Test Post - Thanks Houghi! - Suse

This is a discussion on Test Post - Thanks Houghi! - Suse ; Trying out news.motzarella.org using port 443... I tried doing this with Rootshell.be and slrn - but could NOT do it. This is using my winderz box at work, and Thunderbird....

  1. Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    Trying out news.motzarella.org using port 443...

    I tried doing this with Rootshell.be and slrn - but could NOT do it.
    This is using my winderz box at work, and Thunderbird.

  2. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    Skippyboy wrote:
    > Trying out news.motzarella.org using port 443...
    >
    > I tried doing this with Rootshell.be and slrn - but could NOT do it.
    > This is using my winderz box at work, and Thunderbird.

    Just a bit more info... I read Houghi's posts about rootshell.be and
    slrn. I was able to set up a rootshell account and get slrn configured
    with Motzarella.org, but for some reason simply can NOT post from
    rootshell.be

    Using Thunderbird on my winderz box I am posting this. (using same
    username/port) I wonder if there is some permission setting needed for
    slrn/rootshell to post?

    Any ideas?

  3. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    On Monday 21 April 2008 11:56 am, Skippyboy @ skippyboy@dev.null wrote:

    > Skippyboy wrote:
    >> Trying out news.motzarella.org using port 443...
    >>
    >> I tried doing this with Rootshell.be and slrn - but could NOT do it.
    >> This is using my winderz box at work, and Thunderbird.

    > Just a bit more info... I read Houghi's posts about rootshell.be and
    > slrn. I was able to set up a rootshell account and get slrn configured
    > with Motzarella.org, but for some reason simply can NOT post from
    > rootshell.be
    >
    > Using Thunderbird on my winderz box I am posting this. (using same
    > username/port) I wonder if there is some permission setting needed for
    > slrn/rootshell to post?
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You know, I have to wonder why anyone would use slrn, although I know a few
    of you guys do. I find it painful. It certainly isn't speedy or efficient
    and to me, seems as cumbersome as using a web browser to access NNTP.

    So, what's the big attraction? LMK if I'm missing something here. Are you
    forced to remain in command mode while newsreading, or... some kind of
    masochistic rite of passage, etc...?

    Please enlighten...

    --
    "... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
    lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of

  4. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    Pete Puma wrote:

    houghi
    | Artist : Prince
    | Song : Cindy C.
    | Album : The Black Album

  5. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    Pete Puma wrote:
    > On Monday 21 April 2008 11:56 am, Skippyboy @ skippyboy@dev.null wrote:
    >
    >> Skippyboy wrote:
    >>> Trying out news.motzarella.org using port 443...
    >>>
    >>> I tried doing this with Rootshell.be and slrn - but could NOT do it.
    >>> This is using my winderz box at work, and Thunderbird.

    >> Just a bit more info... I read Houghi's posts about rootshell.be and
    >> slrn. I was able to set up a rootshell account and get slrn configured
    >> with Motzarella.org, but for some reason simply can NOT post from
    >> rootshell.be
    >>
    >> Using Thunderbird on my winderz box I am posting this. (using same
    >> username/port) I wonder if there is some permission setting needed for
    >> slrn/rootshell to post?
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > You know, I have to wonder why anyone would use slrn, although I know a few
    > of you guys do. I find it painful. It certainly isn't speedy or efficient
    > and to me, seems as cumbersome as using a web browser to access NNTP.
    >
    > So, what's the big attraction? LMK if I'm missing something here. Are you
    > forced to remain in command mode while newsreading, or... some kind of
    > masochistic rite of passage, etc...?
    >
    > Please enlighten...

    It is a learning experience among other things. I find that the more
    applications I expose myself to, and the ways they work and are
    configured, the more I understand a lot of other apps.

    Not all the world is a GUI, and not everyone wants to always be bound by
    a GUI. And as far as reading news with slrn - it is actually quite nice.
    It is really fast to just hit a few keys and not having to use a mouse
    to click-click-click.

    Also - I am interested in learning to use slrn with my rootshell.be
    account for privacy and security reasons. With rootshell - I have a SSH
    session, so no matter where I am logging in from - nobody on the network
    can see where I go or what I do. (Not that I am doing anything illegal,
    I just hate nosy people.)

    Like I stated previously - I can configure Thunderbird just fine, and I
    am connected to motzarella.org with a secure port (port 443), and I can
    read and post just fine. I would just like to be able to do the same
    with slrc. So far I can only READ with slrc, and not post.

  6. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    On Monday 21 April 2008 02:59 pm, Skippyboy @ skippyboy@dev.null wrote:

    > Pete Puma wrote:

    >>> Just a bit more info... I read Houghi's posts about rootshell.be and
    >>> slrn. I was able to set up a rootshell account and get slrn configured
    >>> with Motzarella.org, but for some reason simply can NOT post from
    >>> rootshell.be
    >>>
    >>> Using Thunderbird on my winderz box I am posting this. (using same
    >>> username/port) I wonder if there is some permission setting needed for
    >>> slrn/rootshell to post?
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> You know, I have to wonder why anyone would use slrn, although I know a
    >> few of you guys do. I find it painful. It certainly isn't speedy or
    >> efficient and to me, seems as cumbersome as using a web browser to access
    >> NNTP.
    >>
    >> So, what's the big attraction? LMK if I'm missing something here. Are you
    >> forced to remain in command mode while newsreading, or... some kind of
    >> masochistic rite of passage, etc...?
    >>
    >> Please enlighten...
    >>

    > It is a learning experience among other things. I find that the more
    > applications I expose myself to, and the ways they work and are
    > configured, the more I understand a lot of other apps.
    >
    > Not all the world is a GUI, and not everyone wants to always be bound by
    > a GUI. And as far as reading news with slrn - it is actually quite nice.
    > It is really fast to just hit a few keys and not having to use a mouse
    > to click-click-click.
    >
    > Also - I am interested in learning to use slrn with my rootshell.be
    > account for privacy and security reasons. With rootshell - I have a SSH
    > session, so no matter where I am logging in from - nobody on the network
    > can see where I go or what I do. (Not that I am doing anything illegal,
    > I just hate nosy people.)
    >
    > Like I stated previously - I can configure Thunderbird just fine, and I
    > am connected to motzarella.org with a secure port (port 443), and I can
    > read and post just fine. I would just like to be able to do the same
    > with slrc. So far I can only READ with slrc, and not post.

    Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
    I never did use the keyboard, so I probably didn't get the point of the
    whole experience. Plus, jumping in from the terminal sounds surreptitiously
    convenient...
    Cheers.

    --
    If a child annoys you, quiet him by brushing his hair. If this doesn't
    work, use the other side of the brush on the other end of the child.

  7. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    Pete Puma wrote:
    > On Monday 21 April 2008 02:59 pm, Skippyboy @ skippyboy@dev.null wrote:
    >
    >> Pete Puma wrote:

    >>> You know, I have to wonder why anyone would use slrn, although I know a
    >>> few of you guys do. I find it painful. It certainly isn't speedy or
    >>> efficient and to me, seems as cumbersome as using a web browser to access
    >>> NNTP.
    >>>
    >>> So, what's the big attraction? LMK if I'm missing something here. Are you
    >>> forced to remain in command mode while newsreading, or... some kind of
    >>> masochistic rite of passage, etc...?
    >>>
    >>> Please enlighten...
    >>>

    >> It is a learning experience among other things. I find that the more
    >> applications I expose myself to, and the ways they work and are
    >> configured, the more I understand a lot of other apps.
    >>
    >> Not all the world is a GUI, and not everyone wants to always be bound by
    >> a GUI. And as far as reading news with slrn - it is actually quite nice.
    >> It is really fast to just hit a few keys and not having to use a mouse
    >> to click-click-click.
    >>
    >> Also - I am interested in learning to use slrn with my rootshell.be
    >> account for privacy and security reasons. With rootshell - I have a SSH
    >> session, so no matter where I am logging in from - nobody on the network
    >> can see where I go or what I do. (Not that I am doing anything illegal,
    >> I just hate nosy people.)
    >>
    >> Like I stated previously - I can configure Thunderbird just fine, and I
    >> am connected to motzarella.org with a secure port (port 443), and I can
    >> read and post just fine. I would just like to be able to do the same
    >> with slrc. So far I can only READ with slrc, and not post.

    > Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
    > I never did use the keyboard, so I probably didn't get the point of the
    > whole experience. Plus, jumping in from the terminal sounds surreptitiously
    > convenient...
    > Cheers.

