kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator - Suse

This is a discussion on kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator - Suse ; Hello all, Anyone else notice that the gtk-window-decorator is much more responsive than the kde-window-decorator - in KDE!? I have setup compiz-fusion on my system (AMD 64x2 6000+ with nVidia 8600 GT). I painstakingly force compiz-fusion's settings manager (ccsm) to ...

  1. kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator

    Hello all,

    Anyone else notice that the gtk-window-decorator is much more responsive
    than the kde-window-decorator - in KDE!?

    I have setup compiz-fusion on my system (AMD 64x2 6000+ with nVidia 8600
    GT). I painstakingly force compiz-fusion's settings manager (ccsm) to use
    kde-window-decorator. However, I find it laggy - very slow. So, I decided
    to try the gtk-window-decorator and I was surprised at how much more
    responsive and stable it was compared to the kde-window-decorator. And this
    is under KDE! Anyone else notice this as well?

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator

    Chris schrieb:
    >Anyone else notice this as well?

    take a look to "Compiz-Fusion-Icon".
    Its more helpfull.

    Tried emerald too?

    Arno

    --
    Früher oder später emulieren wir euch..........
    __

  3. Re: kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator

    Arno Lutz wrote:

    > Chris schrieb:
    >>Anyone else notice this as well?

    > take a look to "Compiz-Fusion-Icon".
    > Its more helpfull.
    >
    > Tried emerald too?
    >

    > Arno

    I have the fusion icon installed. I ended up going back to the
    kde-window-decorator. I uninstalled the gtk and emerald one. I didn't like
    how the look 'n feel wasnt consistent with KDE (rightly so though).

    One strange this is that kde-window-decorator starts up with only --replace.
    I need --opacity 1.0 because the decoration becomes invisible and corrupted
    with any alpha blending is applied. So, I edited the Default.ini by hand
    using vi and added the --opacity option.

    However, each time I log in (reboot or otherwise), the --opacity setting
    disappears. So, I had to make ~/.config/compiz/compizmanager/Default.ini
    read-only.

    Now the problem is that when I login in, kde-window-decorator still doesn't
    have the right settings. But if I right-click on the fusion icon and select
    Restart Window Manager, everything is ok.

    I'm not sure where which file is being read for the initial launch of
    kde-window-decorator.

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator

    Chris wrote:

    > Now the problem is that when I login in, kde-window-decorator still
    > doesn't have the right settings. But if I right-click on the fusion icon
    > and select Restart Window Manager, everything is ok.
    >
    > I'm not sure where which file is being read for the initial launch of
    > kde-window-decorator.

    In case someone else would like to know, the kde-window-decorator is being
    initially started by the script /usr/bin/compiz-manager.

    I added the "--opacity 1.0" to the "kde-window-decorator --replace" line in
    that script and now kde-window-decorator starts up perfectly. No need to
    issue fusion icon->Reload Window Manager.

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator

    Chris wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Now the problem is that when I login in, kde-window-decorator still
    >> doesn't have the right settings. But if I right-click on the fusion icon
    >> and select Restart Window Manager, everything is ok.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure where which file is being read for the initial launch of
    >> kde-window-decorator.

    > In case someone else would like to know, the kde-window-decorator is being
    > initially started by the script /usr/bin/compiz-manager.
    >
    > I added the "--opacity 1.0" to the "kde-window-decorator --replace" line
    > in that script and now kde-window-decorator starts up perfectly. No need
    > to issue fusion icon->Reload Window Manager.

    Well, after all the digging I did, I realised that my system was not setup
    right. I had compiz-manager RPM installed which gives the compiz-manager
    script. However, this RPM is not needed when the fusion-icon is installed.
    So I uninstalled the compiz-manager RPM and in ~/.kde/Autostart I added a
    symlink to /usr/bin/fusion-icon and everything works as it should. The
    kde-window-decorator is started using the ccsm Window Decorator settings.

    Sorry for all this noise!
    --
    Chris

  6. Re: kde-window-decorator vs gtk-window-decorator

    Chris wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now the problem is that when I login in, kde-window-decorator still
    >>> doesn't have the right settings. But if I right-click on the fusion icon
    >>> and select Restart Window Manager, everything is ok.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure where which file is being read for the initial launch of
    >>> kde-window-decorator.

    >> In case someone else would like to know, the kde-window-decorator is
    >> being initially started by the script /usr/bin/compiz-manager.
    >>
    >> I added the "--opacity 1.0" to the "kde-window-decorator --replace" line
    >> in that script and now kde-window-decorator starts up perfectly. No need
    >> to issue fusion icon->Reload Window Manager.
    >>

    > Well, after all the digging I did, I realised that my system was not setup
    > right. I had compiz-manager RPM installed which gives the compiz-manager
    > script. However, this RPM is not needed when the fusion-icon is installed.
    > So I uninstalled the compiz-manager RPM and in ~/.kde/Autostart I added a
    > symlink to /usr/bin/fusion-icon and everything works as it should. The
    > kde-window-decorator is started using the ccsm Window Decorator settings.
    >
    > Sorry for all this noise!

    Noise is how we all learn. Your escapade serves as a guide for others in
    similar circumstances. And you won't be the last to make the same
    mistakes.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com