Blank screen at startup - Suse

This is a discussion on Blank screen at startup - Suse ; Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible ...

  1. Blank screen at startup

    Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    behavior.

    Thanks...

    ....Kevin
    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

  2. Re: Blank screen at startup

    Hi Kevin,

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:40:49 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

    > Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    > screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    > else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    > behavior.

    This seems to be the same behaviour I mentioned in "Powersave problem
    during bootup". I just checked my machine, and pressing a key switches
    the monitor on just the same as moving the mouse. Does moving the mouse
    bring your screen to life ?

    Sorry I can't help with the solution, but it will be interesting to see if
    we both have the same problem.

    BTW - which version of openSUSE are you running ?

    Cheers

    Paul (W)

  3. Re: Blank screen at startup

    Kevin Miller wrote:

    > Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    > screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    > else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    > behavior.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >

    > ...Kevin

    Hi,
    I can (have to) report the same behaviour of my openSuSE10.3 system running
    latest kde3.
    It occurs at estimated 90% of the bootups. A keystroke or mouse motion
    brings the screen to life. Interesting to read that others observe the
    same. Thought it was specific to my machine, since it does not occur on my
    wifes openSuSE10.2 with also latest kde3 installed. I can exclude any
    misconfiguration of Xorg, 'cause I haven't messed with it for quite some
    time.

    greetz

    <°)>><

  4. Re: Blank screen at startup

    Kevin Miller wrote:

    > Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    > screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    > else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    > behavior.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >

    > ...Kevin

    Sounds like your clock is being set, or corrected, which makes the
    screensaver (or powersave) think x minutes have past. Where x being some
    time limit. Therefore, the screensaver (or powersave) needs to blank the
    screen. When you boot check your clock? You can also boot into runlevel 3
    by typing '3' without quotes in grub. Then issue the date command and see
    if the time is right?

    Do you have ntp set to start up on boot? If not, set it in Yast->Network
    Services->NTP. Tell it to pick a server from ntp. I think it's
    called "Random server from ntp.org pool" or something to that affect?

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: Blank screen at startup

    paul williamson wrote:
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:40:49 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    >> screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    >> else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    >> behavior.

    > This seems to be the same behaviour I mentioned in "Powersave problem
    > during bootup". I just checked my machine, and pressing a key switches
    > the monitor on just the same as moving the mouse. Does moving the mouse
    > bring your screen to life ?
    >
    > Sorry I can't help with the solution, but it will be interesting to see if
    > we both have the same problem.
    >
    > BTW - which version of openSUSE are you running ?

    10.3. Pressing a key does bring it to life, and I think the mouse does
    as well but don't recall specifically testing that.

    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
    Juneau, Alaska
    Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org

  6. Re: Blank screen at startup

    Chris wrote:
    > Kevin Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    >> screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    >> else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    >> behavior.
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>

    >> ...Kevin

    > Sounds like your clock is being set, or corrected, which makes the
    > screensaver (or powersave) think x minutes have past. Where x being some
    > time limit. Therefore, the screensaver (or powersave) needs to blank the
    > screen. When you boot check your clock? You can also boot into runlevel 3
    > by typing '3' without quotes in grub. Then issue the date command and see
    > if the time is right?
    >
    > Do you have ntp set to start up on boot? If not, set it in Yast->Network
    > Services->NTP. Tell it to pick a server from ntp. I think it's
    > called "Random server from ntp.org pool" or something to that affect?

    Hmmm - that's an interesting thought. I do load NTP at boot, but I use
    my ISP's time server. Figure it's the closest one to me. I'll boot to
    runlevel 3 and see what it says tomorrow.

    It's been doing it for a week or so - not sure the exact time it
    started. I'm wondering if it's has to do with the old daylight savings
    time change. I think that would have occured on the 6th of April if not
    for the change to an earlier date.

    ....Kevin
    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
    Juneau, Alaska
    Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org

  7. Re: Blank screen at startup

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:56:45 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> Kevin Miller wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not sure what changed, but now when I turn on my computer, the startup
    >>> screen is black until I hit a key, i.e., the KDM login screen. Anybody
    >>> else seeing that? Where do I set it back to normal, visible by default,
    >>> behavior.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks...
    >>>

    >>> ...Kevin

    >> Sounds like your clock is being set, or corrected, which makes the
    >> screensaver (or powersave) think x minutes have past. Where x being some
    >> time limit. Therefore, the screensaver (or powersave) needs to blank the
    >> screen. When you boot check your clock? You can also boot into runlevel 3
    >> by typing '3' without quotes in grub. Then issue the date command and see
    >> if the time is right?
    >>
    >> Do you have ntp set to start up on boot? If not, set it in Yast->Network
    >> Services->NTP. Tell it to pick a server from ntp. I think it's
    >> called "Random server from ntp.org pool" or something to that affect?
    >>

    > Hmmm - that's an interesting thought. I do load NTP at boot, but I use
    > my ISP's time server. Figure it's the closest one to me. I'll boot to
    > runlevel 3 and see what it says tomorrow.

    I am fairly certain this problem started for me before the change to
    "summer time" (as we call it in the uk).

    I tried changing my ntp server, but that made not difference. I have now
    told the ntp server not to start up during booting, and the machine now
    boots properly, so it looks as though this may well be connected to the
    ntp setup, as Chris suggested.

    What is not clear, is what caused the problem to start in the first place.
    I mentioned that it doesn't happen in my 10.2 set-up, and I have noticed
    another difference as well. In 10.2, when I do a test of the ntp server
    in Yast, it just works fine without any loss of picture.

    When I do that same test in 10.3, the screen goes black for a while,
    then the desktop re-appears and shows the "server is reachable" message.

    When my monitor switches off during booting, it seems to think that there
    was no signal for a while, so maybe that blackness during the ntp setting
    happens during booting and fools the monitor into thinkling the signal has
    gone away.

    Does anyone know why this difference of behaviour between 10.2 and 10.3 ?
    I have the Nvidia beta driver loaded for 10.2 and a different Nvidia
    driver in use for 10.3 - could that make a difference ?

    Paul (W)

+ Reply to Thread