    I actually had to look up "surreptitious". Thanks for increasing my
    vocabulary.
    Anyway - I travel a lot, and sitting in airports, coffee shops, and
    hotels with a wi-fi connection and Wireshark running will show you LOTS
    of things that other people are doing. If you are bored sometime - give
    it a shot. And make sure you watch what happens when you try to connect
    to "Free Public Wifi". Seems that one is at every airport I go to.. :-)

    I prefer not letting people look over my shoulder/wifi...

  8. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    On Monday 21 April 2008 03:16 pm, Skippyboy @ skippyboy@dev.null wrote:

    > Pete Puma wrote:

    >>> It is a learning experience among other things. I find that the more
    >>> applications I expose myself to, and the ways they work and are
    >>> configured, the more I understand a lot of other apps.
    >>>
    >>> Not all the world is a GUI, and not everyone wants to always be bound by
    >>> a GUI. And as far as reading news with slrn - it is actually quite nice.
    >>> It is really fast to just hit a few keys and not having to use a mouse
    >>> to click-click-click.
    >>>
    >>> Also - I am interested in learning to use slrn with my rootshell.be
    >>> account for privacy and security reasons. With rootshell - I have a SSH
    >>> session, so no matter where I am logging in from - nobody on the network
    >>> can see where I go or what I do. (Not that I am doing anything illegal,
    >>> I just hate nosy people.)
    >>>
    >>> Like I stated previously - I can configure Thunderbird just fine, and I
    >>> am connected to motzarella.org with a secure port (port 443), and I can
    >>> read and post just fine. I would just like to be able to do the same
    >>> with slrc. So far I can only READ with slrc, and not post.

    >> Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
    >> I never did use the keyboard, so I probably didn't get the point of the
    >> whole experience. Plus, jumping in from the terminal sounds
    >> surreptitiously convenient...
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > I actually had to look up "surreptitious". Thanks for increasing my
    > vocabulary.
    > Anyway - I travel a lot, and sitting in airports, coffee shops, and
    > hotels with a wi-fi connection and Wireshark running will show you LOTS
    > of things that other people are doing. If you are bored sometime - give
    > it a shot. And make sure you watch what happens when you try to connect
    > to "Free Public Wifi". Seems that one is at every airport I go to.. :-)
    >
    > I prefer not letting people look over my shoulder/wifi...

    I Wiresharked my nephew at my sis's house to quell her anxiety over why he
    was spending non-stop hours of time on IM.
    My report: he had a girlfriend! Once I started reading personal 14 year-old
    conversations, I exited in total embarrassment.
    Still feel guilty about that.
    Nonetheless, Wireshark does work great, especially if you don't have a
    guilty conscience...

    --
    "How do you like the new America? We've cut the fat out of the
    government, and more recently the heart and brain (the backbone was

  9. Re: Test Post - Thanks Houghi!

    On 2008-04-21, Pete Puma wrote:
    > On Monday 21 April 2008 02:59 pm, Skippyboy @ skippyboy@dev.null wrote:
    >
    >> Pete Puma wrote:

    >>> You know, I have to wonder why anyone would use slrn, although I know a
    >>> few of you guys do. I find it painful. It certainly isn't speedy or
    >>> efficient and to me, seems as cumbersome as using a web browser to access
    >>> NNTP.
    >>>
    >>> So, what's the big attraction? LMK if I'm missing something here. Are you
    >>> forced to remain in command mode while newsreading, or... some kind of
    >>> masochistic rite of passage, etc...?
    >>>
    >>> Please enlighten...

    I'm using it for two reasons:

    1. It has splendid scoring capabilities.

    2. I have it running on my server at home. I can access the same
    newsreader as well locally as from anywhere and and with anything.

    I'm also using screen, of course. So I can drop the connection
    (or be dropped) and I can come back anytime and anywhere just where I
    left it.

    "Anything" here is like over GPRS with a mobile phone/Putty.

    If I had a newreader on my phone (there are no good ones and the display
    is no good for GUI) how would I keep the two in sync?

    I can also monitor and do whatever else on my server via this
    connection.

    If you come up with a better solution for a mobile phone, please tell
    us

    > Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
    > I never did use the keyboard, so I probably didn't get the point of the
    > whole experience. Plus, jumping in from the terminal sounds surreptitiously
    > convenient...
    > Cheers.

    That comment told me you wanted to know, not just troll...

    Have a Google for: ssh2, screen, Putty, slrn scoring.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com