Sound Problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Sound Problem - Suse ; My recent reinstall went swimmingly and, after I consigned Beagle to the nether hells, works quite well. With one exception. I've got the oft-reported "sound problem". When I boot, sound does not work. If I go into Yast and go ...

  1. Sound Problem

    My recent reinstall went swimmingly and, after I consigned
    Beagle to the nether hells, works quite well.

    With one exception. I've got the oft-reported "sound problem".

    When I boot, sound does not work. If I go into Yast and go
    to Sound in the hardware, pretend to edit my sound card
    configuration (but I don't actually change anything) and close
    edit up and let Yast restart sound, everything works wonderfully.

    But the next time I boot, I've got to go through this dance
    again.

    Clearly, something having to do with sound is not being set
    up right on startup. Can anybody give me a hint?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  2. Re: Sound Problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > My recent reinstall went swimmingly and, after I consigned
    > Beagle to the nether hells, works quite well.
    >
    > With one exception. *I've got the oft-reported "sound problem".
    >
    > When I boot, sound does not work. *If I go into Yast and go
    > to Sound in the hardware, pretend to edit my sound card
    > configuration (but I don't actually change anything) and close
    > edit up and let Yast restart sound, everything works wonderfully.
    >
    > But the next time I boot, I've got to go through this dance
    > again.
    >
    > Clearly, something having to do with sound is not being set
    > up right on startup. *Can anybody give me a hint?

    check in "yast - system - runlevel" if alsasound is starting at boot.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Sound Problem

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    [...]
    > Clearly, something having to do with sound is not being set
    > up right on startup. Can anybody give me a hint?

    Are you using KDE and KMix? If so, check that PCM is selected as the master
    channel in KMix.

    --
    Les

  4. Re: Sound Problem

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >[...]
    >>
    >> Clearly, something having to do with sound is not being set
    >> up right on startup. Can anybody give me a hint?

    >Are you using KDE and KMix? If so, check that PCM is selected as the master
    >channel in KMix.

    Thanks.

    I wasn't, but selecting it doesn't allow sound.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: Sound Problem

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >[...]
    >>
    >> Clearly, something having to do with sound is not being set
    >> up right on startup. Can anybody give me a hint?

    >Are you using KDE and KMix? If so, check that PCM is selected as the master
    >channel in KMix.

    The drill is: go into Yast and select "sound card". Highlight
    the sound card. Play test tone. Nothing happens. Then press edit
    the sound card settings. Press "reset all".

    At that point one can hear a clunk as the sound card attaches
    to the output. Play test tone. Test tone is fine. End edit
    process and exit the sound card panel normally.

    Sound is fine from then on.

    Before my reinstall, I did not have this problem. Nor do I
    have it with the other three 10.3 installations I've got.

    Oh well, there are days like these.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: Sound Problem

    EOS wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> My recent reinstall went swimmingly and, after I consigned
    >> Beagle to the nether hells, works quite well.
    >>
    >> With one exception. *I've got the oft-reported "sound problem".
    >>
    >> When I boot, sound does not work. *If I go into Yast and go
    >> to Sound in the hardware, pretend to edit my sound card
    >> configuration (but I don't actually change anything) and close
    >> edit up and let Yast restart sound, everything works wonderfully.
    >>
    >> But the next time I boot, I've got to go through this dance
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Clearly, something having to do with sound is not being set
    >> up right on startup. *Can anybody give me a hint?

    >check in "yast - system - runlevel" if alsasound is starting at boot.

    Hmm. It was not starting at boot, but it was started when I
    entered any runlevel I use (5 almost always.)

    I've set it to start at boot. I'll check it later and
    report back.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread