the
    menu, specifically choosing the "Linux Console" session. once it opens
    (not as root) close the open tabs/sessions and "Settings" -> "Save as
    Default"

    vb

  5. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    Vincent Batts wrote:

    > On 2008-04-24, Godzilla wrote:
    >> Vincent Batts wrote:

    >>> like to launch konsole, or once kosole is opened, the terminal type is
    >>> the super user mode and needs roots credentials?
    >>>
    >>> if its an ownership issue of something in $HOME/.kde then `chown -R
    >>> $USER $HOME/.kde*` that directory.
    >>>
    >>> if its a setting inside of konsole then "Session" from the top "New
    >>> Linux Console" and in this new window/tab click on "Settings" at the
    >>> top, and "Save as Default"
    >>>
    >>> that should do the trick.
    >>>
    >>> vb

    >> Thanks for the input, but neither approach worked. The ownership of
    >> Konsole was already set to this user, rather than Root. "Save as Default"
    >> ignored the command and entering Konsole the next time again brought up
    >> the Root prompt. But, I shall keep scratching my head for something that
    >> I have overlooked.
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > okay, try, "Settings" -> "Configure Konsole.." -> the "Session" tab
    > and assuming that the Highlighted 'Session' in the lower right hand box,
    > is _Your_ default, which is _the_ "Linux Console", make sure it is
    > highlighted, and the field at the top "Execute:", ensure that it is
    > 'bash' or the like, not something like 'su -',
    > then click the "Save Session" button and the "OK" to exit the
    > configuration.
    > and just to confirm this, you can then open a new tab/session from the
    > menu, specifically choosing the "Linux Console" session. once it opens
    > (not as root) close the open tabs/sessions and "Settings" -> "Save as
    > Default"
    >

    > vb

    I really appreciate all of the effort that you have gone to in my behalf to
    try to solve my miniscule but baffling problem. However, after performing
    your latest suggestions (twice, to be certain that I didn't miss anything)
    it still opens as Root Shell console when I try to enter plain vanilla
    Konsole. ;-)

    It won't kill me to have to enter a couple of extra keystrokes to get into
    Konsole, but it is still puzzling as to why this is happening.

    Thanks again,

    Godzilla

  6. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Godzilla wrote:-

    >I really appreciate all of the effort that you have gone to in my behalf to
    >try to solve my miniscule but baffling problem. However, after performing
    >your latest suggestions (twice, to be certain that I didn't miss anything)
    >it still opens as Root Shell console when I try to enter plain vanilla
    >Konsole. ;-)
    >
    >It won't kill me to have to enter a couple of extra keystrokes to get into
    >Konsole, but it is still puzzling as to why this is happening.

    Since everything else you've tried has failed, and assuming you're not
    using VNC or similar over a network and you're using KDE3, try this:

    1, close all instances of konsole;
    2, log in using one of the physical consoles (ALT-CTRL-F1 to ALT-CTRL-F6);
    3, use the command[0]:

    mv ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/konsolerc{,.bak}

    4, switch back to your desktop (ALT-F7) and start konsole.

    The above renames konsole's config file so that when it restarts it
    starts up using the defaults. This should stop it starting up with the
    root console.

    [0] Just in case your font doesn't make those brackets appear clearly,
    they are the shifted square brackets [] .

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  7. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    On 2008-04-25, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Godzilla wrote:-
    >

    >>I really appreciate all of the effort that you have gone to in my behalf to
    >>try to solve my miniscule but baffling problem. However, after performing
    >>your latest suggestions (twice, to be certain that I didn't miss anything)
    >>it still opens as Root Shell console when I try to enter plain vanilla
    >>Konsole. ;-)
    >>
    >>It won't kill me to have to enter a couple of extra keystrokes to get into
    >>Konsole, but it is still puzzling as to why this is happening.

    > Since everything else you've tried has failed, and assuming you're not
    > using VNC or similar over a network and you're using KDE3, try this:
    >
    > 1, close all instances of konsole;
    > 2, log in using one of the physical consoles (ALT-CTRL-F1 to ALT-CTRL-F6);
    > 3, use the command[0]:
    >
    > mv ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/konsolerc{,.bak}
    >
    > 4, switch back to your desktop (ALT-F7) and start konsole.

    good recommendation, you could also just use an alternative console like
    'xterm' instead of going to tty1

    vb

  8. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Godzilla wrote:-
    >

    >>I really appreciate all of the effort that you have gone to in my behalf
    >>to try to solve my miniscule but baffling problem. However, after
    >>performing your latest suggestions (twice, to be certain that I didn't
    >>miss anything) it still opens as Root Shell console when I try to enter
    >>plain vanilla Konsole. ;-)
    >>
    >>It won't kill me to have to enter a couple of extra keystrokes to get into
    >>Konsole, but it is still puzzling as to why this is happening.

    > Since everything else you've tried has failed, and assuming you're not
    > using VNC or similar over a network and you're using KDE3, try this:
    >
    > 1, close all instances of konsole;
    > 2, log in using one of the physical consoles (ALT-CTRL-F1 to ALT-CTRL-F6);
    > 3, use the command[0]:
    >
    > mv ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/konsolerc{,.bak}
    >
    > 4, switch back to your desktop (ALT-F7) and start konsole.
    >
    > The above renames konsole's config file so that when it restarts it
    > starts up using the defaults. This should stop it starting up with the
    > root console.
    >

    > [0] Just in case your font doesn't make those brackets appear clearly,
    > they are the shifted square brackets [] .
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Absolutely amazing! That did the job, and my konsole is back to normal!
    The only thing that wasn't clear to me was "use the command[0]:"
    That gave me a "command not recognized." I even tried it again without the
    square brackets. But, the important thing was that it worked even without
    my correct usage of the 0, with or without the square brackets.

    Thank you again so much for the help from everyone on this simple but
    frustrating task.

    Godzilla

  9. Re: Restoring Konsole default user

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Godzilla wrote:-

    >> 3, use the command[0]:

    ^^^
    That there, referred to this bit here:

    >> [0] Just in case your font doesn't make those brackets appear clearly,
    >> they are the shifted square brackets [] .

    And the command you should have entered was this one:

    >> mv ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/konsolerc{,.bak}

    ^ ^ ^ ^
    And the comment about the shifted square brackets referred to these
    brackets

    >Absolutely amazing! That did the job, and my konsole is back to normal!

    However, glad you got it all sorted out.