Bar-code scanner gun to database? - Suse

This is a discussion on Bar-code scanner gun to database? - Suse ; Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools? I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database. However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code label on these things as ...

  1. Bar-code scanner gun to database?

    Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools?
    I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database.

    However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code label on
    these things as there are different types of codes.
    Any resources or references would help me. Easily over 2000 items and I type
    like a chicken eats, so scanning is my only way out.

    --
    We have met the enemy, and he is us.
    -- Walt Kelly

  2. Re: Bar-code scanner gun to database?

    Pete Puma wrote:
    > Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools?
    > I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database.
    >
    > However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code label on
    > these things as there are different types of codes.
    > Any resources or references would help me. Easily over 2000 items and I type
    > like a chicken eats, so scanning is my only way out.

    Barcodes are basicaly nubers. So you zould need to find a database that
    links these numbers to the right records<

    Better ask the question in a music group as it is unrelated to anything
    softare. I believe that opendb is able to do it.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  3. Re: Bar-code scanner gun to database?

    Pete Puma wrote:
    > Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools?
    > I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database.
    >
    > However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code label on
    > these things as there are different types of codes.
    > Any resources or references would help me. Easily over 2000 items and I type
    > like a chicken eats, so scanning is my only way out.

    Nice intro from ccc on barcodes:
    http://chaosradio.ccc.de/24c3_m4v.html
    http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/F...s/2273.en.html

    Have fun,
    Uwe

  4. Re: Bar-code scanner gun to database?

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    , Pete Puma wrote:

    >Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools?
    >I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database.
    >
    >However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code
    >label on these things as there are different types of codes.

    Look at the bar-code. Along the top and/or bottom, you'll see a
    string of numbers such as

    ISBN 1-7907-8176-X
    || l|lIl |I| |l|l||| | I|ll|| ll|| ||
    || l|lIl |I| |l|l||| | I|ll|| ll|| ||
    || l|lIl |I| |l|l||| | l|ll|| ll|| ||
    0 85392 79182 8

    which is the bar-code off the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1
    DVD that has your nym co-staring in "Rabbit's Kin" on disc 1. If you
    scan that bar-code, you'll get the bottom number which is the product
    code. If you want the product _description_ from that, you'll have to
    find a copy of the manufacturers database, look up the product number,
    and there's the description.

    >Any resources or references would help me. Easily over 2000 items and
    >I type like a chicken eats, so scanning is my only way out.

    Someone is going to have to type - or be cutting and pasting a lot.
    All the bar-code is is just another way to write (machine readable) the
    same numbers - so if '0 85392 79182 8' doesn't mean a thing to you,
    the bar-code is going to decode into the same useless numbers.

    >We have met the enemy, and he is us.
    > -- Walt Kelly

    So hit google, and search for 0-671-21260-5 which is the ISBN for the
    Simon and Schuster paperback of that book - or you could look up the
    LOCUS number which is 70-189742. But neither of those numbers are
    going to tell you this is an old Pogo paperback book (that has the ISBN
    on the back, but no bar-code) without you consulting the database for
    either numbering scheme. (And now you've made me need to read a dozen
    Pogo books that I have.)

    Old guy

  5. Re: Bar-code scanner gun to database?

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    > , Pete Puma wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools?
    >>I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database.
    >>
    >>However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code
    >>label on these things as there are different types of codes.

    > Look at the bar-code. Along the top and/or bottom, you'll see a
    > string of numbers such as
    >
    > ISBN 1-7907-8176-X
    > || l|lIl |I| |l|l||| | I|ll|| ll|| ||
    > || l|lIl |I| |l|l||| | I|ll|| ll|| ||
    > || l|lIl |I| |l|l||| | l|ll|| ll|| ||
    > 0 85392 79182 8
    >
    > which is the bar-code off the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1
    > DVD that has your nym co-staring in "Rabbit's Kin" on disc 1. If you
    > scan that bar-code, you'll get the bottom number which is the product
    > code. If you want the product _description_ from that, you'll have to
    > find a copy of the manufacturers database, look up the product number,
    > and there's the description.
    >
    >>Any resources or references would help me. Easily over 2000 items and
    >>I type like a chicken eats, so scanning is my only way out.

    > Someone is going to have to type - or be cutting and pasting a lot.
    > All the bar-code is is just another way to write (machine readable) the
    > same numbers - so if '0 85392 79182 8' doesn't mean a thing to you,
    > the bar-code is going to decode into the same useless numbers.
    >
    >>We have met the enemy, and he is us.
    >> -- Walt Kelly

    > So hit google, and search for 0-671-21260-5 which is the ISBN for the
    > Simon and Schuster paperback of that book - or you could look up the
    > LOCUS number which is 70-189742. But neither of those numbers are
    > going to tell you this is an old Pogo paperback book (that has the ISBN
    > on the back, but no bar-code) without you consulting the database for
    > either numbering scheme. (And now you've made me need to read a dozen
    > Pogo books that I have.)
    >
    > Old guy

    It has been quite a while since I was a cash register/point of sale
    consultant but I think any well constructed database program can be set up
    to insert the UPC code and then using relational tables fill in the
    appropriate information.

    I haven't tried anything but perhaps the OP might be interested in this web
    site. http://www.upcdatabase.com On the Downloads pages one can download
    the various manufacturers databases.

    If one sets up the Keys and field names appropriately, it might be just a
    matter of scanning in the UPC barcode (or whatever) and using that as a KEY
    pick up the rest of the information. Then a small program can be written
    that would take the appropriate information and put it into an application
    of one's choice.

    Having been a programmer for a long long time, I realize that some programs
    that should take a couple of hours might end up taking a couple of months.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  6. Re: Bar-code scanner gun to database?

    On Wednesday 16 April 2008 04:30 am, houghi @ houghi@houghi.org.invalid
    wrote:

    > Pete Puma wrote:
    >> Anyone with this experience recommend the right tools?
    >> I have a zillion CDs and DVDs I'd like to zap into a database.
    >>
    >> However, I don't know exactly what data to expect from the bar code label
    >> on these things as there are different types of codes.
    >> Any resources or references would help me. Easily over 2000 items and I
    >> type like a chicken eats, so scanning is my only way out.

    > Barcodes are basicaly nubers. So you zould need to find a database that
    > links these numbers to the right records<
    >
    > Better ask the question in a music group as it is unrelated to anything
    > softare. I believe that opendb is able to do it.
    >
    > houghi

    Thanks, all--appreciate the posts and of course, that there are other Pete
    Puma fans out there (is someone not?).
    I have some serious work to do here.

    signed,
    The Little Darlin's Mother...