misfortunes with rebooting - Suse

This is a discussion on misfortunes with rebooting - Suse ; Yesterday evening I got a bugreport. Somehow I was unable to retrieve the correct data from the HD I installed 11.0 on, so I did a shutdown, reconnected the cable that was loose and tried to reboot. The bugerror was ...

  1. misfortunes with rebooting

    Yesterday evening I got a bugreport. Somehow I was unable to retrieve
    the correct data from the HD I installed 11.0 on, so I did a shutdown,
    reconnected the cable that was loose and tried to reboot.
    The bugerror was about some strange things happening with grub and the
    fact I needed to do some manual changes.

    This did not work. The PC halted halfway during the boot, so I thought
    that it was due to HD issues. I did an fsck on all the drives and tried
    again. No 10.3

    This did not work, so I booted into 11.0 and saw that only / was
    available for booting 10.3. Nothing. It stopped telling me it was
    unable to recognise the init.

    So next I tried booting with changing parameters on the commandline for
    grub. Nothing. Repair of the installed system? Nope. Next a new 10.3
    instalation, wiping out the 11.0 instalation.

    Well, the new one worked, the old one didn't. It took me some serious
    time to figure out which HD to use, so I would wip out the coorect one.
    So in 10.0 new I did a fsck again on all drives and it found some
    things, yet still zilch.

    At 02:00 or so I went to sleep, frustrated because I was not able to get
    the old system up and I did not yet want to start the restore. Dang!
    This morning I woke up and tried again. I saw that a line up it told me
    something about /etc/init.d/boot.local and then it came back to me:

    I had added the lines as follows:
    # Signature
    sudo -u houghi /usr/local/bin/amarok.sig.run

    Obviously this was wrong. It needed a ` &` added at the end, making it:
    # Signature
    sudo -u houghi /usr/local/bin/amarok.sig.run &

    Commenting it out gave me a working machine. I have not yet tried it,
    but I am sure that is the solution. :-D Wated several hours for a
    missing &. LOL.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  2. Re: misfortunes with rebooting

    On Apr 11, 7:32*am, houghi wrote:
    > Yesterday evening I got a bugreport. Somehow I was unable to retrieve
    > the correct data from the HD I installed 11.0 on, so I did a shutdown,
    > reconnected the cable that was loose and tried to reboot.
    > The bugerror was about some strange things happening with grub and the
    > fact I needed to do some manual changes.
    >
    > This did not work. The PC halted halfway during the boot, so I thought
    > that it was due to HD issues. I did an fsck on all the drives and tried
    > again. No 10.3
    >
    > This did not work, so I booted into 11.0 and saw that only / was
    > available for booting 10.3. Nothing. It stopped telling me it was
    > unable to recognise the init.
    >
    > So next I tried booting with changing parameters on the commandline for
    > grub. Nothing. Repair of the installed system? Nope. Next a new 10.3
    > instalation, wiping out the 11.0 instalation.
    >
    > Well, the new one worked, the old one didn't. It took me some serious
    > time to figure out which HD to use, so I would wip out the coorect one.
    > So in 10.0 new I did a fsck again on all drives and it found some
    > things, yet still zilch.
    >
    > At 02:00 or so I went to sleep, frustrated because I was not able to get
    > the old system up and I did not yet want to start the restore. Dang!
    > This morning I woke up and tried again. I saw that a line up it told me
    > something about /etc/init.d/boot.local and then it came back to me:
    >
    > I had added the lines as follows:
    > # Signature
    > sudo -u houghi /usr/local/bin/amarok.sig.run
    >
    > Obviously this was wrong. It needed a ` &` added at the end, making it:
    > # Signature
    > sudo -u houghi /usr/local/bin/amarok.sig.run &
    >
    > Commenting it out gave me a working machine. I have not yet tried it,
    > but I am sure that is the solution. :-D Wated several hours for a
    > missing &. LOL.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > You can have my keyboard ...
    > * * * * * * * * * * * if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

    It's like my momma always said, "At 2 in the morning, stupid is as
    stupid does." What is your impression of 11 so far?

+ Reply to Thread