Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP - Suse ; On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Darklight wrote:- >Darklight wrote: > >> Chris Cox wrote: >> >> >>> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1 >> >> just used the above command to rip a pal dvd and i got the output below ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

  1. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Darklight wrote:-

    >Darklight wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Cox wrote:
    >>

    >>> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    >> just used the above command to rip a pal dvd and i got the output below
    >> and yes it did work. file was 4.8Gb

    >owe when you use the above command is there a way to reduce the size of the
    >output file this is the first time i am really gettin to use the command
    >line so a lot to learn

    Passing it through a FIFO should cut out that large file:

    mkfifo video.mpg
    ffmpeg -i video.mpeg -threads 2 -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 128k -acodec libmp3lame -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid -sameq ripped-stream.xvid.avi mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile - dvd://1 >video.mpg

    Which will give you an xvid AVI with an mp3 audio stream taken from the
    first audio stream. By replacing the:

    -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 128k -acodec libmp3lame

    with:

    -acodec copy

    you get the 5.1 ac3 audio stream instead of a stereo mp3 stream.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  2. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:45:30 +0200, EOS wrote:

    >> I've worked with this on several distros and my conclusion is for what
    >> I want to do I don't want to mix KDE and Gnome.

    > why not working then with k3b? (or another kde app)

    K3B does do some stuff OK but seems to have a few bugs. Also it won't
    author and doesn't give you the kind of control you may need.

    One I've noticed is that it doesn't get along as well with DVD-R(W) as
    it does DVD+R(W) and I always make a test burn first. I've actually had
    it ruin some DVD-RW's rendering them unreadable albeit was Ritech blanks
    which are crap that I was suckered into buying. They were rebranded as
    Maxell blanks. Perhaps it was the media. I know that using good media
    is very important and always try to but I've run into similar oddities
    even using doze apps.

    Also I really need more than just DVDRIP under Linux. But this is a first
    step. Next up is to get a nice mastering app.

    I'm quite happy with the results I get under doze but being a Linux
    zealot you know it kills me to have to boot windoze to get tasks done.
    The only upside is that I can play Chessmaster to pass the time as the
    the work is being done.

    This is time consuming stuff and it keeps 2 PC's occupied pretty much
    all day. I'm doing a lot of this now because I intend to dump cable as a
    sort of protest - It costs me $50/month and there are only 5 channels I
    really watch not over the air. IMO, that's a rip off. So I'm amassing a
    library of favorite TV series ("House", "South Park", "Star Trek", etc)
    and intend to switch back to antennae. The DVD's will be for times when
    there is nothing of interest on the air.

    BTW, the DivX capable Home DVD players are great. I can put 14 45 minute
    long episodes of House on one single layer DVD. That's equivalent to 10.5
    hours on a single layer DVD and you burn the avi's straight to DVD as
    data. Only thing is you won't get DD that way but if your receiver has
    Dolby Pro Logic II or better the sound track is fine for that type of
    video (actually great).

    Certain things with the awesome sound tracks like "Saving Private Ryan"
    I prefer to go ahead and burn as a traditional DVD-Video so as to get
    the DD 6.1 surround.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:02:01 +0100, Darklight wrote:

    > then i use the above command and yes it does work but the Avi file
    > comes out
    > in french i have googled to find out what needs to be changed but i can't
    > find the answer any help would be helpful.

    Was the source file in French? I make sure the torrent I'm getting is in
    English first. There are some things that are lost such as subtitles
    unless you do a 1:1 conversion. Among those things are language menus,
    etc.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  4. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:58:13 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:02:01 +0100, Darklight wrote:
    >
    >> then i use the above command and yes it does work but the Avi file
    >> comes out
    >> in french i have googled to find out what needs to be changed but i
    >> can't find the answer any help would be helpful.

    > Was the source file in French? I make sure the torrent I'm getting is in
    > English first. There are some things that are lost such as subtitles
    > unless you do a 1:1 conversion. Among those things are language menus,
    > etc.

    K9copy is a simple frontend that allows easy selection of the soundtrack
    one wants in the ripped version. Seems to be a well-behaved KDE app.

  5. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:59:20 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >>> Hey, that last paragraph there, that went real smooth for the Suse
    >>> part

    > http://software.opensuse.org/search?...E%3A10.3&q=jed
    >
    >> Mmm. Isn't Kate a KDE program? And here I sat and thought you did not
    >> want to fool around to install KDE applications.
    >> Must be my lack of understanding English.

    > Konsole and Kate are two exceptions I'll make due to the fact they
    > require a minimal set of libs to run.

    The same will be true for many other KDE applications. That said, one of
    the huge advantages of openSUSE is that you do not need to worry about
    anything. Wether it needs something or that is already installed is
    something the distribution will do for you.

    Obviously you can make it yourself difficult.

    I do not like KDE or GNOME and run Windowmaker. However I do like some
    of the programs, so I use one next to the other. And still not use
    either KDE or GNOME.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : The Illinois Enema Bandit
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  6. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    David Bolt wrote:
    > However, I don't use mencoder to transcode to and xvid. After doing a
    > few test runs converting streams ripped from a DVD using mencoder and
    > FFmpeg, with as close to identical settings as possible, my times always
    > showed mencoder to be about a third of the speed of FFmpeg with the same
    > output quality.

    I may agree with that... but ffmpeg hasn't been around as long...
    well at least not in many distros as long. I'll have to look at it
    sounds like something I want to use now instead of mencoder.

  7. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > K3B does do some stuff OK but seems to have a few bugs. Also it won't
    > author and doesn't give you the kind of control you may need.

    I know that's why i said or another kde app ;-)

    > Also I really need more than just DVDRIP under Linux. But this is a first
    > step. Next up is to get a nice mastering app.

    DVDstyler is one, but gnome......
    kdvdauthor is a kde
    Mandvd (kde i think)
    and many more ;-)

    > This is time consuming stuff and it keeps 2 PC's occupied pretty much
    > all day. I'm doing a lot of this now because I intend to dump cable as a
    > sort of protest - It costs me $50/month and there are only 5 channels I
    > really watch not over the air. IMO, that's a rip off. So I'm amassing a
    > library of favorite TV series ("House", "South Park", "Star Trek", etc)
    > and intend to switch back to antennae. The DVD's will be for times when
    > there is nothing of interest on the air.
    >
    > BTW, the DivX capable Home DVD players are great.

    For that i have my multimediaplayer
    it's better that burn dvd-rw's ;-)

    > I can put 14 45 minute
    > long episodes of House on one single layer DVD. That's equivalent to 10.5
    > hours on a single layer DVD and you burn the avi's straight to DVD as
    > data. Only thing is you won't get DD that way but if your receiver has
    > Dolby Pro Logic II or better the sound track is fine for that type of
    > video (actually great).
    >
    > Certain things with the awesome sound tracks like "Saving Private Ryan"
    > I prefer to go ahead and burn as a traditional DVD-Video so as to get
    > the DD 6.1 surround.

    I don't understand that, you want best audio (read DD or DTS)
    but you don't complain about the divx poor video quality.
    when you want to buy a new TV then you will have "very poor quality"

    Just want to say keep dvd as dvd, TV quality at least at 3000kbs
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  8. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:15:58 +0100, Darklight wrote:

    >>> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile video.mpg dvd://1

    >> just used the above command to rip a pal dvd and i got the output below
    >> and yes it did work. file was 4.8Gb

    > owe when you use the above command is there a way to reduce the size of the
    > output file this is the first time i am really gettin to use the command
    > line so a lot to learn

    Boy you sound like me, LOL. There is a lot to learn.

    On bittorrent there are always complete movies that could be burned to a
    CD and played on a DivX capable DVD player. And one reason I want to use
    DVD::RIP as I see a very large number of torrents that have been made
    with dvdrip+xvid. And they are full length at about 700MB.

    The size of the target will vary depending on what you chose for a
    sampling rate, etc. IOW, simply, the more info you include from the
    source the bigger the target file.

    Right now the only way I know how to control that (IOW shoot for say
    700MB) is trial and error. But you might find a file size of 700MB might
    be excessive for some rips and not enough for others.

    After burning about 70 DVD's from source avi files now one thing I've
    observed is if the run time of the video is about 1:50 then a 700MB
    rip is common and makes a fine DVD both audio and video. OTOH, if the run
    time is much greater than that then the source file starts to
    decline in quality if it's at 700MB. Seems like about 2:25 is
    the limit for a 700MB rip.

    BTW, don't you love a movie that claims to be 1:45 minutes and has 15
    minutes of credits :-|

    Hell they even give a credit to the kid that runs for coffee and
    doughnuts. The upside to that is the credits shouldn't contribute much
    to the file size.

    Obviously it's always easier to donload 700MB than 1.2GB!

    There is an awful lot to learn yet. I'm shooting for using a variable
    sampling rate and a two pass encoding for conversion from source to
    target file AND not exceed the size of a single layer DVD. But I am not
    good enough yet at this to be able to do that.

    Since it would appear we are at about the same level I have some links
    that might be helpful if you want them. Most of them are about standards
    and definitions.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  9. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:44:36 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > you get the 5.1 ac3 audio stream instead of a stereo mp3 stream.

    You definitely be da man on this stuff !

    BTW, that little trick in forcing DD 5.1 is not so easy to do with doze.
    It sure appears that the Linux tools are superior.

    Helps to know how to use them, though :-)

    Have you ever considered adding something to wiki or perhaps doing a
    website? You've demonstrated a comprehensive grasp of this that I have
    not been able to find googling.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  10. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:48:40 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> Konsole and Kate are two exceptions I'll make due to the fact they
    >> require a minimal set of libs to run.

    > The same will be true for many other KDE applications. That said, one of
    > the huge advantages of openSUSE is that you do not need to worry about
    > anything. Wether it needs something or that is already installed is
    > something the distribution will do for you.

    Sighh...OK. I'm gonna not try to go off on you again.

    I know all about what will run in what and what it requires. I've built
    KDE from Source, X from source, made things run under gnome that are KDE
    and made things run under KDE that are Gnome.

    I'm well aware of what each takes and the degree of difficulty involved.
    Hell sometimes I do that for *fun* just to see if I can get it to work.

    Again that is NOT my goal here. Quite the contrary - I want the base to
    install as quickly as possible, to remain as pristine as possible and
    spend time ONLY on the video tasks.

    To accomplish this ends the path I'm taking is the fastest for what I
    have on my HD AND another distro is what I use as my workhorse. If
    anything is gonna get extra tweaking time it's the other distro. It will
    remain KDE and Suse will remain Gnome - There will be NO deviation from
    that plan.

    Please keep in mind I've been using linux like 15 years now. I don't like
    to have to say that as it sounds like chest thumping but nonetheless
    it's a fact.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  11. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:25:39 +0200, EOS wrote:

    >> Certain things with the awesome sound tracks like "Saving Private
    >> Ryan" I prefer to go ahead and burn as a traditional DVD-Video so
    >> as to get the DD 6.1 surround.

    > I don't understand that, you want best audio (read DD or DTS)
    > but you don't complain about the divx poor video quality.
    > when you want to buy a new TV then you will have "very poor quality"

    No usually the video quality is always excellent and my DVD player will
    do upconversion to a HD TV. Dolby Digital is apparently merely a
    coding algorithm and can be generated from the source file even if it
    was encoded in 2 channel stereo with one app I use.

    It also helps if you have a good A/V receiver to play back your work.

