ok dumb question on booting - Suse

This is a discussion on ok dumb question on booting - Suse ; I cant install grub or lilo for some reason windows is the only os that starts. My linux root is in sda5 and that is where i have to boot it from. Problem is I dont have a floppy and ...

  1. ok dumb question on booting

    I cant install grub or lilo for some reason windows is the only os that
    starts. My linux root is in sda5 and that is where i have to boot it from.
    Problem is I dont have a floppy and suse install seems to want to only make
    boot floppysI need to use something put on a cd or dvd maybe grub or
    something .. Im open to suggestions

    bob

  2. Re: ok dumb question on booting

    bob wrote:

    > I cant install grub or lilo for some reason windows is the only os that
    > starts. My linux root is in sda5 and that is where i have to boot it from.
    > Problem is I dont have a floppy and suse install seems to want to only
    > make boot floppysI need to use something put on a cd or dvd maybe grub or
    > something .. Im open to suggestions
    >
    > bob

    I could be wrong but if you go into your CMOS setup and see what devices are
    set (in what order) as boot devices then install lilo or grub to the
    primary (some bios' call it first) boot device then tell your boot loader
    (be it lilo or grub or somethin' else) about your linux root on sda5--and
    any other OSs you'd like to boot) you may be in business.

    kev.

+ Reply to Thread