Changing screen size - Suse

This is a discussion on Changing screen size - Suse ; I know it's there, but where? How do I change the screen size in 10.3, KDE? Looked everywhere, no doubt can't see it for looking! T.I.A....

  1. Changing screen size

    I know it's there, but where?

    How do I change the screen size in 10.3, KDE?

    Looked everywhere, no doubt can't see it for looking!

    T.I.A.

  2. Re: Changing screen size

    John Phillips wrote:
    > I know it's there, but where?
    >
    > How do I change the screen size in 10.3, KDE?
    >
    > Looked everywhere, no doubt can't see it for looking!

    openSUSE is unable to change the phusical size of your screen.
    Otherwise you could do YaST, Hardware, Graphics Card and Monitor or:

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Move on
    | Album : Inner secrets

  3. Re: Changing screen size

    John Phillips wrote:

    > I know it's there, but where?
    >
    > How do I change the screen size in 10.3, KDE?
    >
    > Looked everywhere, no doubt can't see it for looking!

    (the plus key on the numeric keyboard)

    (the minus key on the numeric keyboard)

    YAST Control Centre > Graphics card and monitor > Resolution

    --
    A.B.

  4. Re: Changing screen size

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:34:00 GMT Arthur Buse
    wrote:

    > YAST Control Centre > Graphics card and monitor > Resolution

    That's the one I was looking for, you saved my eyesight!

    (I have an idea Wine may have fiddled with the settings, but as usual,
    not sure!)

  5. Re: Changing screen size

    John Phillips wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:33:07 +0200 houghi
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Still problems?

    > Thanks for comprehensive reply, now solved!

    To be honest I typed the answer many moons ago and all I do now was type
    [ESC]:r N[TAB]F[TAB]x[Enter]

    :r means insert file into vi
    N[TAB] is ~/News
    F[TAB] is ~/FAQ
    x is well x.

    So it is basicaly inser the file ~/News/FAQ/x into whatever I am
    writing. :-D

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  6. Re: Changing screen size

    houghi wrote:

    > John Phillips wrote:
    >> I know it's there, but where?
    >>
    >> How do I change the screen size in 10.3, KDE?
    >>
    >> Looked everywhere, no doubt can't see it for looking!

    > openSUSE is unable to change the phusical size of your screen.

    yeezz, is suse not able to change the physical size of a monitor? Really bad
    ;-)

    taco

  7. Re: Changing screen size

    On 2008-04-20 12:07, houghi wrote:
    > John Phillips wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:33:07 +0200 houghi
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Still problems?

    >> Thanks for comprehensive reply, now solved!

    > To be honest I typed the answer many moons ago and all I do now was type
    > [ESC]:r N[TAB]F[TAB]x[Enter]
    >
    > :r means insert file into vi
    > N[TAB] is ~/News
    > F[TAB] is ~/FAQ
    > x is well x.
    >
    > So it is basicaly inser the file ~/News/FAQ/x into whatever I am
    > writing. :-D
    >
    > houghi

    You can put it in .exrc
    :map #6 :.!cat News/FAQ/x^M

    Then you just press F6 to replace the current line with the text :-)

    You can also make an ab entry for it, as example my ab for a new RCS file:
    ab SRCS # $Id:$^M# $Header:$^M#
    I just type SRCS and get:
    # $Id:$
    # $Header:$
    #

    So you can easy add an ab for FAQx
    (for those that don't know, ^M is typed as ctrl-V cltr-M, and no empty
    lines are allowed in .exrc, since the warning makes vi to return a
    non 0 exit code and things like crontab -e will fail)

    I use the Nvidia settings GUI , it's simple to use if some full screen app
    crash and leave the screen in a low res mode if ctrlalt+ don't bite.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread