Open Office security update hangs - Suse

This is a discussion on Open Office security update hangs - Suse ; The RED triangle on OpenSUSE updater told me that there were two security updates for Open Office. When I told it to install them, it gave me error messages. Then, I remembered a similar problem that occurred last year and ...

  1. Open Office security update hangs

    The RED triangle on OpenSUSE updater told me that there were two security
    updates for Open Office. When I told it to install them, it gave me error
    messages. Then, I remembered a similar problem that occurred last year and
    a solution that was kindly given to me on this group.

    So, I went into terminal as root, and did the following:

    rpm --rebuilddb

    then:

    zypper ref

    zypper lu

    Since it showed the two updates in Open Office, I did:

    zypper up

    After it started, it gave me the following:

    2 Problems:
    Problem: No valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture.
    Problem: This would invalidate OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch.

    Problem: No valid solution found with just resolvables of best architecture.
    With this run only resolvables with the best architecture have been
    regarded.
    Regarding all possible resolvables takes time, but can come to a valid
    result.
    Solution 1: Make a solver run with ALL possibilities.
    Regarding all resolvables with a compatible architecture.
    number, (r)etry or (c)ancel> 1
    Applying solution 1

    Problem: This would invalidate OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch.
    OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch has unfulfilled requirements
    === OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch ===
    OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch is needed by
    atom:OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-2.3.noarch[openSUSE-10.3-Updates]
    (OpenOffice_org-ja == 2.3.0.1.2-3)
    OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.i586[openSUSE-10.3-Updates] provides
    OpenOffice_org == 2.3.0.1.2-10.3, but another version of that package is
    already installed.
    OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.x86_64 provides OpenOffice_org ==
    2.3.0.1.2-10.3, but is scheduled to be uninstalled.
    Can't satisfy requirement OpenOffice_org == 2.3.0.1.2 for
    OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch

    Solution 1: delete OpenOffice_org-ja
    delete OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch
    number, (r)etry or (c)ancel> 1
    Applying solution 1

    When I chose solution 1, it has just hung there for over an hour, and I do
    not have a slow computer! Do my colleagues have any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Open Office security update hangs

    On Thursday 17 April 2008 02:22 pm, Godzilla @ godzilla@monsters.org wrote:

    > The RED triangle on OpenSUSE updater told me that there were two security
    > updates for Open Office. When I told it to install them, it gave me error
    > messages. Then, I remembered a similar problem that occurred last year and
    > a solution that was kindly given to me on this group.
    >
    > So, I went into terminal as root, and did the following:
    >
    > rpm --rebuilddb
    >
    > then:
    >
    > zypper ref
    >
    > zypper lu
    >
    > Since it showed the two updates in Open Office, I did:
    >
    > zypper up
    >
    > After it started, it gave me the following:
    >
    > 2 Problems:
    > Problem: No valid solution found with just resolvables of best
    > architecture. Problem: This would invalidate
    > OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch.
    >
    > Problem: No valid solution found with just resolvables of best
    > architecture.
    > With this run only resolvables with the best architecture have been
    > regarded.
    > Regarding all possible resolvables takes time, but can come to a valid
    > result.
    > Solution 1: Make a solver run with ALL possibilities.
    > Regarding all resolvables with a compatible architecture.
    > number, (r)etry or (c)ancel> 1
    > Applying solution 1
    >
    > Problem: This would invalidate OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch.
    > OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch has unfulfilled requirements
    > === OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch ===
    > OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch is needed by
    > atom:OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-2.3.noarch[openSUSE-10.3-Updates]
    > (OpenOffice_org-ja == 2.3.0.1.2-3)
    > OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.i586[openSUSE-10.3-Updates] provides
    > OpenOffice_org == 2.3.0.1.2-10.3, but another version of that package is
    > already installed.
    > OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.x86_64 provides OpenOffice_org ==
    > 2.3.0.1.2-10.3, but is scheduled to be uninstalled.
    > Can't satisfy requirement OpenOffice_org == 2.3.0.1.2 for
    > OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch
    >
    > Solution 1: delete OpenOffice_org-ja
    > delete OpenOffice_org-ja-2.3.0.1.2-3.noarch
    > number, (r)etry or (c)ancel> 1
    > Applying solution 1

