Strange WLAN (or DHCP) problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Strange WLAN (or DHCP) problem - Suse ; I've got a Toshiba laptop with a 3945B/G wireless card that refuses to acquire a DCHP lease from my router/AP. I have a slightly older model Toshiba with the same card that works as expected. All setup and config parameters ...

  1. Strange WLAN (or DHCP) problem

    I've got a Toshiba laptop with a 3945B/G wireless card that refuses to
    acquire a DCHP lease from my router/AP. I have a slightly older model
    Toshiba with the same card that works as expected. All setup and config
    parameters are identical (far as I can tell) and both machines are on the
    same version (10.2 with all updates) but the newer one refuses to acquire a
    lease, the older one works. All was well until about 2 weeks ago.

    Now the first really odd part: if I assign a fixed IP to the problem card,
    it works like a champ.

    I get the same result when I boot to Win XP: No DHCP.

    I've swapped in another router/AP/DNS server - same results and none of the
    other machines I've tried have any problem getting online.

    Anybody have any thoughts one wtf is going on here?

    --
    Will Honea

  2. Re: Strange WLAN (or DHCP) problem

    Will Honea wrote:

    > I've got a Toshiba laptop with a 3945B/G wireless card that refuses to
    > acquire a DCHP lease from my router/AP. I have a slightly older model
    > Toshiba with the same card that works as expected. All setup and config
    > parameters are identical (far as I can tell) and both machines are on the
    > same version (10.2 with all updates) but the newer one refuses to acquire
    > a lease, the older one works. All was well until about 2 weeks ago.
    >
    > Now the first really odd part: if I assign a fixed IP to the problem card,
    > it works like a champ.
    >
    > I get the same result when I boot to Win XP: No DHCP.
    >
    > I've swapped in another router/AP/DNS server - same results and none of
    > the other machines I've tried have any problem getting online.
    >
    > Anybody have any thoughts one wtf is going on here?

    hi,
    always check first if a packetsniffer (wireshark) is able to see a reply
    from your dhcp server and your card is actually sending requests.
    Taco

+ Reply to Thread