Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP - Suse ; Well for some reason 10.2 wouldn't work and sometime back I installed 10.1, which I really didn't use much. Slackware is my preferred distro but I need a front end to transcode (too complicated for me) and DVD::RIP seems to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

  1. Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Well for some reason 10.2 wouldn't work and sometime back I installed
    10.1, which I really didn't use much. Slackware is my preferred distro
    but I need a front end to transcode (too complicated for me) and
    DVD::RIP seems to be very popular.

    Problem is it requires Gnome and Slack no longer does Gnome. There's
    Gware but the short story is that DVD::RIP fails to compile and something
    it's looking for in Perl is not doing the job.

    I tried to convert OSuse KDE 10.1 to Gnome and that wouldn't work for me.
    When I decided to try 10.3 I see they are two install disks, one for KDE
    and one for Gnome so maybe that's why that failed so I wasted some time;
    OTOH, it forced me to install 10.3 which installed without a hitch,
    perfectly.

    Well done!

    All I intend to use this for is DVD ripping, encoding and mastering.
    This is one time with a Linux I prefer precompiled packages (I like
    using the Source, Obiwan). Reason why is this stuff is a train wreck
    even in windoze. I must of tried 15 doze applications before I found 4 to
    use and sometimes I have to encode/transcode the same avi file twice as
    no one application is complete enough to perform all the tasks I need
    done.

    Having said that I rather avoid testing 15 more applications again. So
    this time I'll play n00b and just yast the apps.

    So is there a repository(s) that someone might suggest to add. I know
    where to get DVD::RIP (one of the Packman repositories) but anyone got
    a time saving suggestion for which one might be best for what I'll need
    - Lots of Video related apps, binaries and libs?

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On 2008-04-08, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Well for some reason 10.2 wouldn't work and sometime back I installed
    > 10.1, which I really didn't use much. Slackware is my preferred distro
    > but I need a front end to transcode (too complicated for me) and
    > DVD::RIP seems to be very popular.
    >
    > Problem is it requires Gnome and Slack no longer does Gnome. There's
    > Gware but the short story is that DVD::RIP fails to compile and something
    > it's looking for in Perl is not doing the job.
    >
    > I tried to convert OSuse KDE 10.1 to Gnome and that wouldn't work for me.
    > When I decided to try 10.3 I see they are two install disks, one for KDE
    > and one for Gnome so maybe that's why that failed so I wasted some time;
    > OTOH, it forced me to install 10.3 which installed without a hitch,
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Well done!
    >
    > All I intend to use this for is DVD ripping, encoding and mastering.
    > This is one time with a Linux I prefer precompiled packages (I like
    > using the Source, Obiwan). Reason why is this stuff is a train wreck
    > even in windoze. I must of tried 15 doze applications before I found 4 to
    > use and sometimes I have to encode/transcode the same avi file twice as
    > no one application is complete enough to perform all the tasks I need
    > done.
    >
    > Having said that I rather avoid testing 15 more applications again. So
    > this time I'll play n00b and just yast the apps.
    >
    > So is there a repository(s) that someone might suggest to add. I know
    > where to get DVD::RIP (one of the Packman repositories) but anyone got
    > a time saving suggestion for which one might be best for what I'll need
    > - Lots of Video related apps, binaries and libs?

    You didn't know that gnome apps run just fine in KDE?

    When you install an app it pulls the dependencies and it's just fine.

    I have DVD:RIP installed and working fine. I have the normal repos:
    The 10.3 distribution ones and the normal packman
    http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.3/

    Just use the ones YaST suggests.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  3. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Well for some reason 10.2 wouldn't work and sometime back I installed
    > 10.1, which I really didn't use much. Slackware is my preferred distro
    > but I need a front end to transcode (too complicated for me) and
    > DVD::RIP seems to be very popular.
    >
    > Problem is it requires Gnome and Slack no longer does Gnome. There's
    > Gware but the short story is that DVD::RIP fails to compile and something
    > it's looking for in Perl is not doing the job.
    >
    > I tried to convert OSuse KDE 10.1 to Gnome and that wouldn't work for me.
    > When I decided to try 10.3 I see they are two install disks, one for KDE
    > and one for Gnome so maybe that's why that failed so I wasted some time;
    > OTOH, it forced me to install 10.3 which installed without a hitch,
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Well done!
    >
    > All I intend to use this for is DVD ripping, encoding and mastering.
    > This is one time with a Linux I prefer precompiled packages (I like
    > using the Source, Obiwan). Reason why is this stuff is a train wreck
    > even in windoze. I must of tried 15 doze applications before I found 4 to
    > use and sometimes I have to encode/transcode the same avi file twice as
    > no one application is complete enough to perform all the tasks I need
    > done.
    >
    > Having said that I rather avoid testing 15 more applications again. So
    > this time I'll play n00b and just yast the apps.
    >
    > So is there a repository(s) that someone might suggest to add. I know
    > where to get DVD::RIP (one of the Packman repositories) but anyone got
    > a time saving suggestion for which one might be best for what I'll need
    > - Lots of Video related apps, binaries and libs?

    one click? if you are using openSUSE 10.3 ;-)
    http://packman.links2linux.org/install/dvdrip

    or add packman in you softwaresources
    yast - software - softwaresources
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...arebronnen.png

    but like Vahis said, gnome and KDE apps can run in gnome & KDE desktop.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Vahis wrote:
    > You didn't know that gnome apps run just fine in KDE?

    I use neither and run apps from both.

    > When you install an app it pulls the dependencies and it's just fine.

    I start to use the 1-click install more and more.

    > I have DVD:RIP installed and working fine. I have the normal repos:
    > The 10.3 distribution ones and the normal packman
    > http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/10.3/
    >
    > Just use the ones YaST suggests.

    For the lazy people there is the 1-click install:
    http://packages.opensuse-community.o...o=openSUSE_103
    It will add the repo as well as install the software and everything it
    needs.

    That also does not bother _MY_ traffic in Belgium. :-D

    houghi
    | Artist : 4 Promille
    | Song : last mich doch in ruhe
    | Album : Im Naechsten leben

  5. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:12:04 +0200, EOS wrote:

    > or add packman in you softwaresources
    > yast - software - softwaresources
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...arebronnen.png

    Done this way (actually used . Had to add mplayer, rar and a few other
    things anyway. Actually much faster and easier was...

    zypper sa

    Now I can go play UT2004 rather than...

    > but like Vahis said, gnome and KDE apps can run in gnome & KDE desktop.

    Fooling around with that. Too much trouble. Anyway my purpose was to
    have a Gnome desktop for those few gnome-centric apps. I much prefer KDE.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  6. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Now I can go play UT2004 rather than...
    >
    >> but like Vahis said, gnome and KDE apps can run in gnome & KDE desktop.

    > Fooling around with that. Too much trouble. Anyway my purpose was to
    > have a Gnome desktop for those few gnome-centric apps. I much prefer KDE.

    Uh? Fooling around? What fooling around? Where are you fooling around.
    You install it and run it. e.g. instal gqview by going here:
    http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/ope...ard/gqview.ymp

    And then run it. Hardly 'Fooling around'.

    houghi
    | Artist : Björk
    | Song : Öll Birtan
    | Album : Medulla

  7. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Well for some reason 10.2 wouldn't work and sometime back I installed
    > 10.1, which I really didn't use much. Slackware is my preferred distro
    > but I need a front end to transcode (too complicated for me) and
    > DVD::RIP seems to be very popular.

    Well... I recommend something even simpler (and faster)
    (I used to use DVD::rip/transcode)

    mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    (replace dvd://1 with whatever is appropriate, but that
    works in general).

    That's a single pass rip with excellent results....

    If you have libdvdcss2 installed, that should give you
    an unencrypted single file mpeg 2 file.

    Then I use mencoder to take the original mpeg2 to other
    formats.

    For example, for my Cowon A2 or Archos 504:

    mencoder video.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4
    -ffourcc DIVX -vf scale -zoom -xy 480 -vf-add
    crop=480:272 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
    -o video.avi

    Do you know what all tasks you are needing in doing
    your encodings?

  8. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:33:46 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> Now I can go play UT2004 rather than...

    >>> but like Vahis said, gnome and KDE apps can run in gnome & KDE desktop.

    >> Fooling around with that. Too much trouble. Anyway my purpose was to
    >> have a Gnome desktop for those few gnome-centric apps. I much prefer KDE.

    > Uh? Fooling around? What fooling around? Where are you fooling around.
    > You install it and run it. e.g. instal gqview by going here:
    > http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/ope...ard/gqview.ymp

    > And then run it. Hardly 'Fooling around'.

    You know you're thick head never changes. Get over it, dude - People do
    things different ways and from what you post you're experience is
    hardly to the level to challenge the way I do things.

    I've worked with this on several diostros and my conclusion is for what
    I want to do I don't want to mix KDE and Gnome.

    Those aren't big words. What part of that do you not understand?

    You are one more wasted post from the permanent killfile.

    Is English a second language for you or something? "Fooling around" is a
    colloquialism meaning "not wanting to spend time on" and in this case
    meaning that approach.

    This is the last damn time I gonna translate anything for you. Learn to
    communicate effectively or STFU.

    Now for those who aren't anal retentive, I was gonna say 10.3 was one of
    the better distros I've installed lately but blockhead is rapidly
    ruining the experience.

    Geez...

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  9. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:03:55 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    > Well... I recommend something even simpler (and faster)
    > (I used to use DVD::rip/transcode)

    I agree this is ultimately the fastest and best way as these things are
    just front ends to command line tools.

    > mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    > (replace dvd://1 with whatever is appropriate, but that
    > works in general).

    > That's a single pass rip with excellent results....

    > If you have libdvdcss2 installed, that should give you
    > an unencrypted single file mpeg 2 file.

    > Then I use mencoder to take the original mpeg2 to other
    > formats.

    > mencoder video.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4
    > -ffourcc DIVX -vf scale -zoom -xy 480 -vf-add
    > crop=480:272 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
    > -o video.avi

    > Do you know what all tasks you are needing in doing
    > your encodings?

    Here's where it gets complicated. I'm collecting avi's of a number of
    things like TV series etc via bittorrent. In general I need to know a
    bit about the source file to encode, transcode and master the source
    file.

    Problem is the source files method of creation and parameters are often
    not known so I need an interrogatory of the source file.

    At the same time I've only being doing this about 6 months and there is
    a lot to learn. I'm producing some quality stuff using W2K software but
    you know I hate to reboot and besides the OS does not multitask nearly
    as well.

    I've had glitches like one software app won't write a DVD-R properly but
    will a DVD+R.

    So I needed to skip all the overall gnome/different distro crap/ and
    get right on being able to encode and analyze my input/output
    parameters' results so as to be able to attack the problem efficiently
    and quickly.

    As you know I'm sure it generally takes 1 minute of encoding for 1
    minute of video file so a lot of failed 90 minute sessions get real
    depressing.

    So...Just like you can examine the output of a KDE log file to see what
    comman line syntax they used to active it's back end I hope to be able
    to learn the same with the command line for these video tasks.

    Or heck maybe I'll fall in love with DVD::RIP. I'm ready to go tomorrow
    on a test project. I have mplayer and all the other helper apps installed
    plus my Nvidia drivers and the desktop configured.

    Hey, that last paragraph there, that went real smooth for the Suse part
    of it all. Getting it to install lilo in the root was a little tricky
    and still can't find a rpm for my favorite CLI editor jed. Kate will do
    for now under X.

    For right now it's all good considering I got basic Suse installed from
    CD, finished the CD stuff about 9PM last night.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  10. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > I've worked with this on several diostros and my conclusion is for what
    > I want to do I don't want to mix KDE and Gnome.

    why not working then with k3b? (or another kde app)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 10.3

  11. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    >>> Fooling around with that. Too much trouble. Anyway my purpose was to
    >>> have a Gnome desktop for those few gnome-centric apps. I much prefer KDE.

    >> Uh? Fooling around? What fooling around? Where are you fooling around.
    >> You install it and run it. e.g. instal gqview by going here:
    >> http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/ope...ard/gqview.ymp

    >> And then run it. Hardly 'Fooling around'.

    > You know you're thick head never changes. Get over it, dude - People do
    > things different ways and from what you post you're experience is
    > hardly to the level to challenge the way I do things.

    That is great.

    > I've worked with this on several diostros and my conclusion is for what
    > I want to do I don't want to mix KDE and Gnome.

    That is something else then you said before. You said you needed to fool
    around and that is not the case.

    > Those aren't big words. What part of that do you not understand?

    The part where you did state that you needed to fool around, yet actualy
    ment that you did not want to use GNOME and KDE together,

    Also the way you wrote it could seem to many people that it was
    impossible or hard to let the two work together.

    Oh and thanks for the namecalling.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Dangerous Kitchen
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1

  12. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Hey, that last paragraph there, that went real smooth for the Suse part
    > of it all. Getting it to install lilo in the root was a little tricky
    > and still can't find a rpm for my favorite CLI editor jed. Kate will do
    > for now under X.

    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...E%3A10.3&q=jed

    Mmm. Isn't Kate a KDE program? And here I sat and thought you did not
    want to fool around to install KDE applications.
    Must be my lack of understanding English.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Babbette
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1

  13. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:42:42 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Here's where it gets complicated. I'm collecting avi's of a number of
    > things like TV series etc via bittorrent. In general I need to know a
    > bit about the source file to encode, transcode and master the source
    > file.
    >
    > Problem is the source files method of creation and parameters are often
    > not known so I need an interrogatory of the source file.

    Ffmpeg is pretty sharp at analysing source videos and identifying the
    component streams.

  14. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    just used the above command to rip a pal dvd and i got the output below
    and yes it did work. file was 4.8Gb

    There are 18 titles on this DVD.
    There are 17 chapters in this DVD title.
    There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
    audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 129.
    audio stream: 2 format: ac3 (5.1) language: fr aid: 130.
    number of audio channels on disk: 3.
    subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
    subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
    subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: fr
    subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: nl
    subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: ar
    subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: hi
    subtitle ( sid ): 6 language: fr
    number of subtitles on disk: 7

    > mencoder video.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4
    > -ffourcc DIVX -vf scale -zoom -xy 480 -vf-add
    > crop=480:272 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
    > -o video.avi

    then i use the above command and yes it does work but the Avi file comes out
    in french i have googled to find out what needs to be changed but i can't
    find the answer any help would be helpful.

  15. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Darklight wrote:

    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >

    >> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    > just used the above command to rip a pal dvd and i got the output below
    > and yes it did work. file was 4.8Gb

    owe when you use the above command is there a way to reduce the size of the
    output file this is the first time i am really gettin to use the command
    line so a lot to learn

    > There are 18 titles on this DVD.
    > There are 17 chapters in this DVD title.
    > There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    > audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
    > audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 129.
    > audio stream: 2 format: ac3 (5.1) language: fr aid: 130.
    > number of audio channels on disk: 3.
    > subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
    > subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
    > subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: fr
    > subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: nl
    > subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: ar
    > subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: hi
    > subtitle ( sid ): 6 language: fr
    > number of subtitles on disk: 7
    >

    >> mencoder video.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4
    >> -ffourcc DIVX -vf scale -zoom -xy 480 -vf-add
    >> crop=480:272 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
    >> -o video.avi

    > then i use the above command and yes it does work but the Avi file comes
    > out in french i have googled to find out what needs to be changed but i
    > can't find the answer any help would be helpful.

  16. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:03:55 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    >> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    >> (replace dvd://1 with whatever is appropriate, but that
    >> works in general).

    >> That's a single pass rip with excellent results....

    When ripping from a DVD, that's the first step that I use as well.

    >> Then I use mencoder to take the original mpeg2 to other
    >> formats.

    >> mencoder video.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4
    >> -ffourcc DIVX -vf scale -zoom -xy 480 -vf-add
    >> crop=480:272 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
    >> -o video.avi

    However, I don't use mencoder to transcode to and xvid. After doing a
    few test runs converting streams ripped from a DVD using mencoder and
    FFmpeg, with as close to identical settings as possible, my times always
    showed mencoder to be about a third of the speed of FFmpeg with the same
    output quality.

    >> Do you know what all tasks you are needing in doing
    >> your encodings?

    >Here's where it gets complicated. I'm collecting avi's of a number of
    >things like TV series etc via bittorrent. In general I need to know a
    >bit about the source file to encode, transcode and master the source
    >file.

    Let me guess, so you can recreate a DVD of the episodes?

    >Problem is the source files method of creation and parameters are often
    >not known so I need an interrogatory of the source file.

    My method is to use FFmpeg again:

    FFmpeg -i

    returns quite a bit of useful info. E.g.

    davjam@playing:/media/xfs-test/videos> ffmpeg -i "1207181177 136798 Christmas fun.xvid.avi"
    FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --arch=x86_64 --cpu=athlon64 --enable-pthreads
    --enable-shared --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-liba52 --
    enable-swscale --enable-postproc --enable-gpl --enable-vhook --enable-x11grab --enable-libgsm --enable-libx264
    libavutil version: 49.6.0
    libavcodec version: 51.54.0
    libavformat version: 52.13.0
    libavdevice version: 52.0.0
    built on Apr 8 2008 19:48:03, gcc: 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)

    Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 30000.00 (30000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
    Input #0, avi, from '1207181177 136798 Christmas fun.xvid.avi':
    Duration: 00:30:25.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1048 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 320x240 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 29.97 tb(r)
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s
    Must supply at least one output file

    >So I needed to skip all the overall gnome/different distro crap/ and
    >get right on being able to encode and analyze my input/output
    >parameters' results so as to be able to attack the problem efficiently
    >and quickly.

    Then you need to use a quicker transcoder.

    >As you know I'm sure it generally takes 1 minute of encoding for 1
    >minute of video file so a lot of failed 90 minute sessions get real
    >depressing.

    I would be depressed if I was only able to transcode at that rate.

    >So...Just like you can examine the output of a KDE log file to see what
    >comman line syntax they used to active it's back end I hope to be able
    >to learn the same with the command line for these video tasks.

    Command line is easy. For transcoding to xvid I use a script that uses
    this basic command:

    ffmpeg \
    -threads 2 \
    -i "${MOVIE}" \
    -ac 2 \
    -ar 44100 \
    -ab 128k \
    -acodec libmp3lame \
    -vcodec mpeg4 \
    -vtag xvid \
    ${BITRATE} \
    -y \
    "${OUTDIR}/${IN}.xvid.avi" || break

    ${BITRATE} is either user-specified, in which case the option becomes:

    -b

    or left as a default of:

    -sameq

    which tells FFmpeg to use the same quantizer for each frame of the
    output stream as was used in the input stream. The other options give me
    a 2-channel audio stream with a sample rate of 44.1KHz and encoded using
    LAME with a bitrate of 128kbps. The '-y' tells FFmpeg that it can
    overwrite the output file, if one already exists, and the '-threads 2'
    tells it to use 2 threads[0].

    For transcoding to a DVD-compatible MPEG stream I use:

    ffmpeg \
    -threads 2 \
    -i "${MOVIE}" \
    -target pal-dvd \
    -acodec mp2 \
    -ab 224k \
    -ac 2 \
    -y \
    "${OUTDIR}/${IN}.xvid.avi" || break

    In this case, FFmpeg uses a target specification for a PAL DVD, 720x576,
    25fps, a bitrate of 6Mbps, ac3 audio. I then use the -acodec option to
    change the audio codec to mp2, the bitrate to 224kbps and 2 channels.

    Also, to speed things up as much as possible, I try to always have the
    source and destination files on separate physical drives, and preferably
    on different controllers.

    >Hey, that last paragraph there, that went real smooth for the Suse part
    >of it all. Getting it to install lilo in the root was a little tricky
    >and still can't find a rpm for my favorite CLI editor jed. Kate will do
    >for now under X.

    Are you talking about jedit, the Java-based editor or jed? Both come up
    in a software search:

    [0] I don't know if the Packman version has threading support compiled
    in, but the one I build does. For a dual core system, it will speed up
    the transcoding a bit. One quick test[1] had the encoding frame rate go
    from 101fps to 121fps, which dropped the transcoding time down from 2:28
    to 2:03. Not a large drop there, but for a stream that takes 30 minutes
    to transcode, it can shave off about 5 minutes.

    [1] using a system with an AMD X2 4200+ processor, and running openSUSE
    10.2 64bit.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  17. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    David Bolt wrote:
    > When ripping from a DVD, that's the first step that I use as well.

    To get the ripped content of a DVD I launch a torrent. ;-)

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Filthy Habits
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 4

  18. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> When ripping from a DVD, that's the first step that I use as well.

    >To get the ripped content of a DVD I launch a torrent. ;-)

    Why bother using a torrent when I've already got the DVD, or know
    someone I can borrow from? Now, for those DVDs I don't have and/or can't
    borrow...

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  19. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:57:48 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    >>To get the ripped content of a DVD I launch a torrent. ;-)

    > Why bother using a torrent when I've already got the DVD, or know
    > someone I can borrow from? Now, for those DVDs I don't have and/or can't
    > borrow...

    In some cases I'll have the DVD and in some cases I'll have a torrent.
    The goal is to create a DVD. My first step to building my "set" of tools
    was to get dvdrip going. Hopefully I'll build on that for the other
    tools.

    Having said that I kept running into too many apps that required a Gnome
    enviroment so that is why I'm at where I'm at.

    BTW, thanx for the tips. They are going in the tips directory.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  20. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:59:20 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> Hey, that last paragraph there, that went real smooth for the Suse
    >> part

    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...E%3A10.3&q=jed

    > Mmm. Isn't Kate a KDE program? And here I sat and thought you did not
    > want to fool around to install KDE applications.
    > Must be my lack of understanding English.

    Konsole and Kate are two exceptions I'll make due to the fact they
    require a minimal set of libs to run.