    In general what I do is shoot first for the highest quality recording I
    can get from the limitations imposed by the source file, like DD
    conversion. If that doesn't fly I'll accept 2 channel stereo and then
    use my A/V unit to use Dolby Pro Logic II that yields a sound track
    almost as good as DD 5.1.

    However, those are encoded for my brand new DVD player that has
    capabilities that didn't exist three years ago and many people have
    older units.

    In the case that someone says I'd love a copy of ... I relax the
    standards, and burn it to a DVD-R, an older standard, that will be
    accepted by almost all home DVD players.

    IOW, my little nieces got a copy of "Finding Nemo" in two channel stereo
    burned to a DVD-R. I know that will work on their player.

    PS: Some clown made small real media files of some "South Park" episodes
    in a tiny resolution. In this case since the source files were so small
    it resulted in not so great video but the number of episodes was small
    and I went ahead and used them.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  12. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I know all about what will run in what and what it requires. I've built
    > KDE from Source, X from source, made things run under gnome that are KDE
    > and made things run under KDE that are Gnome.

    I just click on a button and it works both for me under Windowmaker.
    So the way you achieve it is pretty irrelevant.

    > I'm well aware of what each takes and the degree of difficulty involved.
    > Hell sometimes I do that for *fun* just to see if I can get it to work.

    Great.

    > Again that is NOT my goal here. Quite the contrary - I want the base to
    > install as quickly as possible, to remain as pristine as possible and
    > spend time ONLY on the video tasks.

    OK. This is information you did NOT give before. You just said that you
    wanted all GNOME and did not want to waste time installing anything from
    KDE.

    So first you say you run some KDE applications. Then you say you want
    the base to install as quickly as possible (hint, go for CLI and add
    what you need)

    > To accomplish this ends the path I'm taking is the fastest for what I
    > have on my HD AND another distro is what I use as my workhorse. If
    > anything is gonna get extra tweaking time it's the other distro. It will
    > remain KDE and Suse will remain Gnome - There will be NO deviation from
    > that plan.

    You choice and apparently you are not sticking to it.

    > Please keep in mind I've been using linux like 15 years now. I don't like
    > to have to say that as it sounds like chest thumping but nonetheless
    > it's a fact.

    That will mean you have a great technical knowledge on how to do things.
    That does not mean that I or anybody else suddenly knows what you want
    or mean. If somebody says he does not want to waste time on installing
    something for KDE, then I asume this is for time reasons.

    For that reason I pointed out a URL with a one click installation

    Next you say that you do not want any KDE at all. Although I have an
    other opinion, I can agree with then, when suddenly I see you use some
    of KDE.

    I am probably completely wrong but you have different priorities that
    seem to be clashing and that is where I get confused.
    1) No KDE on the machine
    2) Some programs are OK if they are KDE
    3) Video handling only
    4) Fast instalation

    My choice would be:
    1) Video handling only
    Wether this would be KDE, GNOME, CLI or whatever would be relevant.

    I would do it as follows
    1) Select KDE or GNOME and do the standard installation
    2) Add the extra repo's
    3) Install the extra software

    I would not even bother wether things are KDE, GNOME or CLI or something
    else, as long a sthey work for the Video part.

    If I later have time (during a rip, for example) I would go and see if
    there are things I can do to speed the system up and if I can/need to
    replace GNOME programs for KDE ones or the other way around.

    houghi
    | Artist : Gerard Parmentier
    | Song : Finale. Allegro moderato ma rubato. Piu mosso. Tempo 1
    | Album : Johannes Brahms

  13. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > No usually the video quality is always excellent and my DVD player will
    > do upconversion to a HD TV. Dolby Digital is apparently merely a
    > coding algorithm and can be generated from the source file even if it
    > was encoded in 2 channel stereo with one app I use.

    I've got to ask, what do you use to re-generate 5:1 from 2 channel stereo?

    You're obviously well experienced at this, any good tutorials that you would
    care to recommend or is it really a case of "suck it and see"

    Regards

  14. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 22:17:31 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> Please keep in mind I've been using linux like 15 years now. I don't
    >> like to have to say that as it sounds like chest thumping but
    >> nonetheless it's a fact.

    > That will mean you have a great technical knowledge on how to do things.

    In fairness that means *some things*. I've yet to see anyone who hasn't
    been surprised to find a new way or different way of doing things
    including me.

    BTW, that link they put in Firefox to find a package straight away was
    something I missed or haven't seen in the past with 10.1. That is very
    handy - Found the jed rpm with that and for some reason it wasn't found
    using Yast2, standard repositories and packman. I need to look into why
    that happened.

    Also Yast2 software management seems a little "cranky". Methinks I need
    to possibly update it.

    Oh for the person that asked - jed is not jedit. Jed is a slang based
    CLI editor, very powerful, fast and easy to use. It also really old.
    I've used it forever.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  15. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > BTW, that link they put in Firefox to find a package straight away was
    > something I missed or haven't seen in the past with 10.1. That is very
    > handy - Found the jed rpm with that and for some reason it wasn't found
    > using Yast2, standard repositories and packman. I need to look into why
    > that happened.

    The link in Firefox wasn't there before. Some extremely smart person
    must have asked to put it in and they did.
    Don't forget there also is http://packages.opensuse-community.org/ next
    to http://software.opensuse.org/search which is the search firefox
    points to.

    > Also Yast2 software management seems a little "cranky". Methinks I need
    > to possibly update it.

    That will not help as it will be the latest stable version anyway and
    will bring more pain then pleasure.

    houghi
    | Artist : Grateful Dead
    | Song : Weather Report Suite
    | Album : Dick's Picks

  16. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:34:47 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> BTW, that link they put in Firefox to find a package straight away was
    >> something I missed or haven't seen in the past with 10.1. That is very
    >> handy - Found the jed rpm with that and for some reason it wasn't found
    >> using Yast2, standard repositories and packman. I need to look into why
    >> that happened.

    > The link in Firefox wasn't there before. Some extremely smart person
    > must have asked to put it in and they did.
    > Don't forget there also is http://packages.opensuse-community.org/ next
    > to http://software.opensuse.org/search which is the search firefox
    > points to.

    Thanx, I always appreciate quick reminders like that. I always RTFM but
    hate to read them 3-4 times and the ol' memory ain't what it used to be.

    >> Also Yast2 software management seems a little "cranky". Methinks I need
    >> to possibly update it.

    > That will not help as it will be the latest stable version anyway and
    > will bring more pain then pleasure.

    Hmmm...I might just need to drop one repository site then try another.
    Mandrivia will often have a site or two like that which causes the
    package manager for their system to not be as responsive as it should
    be.

    You know I think I like XFCE more than Gnome mostly for layout and
    cosmetic reasons. XFCE will not conflict with Gnome libs at all so...But
    I should also learn more about Gnome (It's been so long since I used
    it). I guess we'll see which way the wind blows.
    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  17. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:57:40 +0300, Gilbert wrote:

    >> No usually the video quality is always excellent and my DVD player will
    >> do upconversion to a HD TV. Dolby Digital is apparently merely a
    >> coding algorithm and can be generated from the source file even if it
    >> was encoded in 2 channel stereo with one app I use.

    > I've got to ask, what do you use to re-generate 5:1 from 2 channel stereo?

    > You're obviously well experienced at this, any good tutorials that you would
    > care to recommend or is it really a case of "suck it and see"

    Well unfortunately so far it is to a degree "suck it and see".

    But I do have some experiences to share and some odd quirks also.
    Unfortunately I have to name windoze apps too. Also I have to defer to
    any Sound Engineers out there as this would be better answered by them.
    I'm in the wrong field.

    Assuming a bittorrent downloaded movie...

    These are the variables that I've found.

    1. Quality of the source file - A low sampling rate on the audio side
    yields crappy results.

    2. Application used - Nero Vision 4 (Always use quality media!) can do
    this but ConvertX2DVD or AVS Video encoder or Xillisoft...Hey I stopped
    looking when I discovered Nero works most of the time (85%).

    3. DVD Player capability (Not all hardware is created equally)

    4. A/V receiver capability (Again spend $400 or so at least here on just
    the receiver - A $400 Onkyo will do it all. Paying more unless it a LOT
    more only gives you more power, not quality).

    Don't skimp on item 3 - go ahead and spend at least $100 and get a good
    DivX capable DVD player for your HT system

    Now as far as how it happens this page is an excellent read...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

    Apparently DD does it's work matrices electronically in hardware
    decoders and with software with software encoders. I've seen the
    blueprints of these types of circuits and they basically trap, channel,
    and recombine the source to get an "expanded sound field".

    This type of task hardware wise isn't all that new. Some years ago I
    spent $1000 on a Marrantz "Back Pack" amp that would create 4 channel
    sound from a stereo source.

    How effective it will be depends on how good the designers software and
    hardware alike are. Early effects (actually a better phrase of an A/V
    receiver would be signal processor) such as "Cinema" or "Auditorium" are
    very unsophistacated and actually degrade the quality of the signal, IMO.
    Also, Dolby Pro Logic II is light years ahead of the previous versions
    and will make a stereo DVD *sound* almost exactly like a DD 5.1 DVD. It
    is such an improvement if your receiver doesn't have it this is one thing
    it's really worth opening the wallet for, a receiver with Pro Logic II
    or better.

    So in summary your results on that will depend on a number of factors. I
    strongly suggest the home theater NG's as they have people who are
    expert in the field, Audio Engineers, Acoustics Engineers, hanging out
    there (The usual jerks too of course). That's where I lurked before I
    bought and I could not have made a smarter move doing so.

    Beware - Sales folks in this area will feed you any crock of crap they
    can. Educate yourself first if you go hardware hunting and you'll be
    laughing at what they try to tell you. This last comment is not
    necessarily for you but for the benefit of others. I hate to see anyone
    get ripped off by those guys.

    Opps - Out of room; I'll mention some quirks in later posts if there are
    follow ups.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net
    If its Tourist Season, why can't we shoot 'em ???

  18. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > No usually the video quality is always excellent and my DVD player will
    > do upconversion to a HD TV.

    maby for divX on a small tv
    what resolution and settings do you use then for the DivX?

    hum, i just bought me a new TV (1920x1080)
    even with a dvd is the quality just enough.
    (tested on lord of the rings special edition where the source
    runs at ~8 MB per second)
    I don't believe in upconversion.........
    If the source is small the result is poor
    but this evening i will try out a divx for quality test ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 10.3

  19. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > You know I think I like XFCE more than Gnome mostly for layout and
    > cosmetic reasons. XFCE will not conflict with Gnome libs at all so...But
    > I should also learn more about Gnome (It's been so long since I used
    > it). I guess we'll see which way the wind blows.

    I tried out XFCE for a few months and I thought it lacked some certain
    things that were included in Windowmaker. Especialy ease of
    configurations.

    I am curious why you mention that it does not conflict with Gnome libs.
    That would imply that other things do conflict with Gnome libs. I have
    not yet found any reason to think or say that.

    As I said, I use programs, regardless of what libs are behind them. The
    advantage of not spending time on thenm myself, but using the default.

    houghi
    | Artist : Jethro Tull
    | Song : Heavy Water
    | Album : Rock Island

  20. Re: Suse 10.3 and DVD::RIP

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:57:40 +0300, Gilbert wrote:

    > I've got to ask, what do you use to re-generate 5:1 from 2 channel
    > stereo?

    The only thing that will work is magic. And maybe time travel, but I
    haven't tried that one.