Amarok and signatures - Suse

This is a discussion on Amarok and signatures - Suse ; OK. There are several ways of steering Amarok via a website and can even be used to play music over the intertubes. Now for the realy importand and fun stuff. CLI and signatures. Imagine I would like the world to ...

  1. Amarok and signatures

    OK. There are several ways of steering Amarok via a website and can even
    be used to play music over the intertubes.

    Now for the realy importand and fun stuff. CLI and signatures.
    Imagine I would like the world to know what I am listening to. Something
    like:
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Tracy Is A Snob
    | Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6

    This can be reached easily by running the following script:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : `dcop amarok player artist`
    | Song : `dcop amarok player title`
    | Album : `dcop amarok player album`"

    As you see there are just three commands all starting with `dcop amarok
    player`. So what are the other things you can do? Just do `dcop amarok
    player` and try things. You can do `dcop amarok` as well and see there
    are other things as well.

    Now if you want to use such a thing for a signature, you can do this in
    several ways. The first would be to run the script each minute and write
    it to a file.

    Why not run it each time you need it? Well, because many programs expect
    a file, not a program for a signature.

    The we get the named pipes and fifo files. So what we do is first make a
    file with `mkfifo ~/. signature`. Next we make a onliner like `while true;do
    signature > ~/.signature ;done &

    We must see that the above onlinere is launched each time.
    houghi@penne : cat ~/.signature
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Bobby Brown goes down
    | Album : Strictly commercial

    And some more. Here you can see that it should go through a parser
    first. :-D

    houghi@penne : dcop amarok player lyrics
    title='Bobby brown goes down'
    page_url='http://lyrc.com.ar/en/tema1en.php?artist=Frank%20Zappa&songname=Bobby%20 Brown%20goes%20down'>
    Hey there people I'm Bobby Brown
    They say I'm the cutest boy in town
    My car is fast, my teeth are shiney
    I tell all the girls they can kiss my hinie
    Here I am at a famous school
    I'm dressin sharp and I'm actin' cool
    I got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper
    Let her do all the work, maybe later I rape her

    Oh god I am the American dream
    I do not think I'm too extreme
    and I'm a handsome sonofabitch
    I'm gonna get a good job and be real rich.

    Women's liberation came creepin' across the nation
    I tell you people, I was not ready
    When I ****ed this dyke by the name of Freddie
    she made a little speech then
    Aw, she tried to make me say when
    She had my balls in a vice
    but she left the dick
    I guess I'm still hooked on,
    but now it shoots too quick

    Oh god I am the American dream
    but now I smell like Vasseline
    and I'm a miserable sonofabitch
    Am I a boy or a lady - I don't know which

    So I went out n' bought me a leisure suit
    I jingle my change, but I'm still kinda cute
    got a job doin' radio promo
    An' none of the jocks can even tell I'm a homo
    Eventually me n' a friend
    sort a' drifted along into S & M
    I can take about an hour on the tower of power
    'long as I gets a little golden shower

    Oh god I am the American dream
    with a spindle up my butt till it makes me scream
    and I do anything to get a head
    I lay awake nights sayin "thank you Fred!"
    Oh god oh god I'm so fantastic,
    thanks to Fred I'm a sexual spastic
    and my name is Bobby Brown,
    watch me now I'm goin down

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

  2. Re: Amarok and signatures

    On 2008-04-05, houghi wrote:
    > OK. There are several ways of steering Amarok via a website and can even
    > be used to play music over the intertubes.
    >
    > Now for the realy importand and fun stuff. CLI and signatures.
    > Imagine I would like the world to know what I am listening to. Something
    > like:
    > This was written under the influence of the following:
    >| Artist : Frank Zappa
    >| Song : Tracy Is A Snob
    >| Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6
    >
    > This can be reached easily by running the following script:
    > #!/bin/bash
    > echo "This was written under the influence of the following:
    >| Artist : `dcop amarok player artist`
    >| Song : `dcop amarok player title`
    >| Album : `dcop amarok player album`"

    Works fine

    Vahis
    | Artist : Frank Zappa
    | Song : Village of the Sun
    | Album : # 19 Roxy & Elsewhere 1974

  3. Re: Amarok and signatures

    On 2008-04-05, Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-04-05, houghi wrote:
    >> OK. There are several ways of steering Amarok via a website and can even
    >> be used to play music over the intertubes.
    >>
    >> Now for the realy importand and fun stuff. CLI and signatures.
    >> Imagine I would like the world to know what I am listening to. Something
    >> like:
    >> This was written under the influence of the following:
    >>| Artist : Frank Zappa
    >>| Song : Tracy Is A Snob
    >>| Album : You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6
    >>
    >> This can be reached easily by running the following script:
    >> #!/bin/bash
    >> echo "This was written under the influence of the following:
    >>| Artist : `dcop amarok player artist`
    >>| Song : `dcop amarok player title`
    >>| Album : `dcop amarok player album`"

    > Works fine
    >

    > Vahis

    Forgot to mention:

    I'm running KDE and I have a script in /home/username/.kde/shutdown
    that backs up the Amarok database at each logout and sends it to
    a safe place that I'm leasing from my ISP.

    Obviously this can be done in other desktops, too.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com