unknown filesystem type 'smbfs' - Suse

This is a discussion on unknown filesystem type 'smbfs' - Suse ; New install of SuSE10.3 x64. Trying to mount some shares I have used for years. Through YAST I have installed everything related to samba straight from the install disc (DVD). When I run: green:/home/myname# /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S07smbfs restart Umount SMB/ CIFS File ...

  1. unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

    New install of SuSE10.3 x64. Trying to mount some shares I have used
    for years. Through YAST I have installed everything related to samba
    straight from the install disc (DVD). When I run:

    green:/home/myname# /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S07smbfs restart

    Umount SMB/ CIFS File Systems
    done
    Mount CIFS File Systems from /etc/samba/smbfstab
    //host/share on /home/myname/folder/folder type smbfs .mount: unknown
    filesystem type 'smbfs'

    The line from my /etc/samba/smbfstab

    //host/share /home/myname/folder/folder smbfs
    gid=users,fmask=0664,dmask=0775,username=myuser,pa ssword=mypass

    Man page and config file say that an available filetype is smbfs.
    What else can I try/do?
    Rob

  2. Re: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

    rob_mazur wrote:

    > New install of SuSE10.3 x64. Trying to mount some shares I have used
    > for years. Through YAST I have installed everything related to samba
    > straight from the install disc (DVD). When I run:
    >
    > green:/home/myname# /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S07smbfs restart
    >
    > Umount SMB/ CIFS File Systems
    > done
    > Mount CIFS File Systems from /etc/samba/smbfstab
    > //host/share on /home/myname/folder/folder type smbfs .mount: unknown
    > filesystem type 'smbfs'
    >
    > The line from my /etc/samba/smbfstab
    >
    > //host/share /home/myname/folder/folder smbfs
    > gid=users,fmask=0664,dmask=0775,username=myuser,pa ssword=mypass
    >

    > Man page and config file say that an available filetype is smbfs.
    > What else can I try/do?
    > Rob

    Try replacing "smbfs with "cifs"

    --
    Don

  3. Re: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:43:21 -0600, Don Raboud wrote:

    >> Man page and config file say that an available filetype is smbfs.
    >> What else can I try/do?
    >> Rob

    > Try replacing "smbfs with "cifs"

    And if that fails try using smb4k to mount whatever. Then if it mounts
    open a terminal and issue

    mount

    Save and use the information reported to mount the share. Of course you
    have to have the right workgroup too so make sure samba is configured
    properly.

    I bet the problem is in /etc/samba/smb.conf

    You could also set it up with Webmin but I usually just do it manually
    by editing smb.conf. Here's a sample file...

    [global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    netbios name = CRAY
    # interfaces = 192.168.0.100
    security = share
    # update encrypted = Yes
    # null passwords = Yes
    # enable privileges = Yes
    printcap name = cups
    disable spoolss = Yes
    show add printer wizard = No
    # domain master = Yes
    # wins proxy = Yes
    # wins support = Yes
    # ldap ssl = no
    # winbind enum groups = No
    # winbind use default domain = Yes
    # winbind nested groups = Yes
    # valid users = root
    # admin users = root
    # printer admin = root
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    load printers = yes
    # password server = *
    printing = cups

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

    [printers]
    browseable = no
    printable = yes
    # writeable = yes
    path = /var/spool/samba
    # write list = adm,root,@sys
    comment = All Printers
    # valid users = root,adm,@adm,@root,@sys
    # user = root,adm,@sys
    # public = yes
    guest ok = Yes
    use client driver = Yes

    [C98]
    path = /C98
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

    Whether you mount the shares manually or automatically this file still
    has to be properly set up.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:32:35 -0700, rob_mazur wrote:

    > New install of SuSE10.3 x64. Trying to mount some shares I have used for
    > years. Through YAST I have installed everything related to samba
    > straight from the install disc (DVD). When I run:
    >
    > green:/home/myname# /etc/init.d/rc5.d/S07smbfs restart
    >
    > Umount SMB/ CIFS File Systems
    > done
    > Mount CIFS File Systems from /etc/samba/smbfstab //host/share on
    > /home/myname/folder/folder type smbfs .mount: unknown filesystem type
    > 'smbfs'
    >
    > The line from my /etc/samba/smbfstab
    >
    > //host/share /home/myname/folder/folder smbfs
    > gid=users,fmask=0664,dmask=0775,username=myuser,pa ssword=mypass
    >

    > Man page and config file say that an available filetype is smbfs. What
    > else can I try/do?
    > Rob

    Suse have depreciated smbfs in favour of cifs. cifs is effectively the
    modern version of smbfs, so simply changing the connection type over
    works in *most* cases. However it won't work if you need to connect to
    an older Windows box (W9x I think) or an old Samba (v 2.x), as they only
    understand smbfs.

    We have a samba 2.x box at work, so I had to get smbfs support back into
    my machine (SUSE 10.2). The smbfs code in the SUSE supplied kernel
    source is broken, so I downloaded the equivalent kernel source from
    kernel.org. I then copied the smbfs code into my local kernel source and
    made the smbfs kernel module. I can now connect to our old samba box.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

  5. Re: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:13:23 +0000, David Bailey wrote:

    BTW, to OP - Seems I sort of misread your post. Sorry, my bad.

    > Suse have depreciated smbfs in favour of cifs. cifs is effectively the
    > modern version of smbfs, so simply changing the connection type over
    > works in *most* cases. However it won't work if you need to connect to
    > an older Windows box (W9x I think) or an old Samba (v 2.x), as they only
    > understand smbfs.

    > We have a samba 2.x box at work, so I had to get smbfs support back into
    > my machine (SUSE 10.2). The smbfs code in the SUSE supplied kernel
    > source is broken, so I downloaded the equivalent kernel source from
    > kernel.org. I then copied the smbfs code into my local kernel source and
    > made the smbfs kernel module. I can now connect to our old samba box.

    I'm wondering about something you might have tried. If I'm reading the
    kernel source code correctly there seem to be a few options that allow a
    module (something like disable module version checking) from another
    kernel to load. OTOH, I might be misinterpreting what I read.

    Do you know about this or perhaps have ever tried to use this feature?

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

+ Reply to Thread