    > When I chose solution 1, it has just hung there for over an hour, and I do
    > not have a slow computer! Do my colleagues have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    I would have done what you did given the above, but I have a feeling
    the "ja" file isn't quite ready. Sometimes, some languages take a back seat
    to the more populaar English and Euro ones.
    Isn't ja for Japanese? If it's hanging on the Japanese files and you don't
    need them, then, a no brainer...

    But first I would try this:

    OTTOMH (off the top of my head), right click Suse updater and quit. Open
    Yast > Software Management > Packages > All Packages > Update if newer
    version ... etc.
    Let fly. You'll also get the latest Knode, too.
    Provided you have the repos set, of course.

    Or delete all of the OO stuff and Yast from scratch and not asking for the
    ja files. They may not be done for another week or so.

    --
    In 1915 pancake make-up was invented but most people still preferred
    syrup.

  3. Re: Open Office security update hangs

    Pete Puma wrote:

> [...]
    >> do not have a slow computer! Do my colleagues have any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > I would have done what you did given the above, but I have a feeling
    > the "ja" file isn't quite ready. Sometimes, some languages take a back
    > seat to the more populaar English and Euro ones.
    > Isn't ja for Japanese? If it's hanging on the Japanese files and you don't
    > need them, then, a no brainer...
    >
    > But first I would try this:
    >
    > OTTOMH (off the top of my head), right click Suse updater and quit. Open
    > Yast > Software Management > Packages > All Packages > Update if newer
    > version ... etc.
    > Let fly. You'll also get the latest Knode, too.
    > Provided you have the repos set, of course.
    >
    > Or delete all of the OO stuff and Yast from scratch and not asking for the
    > ja files. They may not be done for another week or so.

    That was a good shotgun approach, but All Packages gave me a list of too
    many conflicts. While still in YAST, Software Management, I deleted the
    Japanese version of Open Office. Some time ago, I vaguely remember
    installing it just to impress someone that I could write Japanese, and
    forgot that it was still there. ;-) While I was at it, I updated a few
    other applications that I hand picked.

    Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. That red nag triangle is
    just an annoyance when it does nothing.

    Godzilla

  4. Re: Open Office security update hangs

    On Thursday 17 April 2008 05:49 pm, Godzilla @ godzilla@monsters.org wrote:

> [...]

    >> OTTOMH (off the top of my head), right click Suse updater and quit. Open
    >> Yast > Software Management > Packages > All Packages > Update if newer
    >> version ... etc.
    >> Let fly. You'll also get the latest Knode, too.
    >> Provided you have the repos set, of course.
    >>
    >> Or delete all of the OO stuff and Yast from scratch and not asking for
    >> the ja files. They may not be done for another week or so.
    >>

    > That was a good shotgun approach, but All Packages gave me a list of too
    > many conflicts. While still in YAST, Software Management, I deleted the
    > Japanese version of Open Office. Some time ago, I vaguely remember
    > installing it just to impress someone that I could write Japanese, and
    > forgot that it was still there. ;-) While I was at it, I updated a few
    > other applications that I hand picked.
    >
    > Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. That red nag triangle is

    Checking old posts... I happen to think that the reason you see the red
    triangle is because there are in fact conflicts (which you say Yast flags)
    and openSUSE updater doesn't handle them like Yast does, so you'll see
    openSUSE updater struggle to complete it--often. Think of it as the little
    engine that tries...
    You'll need to settle your conflicts a bit at a time. The good news is most
    of this occurs (I assume) when you add new repos and Yast flags
    a "different provider" as a conflict. I think it's a PIA and don't get why
    Yast feels the need to do this, but I could be overlooking something.
    But read through them and click "accept new provider" or whatever the button
    says when you get that easy opportunity...
    --
    The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
    -- Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread