Network install woes - Suse

This is a discussion on Network install woes - Suse ; Greetings all, I have a number of Suse boxen to setup, so I decided to grab the repository and set it up locally, rather than burning bandwidth and hitting someone's mirror over and over. I set up a local web ...

  1. Network install woes

    Greetings all,

    I have a number of Suse boxen to setup, so I decided to grab the
    repository and set it up locally, rather than burning bandwidth and
    hitting someone's mirror over and over. I set up a local web site
    opensuse.mynet.net and pointed it to the root of the install directory
    (where boot, suse,etc. directories are). I can browse to this site and
    see everything as I can see it on one of the mirrors.

    I got everything downloaded and I've booted to my network install disk,
    but after giving it the name of my local http site (opensuse.mynet.net)
    and the directory (blank), I'm getting a 404 error. Going to the alt-F3
    console shows me that the install cannot see /boot/i386/root, even though
    I can browse the directory tree in firefox and see everything from my
    local workstation. I can browse to files and open them, so it doesn't
    appear to be an access error and the file in question is in the directory.

    I'm sort of stumped here. I tried reconfiguring the web site to point to
    the parent directory (10.2) and giving the site as opensuse.mynet.net and
    the directory as /10.2, but this results in the same problem, but with a
    reference to /10.2/boot/i383/root instead.

    If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be very happy to hear them.
    BTW, I pointed this same install disk and physical box to one of the
    mirror repositories and it worked fine, just horribly slowly.

    Thanks!

    ne.

    --
    Maybe so, but so what if they did violate it? Are you going to spend
    $100,000 on lawyers to try to make them admit it? Do you expect Super
    -- Vernon Schryver, March 26, 2008

  2. Re: Network install woes

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, NetworkElf wrote:-

    >If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be very happy to hear them.
    >BTW, I pointed this same install disk and physical box to one of the
    >mirror repositories and it worked fine, just horribly slowly.

    As a background, I'm using 10.3 as my example, although I've also set up
    11.0 alpha3 in the same manor. For 10.3, I copied the DVD into its own
    directory. In my case, it is located at /local/openSUSE-10.3-GM . The
    11.0 alpha3 is located in /local/openSUSE-11.0 . I also have a DHCP
    server running on my LAN so I don't have to worry about configuring IP
    addresses for systems as they are added.

    First step was to create the file /etc/apache2/conf.d/inst-source.conf
    and add the following contents to it:

    Alias /suse/ "/local/openSUSE-10.3-GM/"

    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

    Alias /factory/ "/local/openSUSE-11.0/"

    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

    I had apache2 reload the configuration by using:

    rcapache2 reload

    My second step was to start the installation on a system using the
    network installation CD. I didn't need to do this as I could have used
    the DVD or one of the CD installation sources.

    Once the CD/DVD menu is displayed, I selected "Installation" and entered
    the following options:

    install=http://192.168.0.40/suse language=en_GB usedhcp=1 startshell=1

    These options[0] specify I'm using a British keyboard layout, and I'd
    like the display to be English, the installation source is my web server
    located at 192.168.0.40 with the sources root directory being /suse, and
    that I want the network card to be configured using DHCP. I added the
    "startshell=1" option because I sometimes like to use a shell before the
    installation gets underway, mainly to make sure that swap is used right
    from the beginning on low-memory systems.

    Pressing return loaded the kernel from the CD and proceeded to start the
    installation.

    Just over an hour later, I had another system up and running 10.3. It
    didn't stay there though as I restarted the installation. Changing the
    /suse to /factory gave me an 11.0a3 installation instead.

    [0] You can find the details about these, and many others, here:

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1