VMware guest, time question - Suse

This is a discussion on VMware guest, time question - Suse ; The time on my SLES 10 server on VMware ESX 2.5.3 races about an hour ahead every day. I've followed the suggestions in TID 3858673 on support.novell.com to no avail. I have the ntpd configured to point to 3 resources ...

  1. VMware guest, time question

    The time on my SLES 10 server on VMware ESX 2.5.3 races about an hour
    ahead every day. I've followed the suggestions in TID 3858673 on
    support.novell.com to no avail.

    I have the ntpd configured to point to 3 resources within our internal
    network.

    Interestingly, when I access the GUI, I see the incorrect time shown
    on the panel bar. When I right click and choose "adjust date and
    time," enter the password for YaST to run the time program, and select
    the option to change the time, the time displayed within that utility
    is the correct time (although the panel still reflects the incorrect
    time). When I choose 'accept' the time changes on the panel to the
    correct time.

    So it seems that accessing the time utility to synch with the NTP
    sources upon manual access, but apparently it falls asleep during the
    day/evening. The log files show a few errors of not being able to
    access the time sources, but there are subsequent synchronizations
    that are not too far off the actual time per instance.

    Other servers on the same host and within the environment (NetWare,
    Windows) use these same time sources without issue.

    I was thinking of put a cron job on it to restart ntpd every day, but
    the reality is that if I'm losing roughly 2.5 minutes every hour then
    I'd have to schedule cron to restart the daemon every 15 minutes or
    so, which seems crazy.

    Any other suggestions?

  2. Re: VMware guest, time question

    You might try having a read of this.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918461

    I'm no expert on VMware. Try the VMware communities at

    http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn

    --
    Cheers, Des

+ Reply to Thread