NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10 - Suse

This is a discussion on NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10 - Suse ; hi, we are testing several java applications on suse 10 with 16 cpu´s (intel xeon 3.00ghz) and 16GB RAM on a ibm blade. sometimes it happens that suse freezes randomly and i can´t access the machine via ssh or anything ...

  1. NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10

    hi,

    we are testing several java applications on suse 10 with 16 cpu´s
    (intel xeon 3.00ghz) and 16GB RAM on a ibm blade. sometimes it happens
    that suse freezes randomly and i can´t access the machine via ssh or
    anything else anymore. there is nothing useful in the log files.

    the only hint i can see is with nmon (with option: verbose mode):
    "Danger -> Top Disk sda %busy 100.3%"

    you guys have any idea what this could mean?

    thanks in advance, marton

  2. Re: NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10

    marton.szabo@ivz.de wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > we are testing several java applications on suse 10 with 16 cpu´s
    > (intel xeon 3.00ghz) and 16GB RAM on a ibm blade. sometimes it happens
    > that suse freezes randomly and i can´t access the machine via ssh or
    > anything else anymore. there is nothing useful in the log files.
    >
    > the only hint i can see is with nmon (with option: verbose mode):
    > "Danger -> Top Disk sda %busy 100.3%"
    >
    > you guys have any idea what this could mean?

    Just guestimating. Probably sda holds tmp and/or swap and that is being
    written to. First disable the HD cache and see what happens. Also if you
    can figure out who or what is writing to it, you could reduce the amount
    it can write and still leave some space for root to access the machine
    (unless it is root)

    houghi
    | Artist : Evanescence
    | Song : Imaginary
    | Album : Anywhere But Home

  3. Re: NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10

    > Just guestimating. Probably sda holds tmp and/or swap and that is being
    > written to. First disable the HD cache and see what happens. Also if you
    > can figure out who or what is writing to it, you could reduce the amount
    > it can write and still leave some space for root to access the machine
    > (unless it is root)

    thank you for your answer. do you know where i can disable the HD
    cache? i already was checking the bios but i couldn´t find anything
    there.
    maybe with hdparm?

    thanks in advance, marton

  4. Re: NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10

    marton.szabo@ivz.de wrote:
    >> Just guestimating. Probably sda holds tmp and/or swap and that is being
    >> written to. First disable the HD cache and see what happens. Also if you
    >> can figure out who or what is writing to it, you could reduce the amount
    >> it can write and still leave some space for root to access the machine
    >> (unless it is root)

    > thank you for your answer. do you know where i can disable the HD
    > cache? i already was checking the bios but i couldn´t find anything
    > there.
    > maybe with hdparm?

    Probably you are talking about swap, not cache:
    swapoff /dev/xxx

    Obviously xxx is where your swap is. To turn it on it is swapon.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  5. Re: NMON - verbose mode with SUSE 10

    marton.szabo@ivz.de wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > we are testing several java applications on suse 10 with 16 cpu´s
    > (intel xeon 3.00ghz) and 16GB RAM on a ibm blade. sometimes it happens
    > that suse freezes randomly and i can´t access the machine via ssh or
    > anything else anymore. there is nothing useful in the log files.
    >
    > the only hint i can see is with nmon (with option: verbose mode):
    > "Danger -> Top Disk sda %busy 100.3%"
    >
    > you guys have any idea what this could mean?

    Not sure... however the ONLY thing I know that will lock up an
    openSUSE 10 or SLES 10 box is the evil zmd. Disable the
    novell zmd if were talking about SLES and see if you experience
    anymore lock ups. Zmd simply runs amuck sometimes (and no... version
    level of SLES doesn't make a difference).

    Just do Online Updates periodically with YaST.

+ Reply to Thread