What better FTP client is there? - Suse

This is a discussion on What better FTP client is there? - Suse ; I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For more automated stuff I use sitecopy. However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload them, then do another minor change ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: What better FTP client is there?

  1. What better FTP client is there?

    I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    more automated stuff I use sitecopy.

    However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload
    them, then do another minor change and upload.

    First Gftp asks me to confirm an overwrite. This is anoying to me,
    altough it is a great default. I do not like it and I do not need it. I
    know what the risks are and I have already deleted sites and pages that
    I shouldn't have. However that is my choice and I stick to it.

    Are there any (GUI) programs that are able to handle this?

    Even `mc` asks for a confirmation. Writing a script to use ncftpput
    would not be an option, because I want to have the thing open and just
    doubleclick the file and be done with it.

    I looked at the settings, yet nothing I found and changed was disableing
    the request to overwrite. At the job I have a program that asks if want
    to disable it and then does so.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Wham
    | Album : Inner secrets

  2. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    houghi wrote:

    > I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    > more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >
    > I looked at the settings, yet nothing I found and changed was disableing
    > the request to overwrite. At the job I have a program that asks if want
    > to disable it and then does so.
    >


    Nothing obvious in ~/.gftp/gftprc?

    Regards



  3. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    In article , houghi wrote:
    > I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    > more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >
    > However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload
    > them, then do another minor change and upload.
    >
    > First Gftp asks me to confirm an overwrite. This is anoying to me,
    > altough it is a great default. I do not like it and I do not need it. I
    > know what the risks are and I have already deleted sites and pages that
    > I shouldn't have. However that is my choice and I stick to it.
    >
    > Are there any (GUI) programs that are able to handle this?
    >
    > Even `mc` asks for a confirmation. Writing a script to use ncftpput
    > would not be an option, because I want to have the thing open and just
    > doubleclick the file and be done with it.
    >
    > I looked at the settings, yet nothing I found and changed was disableing
    > the request to overwrite. At the job I have a program that asks if want
    > to disable it and then does so.
    >
    > houghi


    If you don't mind using the command line, how about ncftp?

    W.

  4. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:
    > In article , houghi wrote:


    >> Writing a script to use ncftpput
    >> would not be an option, because I want to have the thing open and just
    >> doubleclick the file and be done with it.


    > If you don't mind using the command line, how about ncftp?


    Because of the above readon.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Xibaba
    | Album : Lotus

  5. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    Gilbert wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    >> more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >>
    >> I looked at the settings, yet nothing I found and changed was disableing
    >> the request to overwrite. At the job I have a program that asks if want
    >> to disable it and then does so.
    >>

    >
    > Nothing obvious in ~/.gftp/gftprc?


    # Overwrite files by default or set to resume file transfers
    overwrite_default=1

    This just sets default. It does not mean it does not ask for it anymore,
    so no, nothing obvious.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Xibaba
    | Album : Lotus

  6. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    watcher@moog.netaxs.com writes:

    >In article , houghi wrote:
    >> I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    >> more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >>
    >> However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload
    >> them, then do another minor change and upload.
    >>
    >> First Gftp asks me to confirm an overwrite. This is anoying to me,
    >> altough it is a great default. I do not like it and I do not need it. I
    >> know what the risks are and I have already deleted sites and pages that
    >> I shouldn't have. However that is my choice and I stick to it.
    >>
    >> Are there any (GUI) programs that are able to handle this?
    >>
    >> Even `mc` asks for a confirmation. Writing a script to use ncftpput
    >> would not be an option, because I want to have the thing open and just
    >> doubleclick the file and be done with it.
    >>
    >> I looked at the settings, yet nothing I found and changed was disableing
    >> the request to overwrite. At the job I have a program that asks if want
    >> to disable it and then does so.
    >>
    >> houghi


    >If you don't mind using the command line, how about ncftp?


    He said he does mind using the command line and wants to just click on the
    file.


  7. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    Gilbert wrote:
    >> # Overwrite files by default or set to resume file transfers
    >> overwrite_default=1
    >>
    >> This just sets default. It does not mean it does not ask for it anymore,
    >> so no, nothing obvious.
    >>

    >
    > Have you tried changing the value? What happens if you set it to 0


    It changes the default. Normaly the default is (I think) skip file. You
    get a popup that says: Overwrite, resume, Skip File, Select All and
    Deselect All.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Boudewijn de Groot
    | Song : Moeder
    | Album : Wonderkind aan het strand (CD 3: Branding)

  8. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    houghi wrote:

    > Gilbert wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    >>> more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at the settings, yet nothing I found and changed was disableing
    >>> the request to overwrite. At the job I have a program that asks if want
    >>> to disable it and then does so.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Nothing obvious in ~/.gftp/gftprc?

    >
    > # Overwrite files by default or set to resume file transfers
    > overwrite_default=1
    >
    > This just sets default. It does not mean it does not ask for it anymore,
    > so no, nothing obvious.
    >


    Have you tried changing the value? What happens if you set it to 0

  9. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    houghi wrote:
    > I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    > more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >
    > However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload
    > them, then do another minor change and upload.
    >
    > First Gftp asks me to confirm an overwrite. This is anoying to me,
    > altough it is a great default. I do not like it and I do not need it. I
    > know what the risks are and I have already deleted sites and pages that
    > I shouldn't have. However that is my choice and I stick to it.
    >
    > Are there any (GUI) programs that are able to handle this?


    Maybe Igloo?


  10. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    >>>
    >>
    >> Have you tried changing the value? What happens if you set it to 0

    >
    > It changes the default. Normaly the default is (I think) skip file. You
    > get a popup that says: Overwrite, resume, Skip File, Select All and
    > Deselect All.
    >


    Doh! I think that the "allow overwrite" ability is a function of your FTP
    Server, not of your FTP client. What are you using as your FTP server? Do
    you have something like "AllowOverwrite = off" in it's config file? If so,
    try changing it to "AllowOverwrite = on"


  11. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    Hi Houghi,

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:30:53 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    > more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >
    > However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload
    > them, then do another minor change and upload.


    Taking a slightly different tack. What HTML editor are you using? Are
    you committed to it? All of the KDE applications, especially Quanta,
    allow you to directly open remote files via the KIO slaves. For example,
    you can open ftp://your.domain.com/somefile.html directly at the file
    open dialog. You can then save directly back to the server. There are
    also KIO slaves for fish (SSH), sftp (also basically SSH), smb etc.

    Quanta also has the added advantage of being a HTML editor, which may be
    handy. It also has upload profiles. So if you don't want to save
    directly to the server (eg: save locally and test before uploading), you
    can just save locally and use the Upload Project facility to push up the
    files you have modified when you are ready. No asking for overwrite
    permission etc. It also keeps track of what it needs to upload, so you
    don't have to upload everything for just one file being changed.

    You can also use Konqueror as a FTP client (same deal as with the KDE
    applications). Although I would expect it would ask about overwriting
    files, so not so useful in your case.

    >
    > First Gftp asks me to confirm an overwrite. This is anoying to me,
    > altough it is a great default. I do not like it and I do not need it. I
    > know what the risks are and I have already deleted sites and pages that
    > I shouldn't have. However that is my choice and I stick to it.
    >
    > Are there any (GUI) programs that are able to handle this?


    > houghi






    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey
    david _AT_ bailey dot id dot au

  12. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    Gilbert wrote:
    >> It changes the default. Normaly the default is (I think) skip file. You
    >> get a popup that says: Overwrite, resume, Skip File, Select All and
    >> Deselect All.

    >
    > Doh! I think that the "allow overwrite" ability is a function of your FTP
    > Server, not of your FTP client. What are you using as your FTP server? Do
    > you have something like "AllowOverwrite = off" in it's config file? If so,
    > try changing it to "AllowOverwrite = on"


    The fact that the server does this is normal and expected. I do not have
    any influence of that server. I do have influence over the client that
    each time the question is asked, it says 'yes' without me clicking
    something.

    The sever also asks a login and password and luckily my client remebers
    the answer to those questions as well.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Radiohead
    | Song : Electioneering
    | Album : OK Computer

  13. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Gilbert wrote:-

    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried changing the value? What happens if you set it to 0

    >>
    >> It changes the default. Normaly the default is (I think) skip file. You
    >> get a popup that says: Overwrite, resume, Skip File, Select All and
    >> Deselect All.
    >>

    >
    >Doh! I think that the "allow overwrite" ability is a function of your FTP
    >Server, not of your FTP client.


    It's a function of the FTP client, not the server:

    ftp> dir
    229 Extended Passive mode OK (|||40587|)
    150 Accepted data connection
    -rw-r--r-- 1 davjam users 63842 Apr 14 11:03 glade3.jpg
    226-Options: -l
    226 1 matches total
    ftp> put glade3.jpg
    local: glade3.jpg remote: glade3.jpg
    229 Extended Passive mode OK (|||6343|)
    150 Accepted data connection
    100% |***********************************************| 63842 13.90 MB/s 00:00 ETA
    226-File successfully transferred
    226 0.006 seconds (measured here), 9.76 Mbytes per second
    63842 bytes sent in 00:00 (1.48 MB/s)
    ftp> dir
    229 Extended Passive mode OK (|||2432|)
    150 Accepted data connection
    -rw-r--r-- 1 davjam users 63842 Apr 14 11:04 glade3.jpg
    226-Options: -l
    226 1 matches total
    ftp> quit
    221-Goodbye. You uploaded 188 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
    221 Logout.

    And the FTP client?

    davjam@donnas:~> rpm -qf $(which ftp)
    lukemftp-1.5-617

    However, that fails on the "must be GUI" criteria.

    As for GUI clients:

    There's FileZilla from Packman. That lets you alter the actions when the
    source and destination have an identically named file. You can have it
    ask, overwrite, overwrite if newer, resume, rename or skip. You can also
    choose different options for uploads and downloads.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1
    SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC |RISC OS 3.11

  14. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    David Bailey wrote:
    > Hi Houghi,
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:30:53 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently using Gftp and it is ok to do the occasional upload. For
    >> more automated stuff I use sitecopy.
    >>
    >> However when working on my site I often do minor changes, then upload
    >> them, then do another minor change and upload.

    >
    > Taking a slightly different tack. What HTML editor are you using?


    Bluefish, vi, nvu, notepad, Notepad++

    > Are
    > you committed to it? All of the KDE applications, especially Quanta,
    > allow you to directly open remote files via the KIO slaves. For example,
    > you can open ftp://your.domain.com/somefile.html directly at the file
    > open dialog. You can then save directly back to the server. There are
    > also KIO slaves for fish (SSH), sftp (also basically SSH), smb etc.


    Will I be able to only upload one file at a time, even when 25 are open
    and perhaps even changed?
    Just because I changed something does not mean I intend to upload it.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Outside now
    | Album : Broadway the Hard Way

  15. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > However, that fails on the "must be GUI" criteria.


    `mc` has it as well, so it is not 'GUI' based.

    > As for GUI clients:
    >
    > There's FileZilla from Packman. That lets you alter the actions when the
    > source and destination have an identically named file. You can have it
    > ask, overwrite, overwrite if newer, resume, rename or skip. You can also
    > choose different options for uploads and downloads.


    As long as I can select each file, I will be fine. Don't forget that
    this is basicaly so I do not need to click OK again. That's it.

    As far as I can see this has become a 'try client X or Y' and nobody
    seems to know which one has what I want (not click OK when doing an
    upload and the file exists)

    I am aware that ther is a multitude of clients. I just wanted to know if
    anybody knew of a client he or she was using that had this feature
    disabled or disabable.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Night school
    | Album : Jazz from hell

  16. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> However, that fails on the "must be GUI" criteria.

    >
    >`mc` has it as well, so it is not 'GUI' based.


    But you wanted a double-click to do the transfer. Can mc initiate the
    transfer if you double-click on a file name?

    >As far as I can see this has become a 'try client X or Y'


    Unfortunately, that's the best anyone can do.

    >and nobody
    >seems to know which one has what I want (not click OK when doing an
    >upload and the file exists)


    I suggested FileZilla because I use it, mostly on Windows but also a few
    times on 10.3, and it seems to do what you want it to do.

    >I am aware that ther is a multitude of clients. I just wanted to know if
    >anybody knew of a client he or she was using that had this feature
    >disabled or disabable.


    Yes, I'm using FileZilla and that's one reason I suggested it.

    While FileZilla defaults to ask if you don't configure it beforehand to
    just overwrite, it does give you the option to remember the choice you
    make when it asks until you close the program.

    The only annoyance I have is that deleting files always seems to require
    confirmation and there isn't an option to turn off that confirmation.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1
    SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC |RISC OS 3.11

  17. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, houghi wrote:-
    >
    >>David Bolt wrote:
    >>> However, that fails on the "must be GUI" criteria.

    >>
    >>`mc` has it as well, so it is not 'GUI' based.

    >
    > But you wanted a double-click to do the transfer. Can mc initiate the
    > transfer if you double-click on a file name?


    I was talking about the confirmation.

    >>As far as I can see this has become a 'try client X or Y'

    >
    > Unfortunately, that's the best anyone can do.


    Indeed unfortunatly. It would have been nice to hear somebody say: I use
    jhhkfFTP version 17.0.3 and that is able to do it.

    >>and nobody
    >>seems to know which one has what I want (not click OK when doing an
    >>upload and the file exists)

    >
    > I suggested FileZilla because I use it, mostly on Windows but also a few
    > times on 10.3, and it seems to do what you want it to do.


    Ok, that was not realy clear to me.

    >>I am aware that ther is a multitude of clients. I just wanted to know if
    >>anybody knew of a client he or she was using that had this feature
    >>disabled or disabable.

    >
    > Yes, I'm using FileZilla and that's one reason I suggested it.


    Ok, that was not clear to me. I must also say that because of the name I
    always thought it was a plugin for Mozilla/Firefox.

    > While FileZilla defaults to ask if you don't configure it beforehand to
    > just overwrite, it does give you the option to remember the choice you
    > make when it asks until you close the program.


    That should be a standard.

    > The only annoyance I have is that deleting files always seems to require
    > confirmation and there isn't an option to turn off that confirmation.


    It should be standard that that is turned off and standard that clicking
    a file deletes it. :-D

    Looks good, although when there is a disconnect, Gftp reconnects to the
    directory where you were previously, which is nice.
    So I will look and see which I think is more important. Direct
    connection to the correct directory I was previously in, or not click OK
    to overwrite.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Metallica
    | Song : The Frayed Ends of Sanity
    | Album : ..And Justice For All

  18. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:


    >> But you wanted a double-click to do the transfer. Can mc initiate the
    >> transfer if you double-click on a file name?

    >
    >I was talking about the confirmation.


    Ah, I thought you were on about double-clicking to start the transfer.

    >> Unfortunately, that's the best anyone can do.

    >
    >Indeed unfortunatly. It would have been nice to hear somebody say: I use
    >jhhkfFTP version 17.0.3 and that is able to do it.


    I should have made it clearer that that was just what I was saying.



    >> Yes, I'm using FileZilla and that's one reason I suggested it.

    >
    >Ok, that was not clear to me. I must also say that because of the name I
    >always thought it was a plugin for Mozilla/Firefox.


    I'd never thought of it that way.

    >> The only annoyance I have is that deleting files always seems to require
    >> confirmation and there isn't an option to turn off that confirmation.

    >
    >It should be standard that that is turned off and standard that clicking
    >a file deletes it. :-D


    Now that would be just evil :-)

    >Looks good, although when there is a disconnect, Gftp reconnects to the
    >directory where you were previously, which is nice.


    Do you use the reconnect button on the toolbar, which looks like an 'R',
    the Server -> Reconnect menu option, or open up a fresh connection? The
    first two options reconnect and return to the last used directory. A
    fresh connection won't.

    >So I will look and see which I think is more important. Direct
    >connection to the correct directory I was previously in, or not click OK
    >to overwrite.


    No clicking OK to overwrite.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    www.davjam.org/lifetype/ www.distributed.net: OGR@100Mnodes, RC5-72@15Mkeys
    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1
    SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC |RISC OS 3.11

  19. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    David Bolt wrote:
    >>Looks good, although when there is a disconnect, Gftp reconnects to the
    >>directory where you were previously, which is nice.

    >
    > Do you use the reconnect button on the toolbar, which looks like an 'R',
    > the Server -> Reconnect menu option, or open up a fresh connection? The
    > first two options reconnect and return to the last used directory. A
    > fresh connection won't.


    I looked at every button, except that one for some reason. Not my fault.
    I was distracted by this: http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/?p=4725

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <


  20. Re: What better FTP client is there?

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:32:24 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Will I be able to only upload one file at a time, even when 25 are open
    > and perhaps even changed?
    > Just because I changed something does not mean I intend to upload it.
    >


    I believe so. From memory, I think you can simply right mouse click on the
    file you want to upload and select "quick upload". That then uploads just
    the file you have selected.

    However, as I recall, it does go through a confirmation page. So from
    your point of view, the project upload thing, may not be exactly what
    you want.

    > houghi


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast