SUSE 10.3: install from CD, but then move CD data to HDD - Suse

This is a discussion on SUSE 10.3: install from CD, but then move CD data to HDD - Suse ; I'm building a small server using SUSE 10.3. I don't mind installing from CD, but the server is a couple miles from my office, and I don't want to have to drive over there to update or install new software. ...

  1. SUSE 10.3: install from CD, but then move CD data to HDD

    I'm building a small server using SUSE 10.3.

    I don't mind installing from CD, but the server is a couple miles from
    my office, and I don't want to have to drive over there to update or
    install new software.

    As far as I can tell, the machine needs access to the CD, because if I
    install from CD and then later (long after the installation is done)
    decide to install an additional package, it often "wants" the CD.

    So I need to be able to either
    (1) tell it not to ask for the CD but to look for the package in an
    online repository, or
    (2) copy the CD to the hard drive and tell it that this is now the
    source for the information that was on the CD.

  2. Re: SUSE 10.3: install from CD, but then move CD data to HDD

    woger151@jqpx37.cotse.net wrote:

    > I'm building a small server using SUSE 10.3.

    I think it's openSUSE 10.3
    or you are using SLES or SLED from novell, but SUSE 10.3 doesn't exists ;-)

    > I don't mind installing from CD, but the server is a couple miles from
    > my office, and I don't want to have to drive over there to update or
    > install new software.

    you don't need to using the cd-rom

    > As far as I can tell, the machine needs access to the CD, because if I
    > install from CD and then later (long after the installation is done)
    > decide to install an additional package, it often "wants" the CD.

    do not use the cd-rom then ;-)
    disconent the cd-rom in "yast - software - softwaresource"
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...arebronnen.png

    > So I need to be able to either
    > (1) tell it not to ask for the CD but to look for the package in an
    > online repository, or

    no need

    > (2) copy the CD to the hard drive and tell it that this is now the
    > source for the information that was on the CD.

    yes you can use the iso file from openSUSE 10.3 install cd
    on local drive.
    just go to "yast- software - softwaresource - add - add local iso"

    or add repositories: (for openSUSE 10.3)
    http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...3/repo/non-oss
    http://download.opensuse.org/update/10.3

    you can add this to before installation,
    i add a lot repositories before installing, like KDE, KDE Community,
    Videolan, Openoffice, Packman, Mozilla, .......
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: SUSE 10.3: install from CD, but then move CD data to HDD

    On Apr 7, 1:02 pm, EOS wrote:
    > woger...@jqpx37.cotse.net wrote:
    > > I'm building a small server using SUSE 10.3.

    > I think it's openSUSE 10.3
    > or you are using SLES or SLED from novell, but SUSE 10.3 doesn't exists ;-)

    Yes, for precision, I'm using openSUSE10.3.

    Thanks for the advice; I'll try it soon.

    Cheers,

  4. Re: SUSE 10.3: install from CD, but then move CD data to HDD

    EOS wrote:
    > yes you can use the iso file from openSUSE 10.3 install cd
    > on local drive.
    > just go to "yast- software - softwaresource - add - add local iso"
    >
    > or add repositories: (for openSUSE 10.3)
    > http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss
    > http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...3/repo/non-oss
    > http://download.opensuse.org/update/10.3
    >
    > you can add this to before installation,
    > i add a lot repositories before installing, like KDE, KDE Community,
    > Videolan, Openoffice, Packman, Mozilla, .......

    I only add Packman, openSUSE, openSUSE non-OSS and the local stuff. In
    the future I will also add my own repo's on the build server.

    houghi
    | Artist : Evanescence
    | Song : Solitude
    | Album : EP