can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly - Suse

This is a discussion on can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly - Suse ; I have been trying to get subversion to work using apache2 in 10.3 by following the instructions in /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion/README.SuSE I also installed viewvc The Web pages for both of these seem to work properly, but when I get to the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    I have been trying to get subversion to work using apache2 in 10.3 by
    following the instructions in
    /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion/README.SuSE
    I also installed viewvc

    The Web pages for both of these seem to work properly, but when I get
    to the last step (loading the repository) I always get a PROPFIND
    error:
    PROPFIND of '/repos/tekplot': 301 Moved Permanently (https://
    192.168.1.13)

    I googles this, and it talks about having the repo under the doc root
    as being bad, but I do not think I am doing this, so I an quite stuck.
    I even moved the repository to another disk partition.

    Here is my subversion.conf file:

    ##
    ## project related HTML files
    ##

    ## Alias /repos /local/svn/html
    Alias /repos /local/svn/repos

    Options +Indexes +Multiviews -FollowSymLinks
    IndexOptions FancyIndexing \
    ScanHTMLTitles \
    NameWidth=* \
    DescriptionWidth=* \
    SuppressLastModified \
    SuppressSize

    order allow,deny
    allow from all

    DAV svn
    SVNPath /local/svn/repos/tekplot

    # Require SSL connection for password protection.
    SSLRequireSSL
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Authorization for tekplot required"
    AuthUserFile /local/svn/user_access/passwdfile
    AuthGroupFile /local/svn/user_access/groupfile
    Require valid-user

    # Limit write permission to list of valid users.

    Require group sciend

    # Limit read access to certain people

    Require group sciend

    DAV svn
    SVNPath /local/svn/repos/graphic2
    # Require SSL connection for password protection.
    SSLRequireSSL

    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Authorization for graphic2 required"
    AuthUserFile /local/svn/user_access/passwdfile
    AuthGroupFile /local/svn/user_access/groupfile
    Require valid-user

    # Limit write permission to list of valid users.

    require group sciend

    # Limit read access to certain people

    Require group sciend

    SSLRequireSSL
    AuthName "Subversion repository graphic2 with ViewVC"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /local/svn/user_access/passwdfile
    AuthGroupFile /local/svn/user_access/groupfile
    Require valid-user

  2. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > I have been trying to get subversion to work using apache2 in 10.3 by
    > following the instructions in
    > /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion/README.SuSE
    > I also installed viewvc

    ---------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------

    I find that using 'usvn' is easy to set up and use. You might consider this
    option as it's as easy as installing with Yast and then open up a web
    browser as root and point your browser to http://localhost/usvn to get
    started.

    Much less complificated (my word) than the method you are trying...

    Remember to paste a copy of the generated text in step #5 (or was it 6 ?) as
    instructed during install. Then do 'rcapche2 restart' in a root terminal
    (su) and then on the final step of install click the connect to USVN button
    and you're there. Click the 'Admin' tab to start using this php frontend
    and enjoy.

    P.S. I don't see any problems with their license which is open source but
    not GPL !!! Read the license agreement as you must anyway in order to
    proceed with the setup...

    This is my opinion though you may disagree..

  3. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to get subversion to work using apache2 in 10.3 by
    >> following the instructions in
    >> /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion/README.SuSE
    >> I also installed viewvc

    > ---------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------
    >
    > I find that using 'usvn' is easy to set up and use. You might consider
    > this option as it's as easy as installing with Yast and then open up a web
    > browser as root and point your browser to http://localhost/usvn to get
    > started.
    >
    > Much less complificated (my word) than the method you are trying...
    >
    > Remember to paste a copy of the generated text in step #5 (or was it 6 ?)
    > as
    > instructed during install.

    Paste to the end of your /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file and save !!
    > Then do 'rcapche2 restart' in a root terminal
    > (su) and then on the final step of install click the connect to USVN
    > button
    > and you're there. Click the 'Admin' tab to start using this php frontend
    > and enjoy.
    >
    > P.S. I don't see any problems with their license which is open source but
    > not GPL !!! Read the license agreement as you must anyway in order to
    > proceed with the setup...
    >
    > This is my opinion though you may disagree..

  4. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 8, 5:52*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > >> I have been trying to get subversion to work using apache2 in 10.3 by
    > >> following the instructions in
    > >> /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion/README.SuSE
    > >> I also installed viewvc

    > > ---------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------

    > > I find that using 'usvn' is easy to set up and use. *You might consider
    > > this option as it's as easy as installing with Yast and then open up a web
    > > browser as root and point your browser tohttp://localhost/usvnto get
    > > started.

    > > Much less complificated (my word) than the method you are trying...

    > > Remember to paste a copy of the generated text in step #5 (or was it 6 ?)
    > > as
    > > instructed during install.

    > Paste to the end of your /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file and save !!
    >
    > > Then do 'rcapche2 restart' in a root terminal
    > > (su) and then on the final step of install click the connect to USVN
    > > button
    > > and you're there. *Click the 'Admin' tab to start using this php frontend
    > > and enjoy.

    > > P.S. *I don't see any problems with their license which is open sourcebut
    > > not GPL !!! *Read the license agreement as you must anyway in order to
    > > proceed with the setup...

    > > This is my opinion though you may disagree..

    Great idea. I used the auto install for SUSE 10.3. But when I go to
    the usvn page, it says that mod-rewrite is not started and I should
    not attempt the install. rewrite is in /etc/sysconfig/apache2 in the
    APACHE_MODULES line. And I restarted apache2.
    The usvn site also says you need the mod_svn enabled. There is no svn
    module. There are dav, and dav_svn.

    Should I turn off subversion.conf and viewvc.conf also? I tried that.
    No change.
    So I am still stuck.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  5. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Apr 8, 5:52¬*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > ---------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> > I find that using 'usvn' is easy to set up and use. ¬*You might consider
    >> > this option as it's as easy as installing with Yast and then open up a
    >> > web browser as root and point your browser tohttp://localhost/usvnto
    >> > get started.

    >> > Much less complificated (my word) than the method you are trying...

    >> > Remember to paste a copy of the generated text in step #5 (or was it 6
    >> > ?) as
    >> > instructed during install.

    >> Paste to the end of your /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file and save !!
    >>
    >> > Then do 'rcapche2 restart' in a root terminal
    >> > (su) and then on the final step of install click the connect to USVN
    >> > button
    >> > and you're there. ¬*Click the 'Admin' tab to start using this php
    >> > frontend and enjoy.

    >> > P.S. ¬*I don't see any problems with their license which is open source
    >> > but not GPL !!! ¬*Read the license agreement as you must anyway in order
    >> > to proceed with the setup...

    >> > This is my opinion though you may disagree..

    > Great idea. I used the auto install for SUSE 10.3. But when I go to
    > the usvn page, it says that mod-rewrite is not started and I should
    > not attempt the install. rewrite is in /etc/sysconfig/apache2 in the
    > APACHE_MODULES line. And I restarted apache2.
    > The usvn site also says you need the mod_svn enabled. There is no svn
    > module. There are dav, and dav_svn.
    >
    > Should I turn off subversion.conf and viewvc.conf also? I tried that.
    > No change.
    > So I am still stuck.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Probably shouldn't admit this but I try to avoid editing config files
    manually unless it is absolutely necessary! I'd rather use Yast modules
    when they are available. That way I'm less likely to really screw
    something up if I have a case of 'brain fade'... So using Yast's 'http'
    module (->Network Services->HTTP Server) make sure that 'dav' , 'dav_fs'
    & 'rewrite' are 'ENABLED'. This will ensure that you have your apache
    module config o.k. Next you want to go to Yast->System ->System Services
    and check that 'svnserve' is ENABLED...

    Now use your browser to start the 'USVN' install. Should work.

  6. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Probably shouldn't admit this but I try to avoid editing config files
    > manually unless it is absolutely necessary! I'd rather use Yast modules
    > when they are available. That way I'm less likely to really screw
    > something up if I have a case of 'brain fade'...

    Why be ashamed of that. I do the same. Some things you change so seldom
    I need to look it up each and every time if I would want to do it
    myself.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Tracy Is A Snob
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

  7. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:39:25 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Probably shouldn't admit this but I try to avoid editing config files
    >> manually unless it is absolutely necessary! I'd rather use Yast
    >> modules when they are available. That way I'm less likely to really
    >> screw something up if I have a case of 'brain fade'...

    > Why be ashamed of that. I do the same. Some things you change so seldom
    > I need to look it up each and every time if I would want to do it
    > myself.

    Besides, the whole point of using a distro that's built on a platform of
    automated management tools is to use that distro the way the designers
    intended.

    If you want to install everything from source, edit config files by hand,
    and resolve dependencies manually, why not just use Slackware, which is
    designed and intended to work that way? :-)

  8. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 1:04*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > > ---------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------

    > >> Paste to the end of your /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file and save !!

    > > Great idea. I used the auto install for SUSE 10.3. But when I go to
    > > the usvn page, it says that mod-rewrite is not started and I should
    > > not attempt the install. rewrite is in /etc/sysconfig/apache2 in the
    > > APACHE_MODULES line. And I restarted apache2.
    > > The usvn site also says you need the mod_svn enabled. There is no svn
    > > module. There are dav, and dav_svn.

    > > Should I turn off subversion.conf and viewvc.conf also? I tried that.
    > > No change.
    > > So I am still stuck.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Probably shouldn't admit this but I try to avoid editing config files
    > manually unless it is absolutely necessary! *I'd rather use Yast modules
    > when they are available. *That way I'm less likely to really screw
    > something up if I have a case of 'brain fade'... *So using Yast's 'http'
    > module (->Network Services->HTTP Server) make sure that 'dav' , 'dav_fs'
    > & 'rewrite' are 'ENABLED'. *This will ensure that you have your apache
    > module config o.k. *Next you want to go to *Yast->System ->System Services
    > and check that 'svnserve' is ENABLED...
    >
    > Now use your browser to start the 'USVN' install. *Should work.

    Well, actually, using yast2 to configure httpd really screwed things
    up since it turned off modules like ssl that were already there.
    But for sure, I know how to change the sysconfig/apache2 file and run
    SuSEconfig to have those changes put into the /etc/apache config
    files. But I did go into yast2 and carefully enabled the modules and
    restarted apache2, and it still says mod_rewrite is not running.
    Any other suggestions?

  9. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 1:04*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > > ---------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------

    > >> Paste to the end of your /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file and save !!

    > > Great idea. I used the auto install for SUSE 10.3. But when I go to
    > > the usvn page, it says that mod-rewrite is not started and I should
    > > not attempt the install. rewrite is in /etc/sysconfig/apache2 in the
    > > APACHE_MODULES line. And I restarted apache2.
    > > The usvn site also says you need the mod_svn enabled. There is no svn
    > > module. There are dav, and dav_svn.

    > > Should I turn off subversion.conf and viewvc.conf also? I tried that.
    > > No change.
    > > So I am still stuck.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Probably shouldn't admit this but I try to avoid editing config files
    > manually unless it is absolutely necessary! *I'd rather use Yast modules
    > when they are available. *That way I'm less likely to really screw
    > something up if I have a case of 'brain fade'... *So using Yast's 'http'
    > module (->Network Services->HTTP Server) make sure that 'dav' , 'dav_fs'
    > & 'rewrite' are 'ENABLED'. *This will ensure that you have your apache
    > module config o.k. *Next you want to go to *Yast->System ->System Services
    > and check that 'svnserve' is ENABLED...
    >
    > Now use your browser to start the 'USVN' install. *Should work.

    Ah!. The problem is that I accessed using http instead of https. As
    soon as I used https, it worked.

  10. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    marksouth wrote:
    >> Why be ashamed of that. I do the same. Some things you change so seldom
    >> I need to look it up each and every time if I would want to do it
    >> myself.

    > Besides, the whole point of using a distro that's built on a platform of
    > automated management tools is to use that distro the way the designers
    > intended.

    Partly. It gives you an extremely good starting point.

    > If you want to install everything from source, edit config files by hand,
    > and resolve dependencies manually, why not just use Slackware, which is
    > designed and intended to work that way? :-)

    DSL would be the correct choice. openSUSE is great if you want to edit
    config files. They add a lot information in it, so you CAN do it by
    hand.

    houghi
    | Artist : Gerard Parmentier
    | Song : Allegro non tropo, ma energico
    | Album : Johannes Brahms

  11. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    I do have php5-pdo installed. Is that were the pdo mysql drivers are?

  12. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > I do have php5-pdo installed. Is that were the pdo mysql drivers are?

    No. It is provided by php5-mysql.

  13. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 5:04*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > I do have php5-pdo installed. Is that were the pdo mysql drivers are?

    > No. *It is provided by php5-mysql

    I have that installed. So now what?

  14. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Apr 9, 5:04¬*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >> > I do have php5-pdo installed. Is that were the pdo mysql drivers are?

    >> No. ¬*It is provided by php5-mysql

    > I have that installed. So now what?

    So what happens when you start:

    http://localhost/usvn ?

    Still the same warnings ?

    Suspect you have still not got the modules loading.

    post the results of loading the url above..

    By now I'm not sure where you're at..

  15. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 7:32*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > >> No. *It is provided by php5-mysql

    > > I have that installed. So now what?

    > So what happens when you start:
    >
    > http://localhost/usvn* ?
    >
    > Still the same warnings ?
    >
    > Suspect you have still not got the modules loading.
    >
    > post the results of loading the url above..
    >
    > By now I'm not sure where you're at..

    I am stuck at Step 5, the database installation. I checked the box to
    create the database, and gave the root mysql password, and I get
    Error: Can't create database
    The mysql driver is not currently installed

  16. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 7:32*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > >> No. *It is provided by php5-mysql

    > > I have that installed. So now what?

    > So what happens when you start:
    >
    > http://localhost/usvn* ?
    >
    > Still the same warnings ?
    >
    > Suspect you have still not got the modules loading.
    >
    > post the results of loading the url above..
    >
    > By now I'm not sure where you're at..

    Whoops. mysql is having problems. Now when I try to log into it, I
    get:
    jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    jargw:/etc/init.d # rcmysql status
    Checking for service MySQL:
    running

    What does this mean?

  17. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 9:28*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com" wrote:
    > On Apr 9, 7:32*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >

    > > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > > > I have that installed. So now what?

    > > So what happens when you start:

    > >http://localhost/usvn*?

    > > Still the same warnings ?

    > > Suspect you have still not got the modules loading.

    > > post the results of loading the url above..

    > > By now I'm not sure where you're at..

    > Whoops. mysql is having problems. Now when I try to log into it, I
    > get:
    > jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    > Enter password:
    > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    > jargw:/etc/init.d # rcmysql status
    > Checking for service MySQL:
    > running
    >
    > What does this mean?

    Well, this error is very common on the mysql forums. So I moved the
    socket to /tmp in the server and client sections of my.cnf.
    I can log into mysql as root (the system root using the mysql root
    pwd).
    jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 2
    Server version: 5.0.51a SUSE MySQL RPM

    But if I do it as myself, it still thinks the socket is in /var/lib/
    mysql:
    jar@jargw:~> mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    The socket is in /tmp:
    ls -l /tmp/my*
    srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 Apr 9 21:58 /tmp/mysql.sock

    So something is still strange in the configuration

  18. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 9, 10:57*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Apr 9, 9:28*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com" wrote:

    > > > So what happens when you start:

    > > >http://localhost/usvn*?

    > > > Still the same warnings ?

    > > > Suspect you have still not got the modules loading.

    > > > post the results of loading the url above..

    > > > By now I'm not sure where you're at..

    > > Whoops. mysql is having problems. Now when I try to log into it, I
    > > get:
    > > jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    > > Enter password:
    > > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    > > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    > > jargw:/etc/init.d # rcmysql status
    > > Checking for service MySQL:
    > > running

    > > What does this mean?

    > Well, this error is very common on the mysql forums. So I moved the
    > socket to /tmp in the server and client sections of my.cnf.
    > I can log into mysql as root (the system root using the mysql root
    > pwd).
    > jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    > Enter password:
    > Welcome to the MySQL monitor. *Commands end with ; or \g.
    > Your MySQL connection id is 2
    > Server version: 5.0.51a SUSE MySQL RPM
    >
    > Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
    >
    > But if I do it as myself, it still thinks the socket is in /var/lib/
    > mysql:
    > *jar@jargw:~> mysql -u root -p
    > Enter password:
    > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    >
    > The socket is in /tmp:
    > ls -l /tmp/my*
    > srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 Apr *9 21:58 /tmp/mysql.sock
    >
    > So something is still strange in the configuration

    Well, I reinstalled SUSE 10.3 because it was mysteriously rebooting,
    and was able to install usvn successfully. But how does it actually
    work? I created the projects, but they are empty. How do I get data
    into them, and how do I check in and check out files via the Web
    interface. The usvn documentation is almost non-existent.

    I do not have an existing subversion database, so I cannot use thier
    import from subversion option.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  19. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    On Apr 12, 10:23*am, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Apr 9, 10:57*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    > wrote:

    > > > Whoops. mysql is having problems. Now when I try to log into it, I
    > > > get:
    > > > jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    > > > Enter password:
    > > > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    > > > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    > > > jargw:/etc/init.d # rcmysql status
    > > > Checking for service MySQL:
    > > > running

    > > > What does this mean?

    > > Well, this error is very common on the mysql forums. So I moved the
    > > socket to /tmp in the server and client sections of my.cnf.
    > > I can log into mysql as root (the system root using the mysql root
    > > pwd).
    > > jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    > > Enter password:
    > > Welcome to the MySQL monitor. *Commands end with ; or \g.
    > > Your MySQL connection id is 2
    > > Server version: 5.0.51a SUSE MySQL RPM

    > > Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

    > > But if I do it as myself, it still thinks the socket is in /var/lib/
    > > mysql:
    > > *jar@jargw:~> mysql -u root -p
    > > Enter password:
    > > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    > > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    > > The socket is in /tmp:
    > > ls -l /tmp/my*
    > > srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 Apr *9 21:58 /tmp/mysql.sock

    > > So something is still strange in the configuration

    > Well, I reinstalled SUSE 10.3 because it was mysteriously rebooting,
    > and was able to install usvn successfully. But how does it actually
    > work? I created the projects, but they are empty. How do I get data
    > into them, and how do I check in and check out files via the Web
    > interface. The usvn documentation is almost non-existent.
    >
    > I do not have an existing subversion database, so I cannot use thier
    > import from subversion option.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    I figured this out finally. For others that are stuck, here is what I
    did:

    Subversion issues
    0) You must install subversion from subversion.tigris.org (or the
    Linux rpms).

    1) You must use a real ip address if anyone external needs to access
    it. I got an alias from dyndns.org
    https://myip.dyndns.org/usvn/svn/project_name/trunk as the URL.
    Of course, open the 443 port to this internal machine and put on some
    type of authentication.

    2) But this will not work until you manually accept the snake oil
    https certificate. So do (at a command prompt)
    svn list https://myip.dyndns.org/usvn/svn/project_name/trunk
    and accept the certificate permanently.

    3) Then you can configure NetBeans to find it.
    -> In options/miscellaneous/version control, give the path to the svn
    directory. Restart Netbeans.
    -> In Versioning/Checkout, you can insert the above URL, and then
    check out your project. You can also import your project into the
    database this way.

    4) I initially loaded the database after having done 'su wwwrun'
    because wwwrun owns the repository. That may be unnecessary if you
    load it using a client via, say NetBeans.

  20. Re: can't get subversion/Apache2 to work properly

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Apr 12, 10:23¬*am, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> On Apr 9, 10:57¬*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    >> wrote:

    >> > Well, this error is very common on the mysql forums. So I moved the
    >> > socket to /tmp in the server and client sections of my.cnf.
    >> > I can log into mysql as root (the system root using the mysql root
    >> > pwd).
    >> > jargw:/etc/init.d # mysql -u root -p
    >> > Enter password:
    >> > Welcome to the MySQL monitor. ¬*Commands end with ; or \g.
    >> > Your MySQL connection id is 2
    >> > Server version: 5.0.51a SUSE MySQL RPM

    >> > Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

    >> > But if I do it as myself, it still thinks the socket is in /var/lib/
    >> > mysql:
    >> > jar@jargw:~> mysql -u root -p
    >> > Enter password:
    >> > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    >> > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    >> > The socket is in /tmp:
    >> > ls -l /tmp/my*
    >> > srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 Apr ¬*9 21:58 /tmp/mysql.sock

    >> > So something is still strange in the configuration

    >> Well, I reinstalled SUSE 10.3 because it was mysteriously rebooting,
    >> and was able to install usvn successfully. But how does it actually
    >> work? I created the projects, but they are empty. How do I get data
    >> into them, and how do I check in and check out files via the Web
    >> interface. The usvn documentation is almost non-existent.
    >>
    >> I do not have an existing subversion database, so I cannot use thier
    >> import from subversion option.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    > I figured this out finally. For others that are stuck, here is what I
    > did:
    >
    > Subversion issues
    > 0) You must install subversion from subversion.tigris.org (or the
    > Linux rpms).
    >
    > 1) You must use a real ip address if anyone external needs to access
    > it. I got an alias from dyndns.org
    > https://myip.dyndns.org/usvn/svn/project_name/trunk as the URL.
    > Of course, open the 443 port to this internal machine and put on some
    > type of authentication.
    >
    > 2) But this will not work until you manually accept the snake oil
    > https certificate. So do (at a command prompt)
    > svn list https://myip.dyndns.org/usvn/svn/project_name/trunk
    > and accept the certificate permanently.
    >
    > 3) Then you can configure NetBeans to find it.
    > -> In options/miscellaneous/version control, give the path to the svn
    > directory. Restart Netbeans.
    > -> In Versioning/Checkout, you can insert the above URL, and then
    > check out your project. You can also import your project into the
    > database this way.
    >
    > 4) I initially loaded the database after having done 'su wwwrun'
    > because wwwrun owns the repository. That may be unnecessary if you
    > load it using a client via, say NetBeans.

    Glad you figured it out. It seemed that you had a few configuration errors
    as I have installed USVN without problems a few times now. Also good to
    see you got it set up to work with NetBeans. Good work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast