Recommend a simple database... - Suse

This is a discussion on Recommend a simple database... - Suse ; Greetings, Anyone have a recommendation for a database application that I'll have to design (a few text fields and a photo or jpeg field) for cataloging costume jewelry? Need something that has a reasonably low learning curve and able to ...

  1. Recommend a simple database...

    Greetings,
    Anyone have a recommendation for a database application that I'll have to
    design (a few text fields and a photo or jpeg field) for cataloging costume
    jewelry?
    Need something that has a reasonably low learning curve and able to output
    to delimited text of some kind.

    Open to ideas. THX.

    --
    Canada Post doesn't really charge 32 cents for a stamp. It's 2 cents
    for postage and 30 cents for storage.

  2. Re: Recommend a simple database...

    just plain rob wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > Anyone have a recommendation for a database application that I'll have to
    > design (a few text fields and a photo or jpeg field) for cataloging
    > costume jewelry?
    > Need something that has a reasonably low learning curve and able to output
    > to delimited text of some kind.
    >
    > Open to ideas. THX.

    SQLite. I've used it and found it was great. Here's a link to a page on
    their site that will help you figure out if SQLite is right for you:

    http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: Recommend a simple database...

    just plain rob wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > Anyone have a recommendation for a database application that I'll have to
    > design (a few text fields and a photo or jpeg field) for cataloging
    > costume jewelry?
    > Need something that has a reasonably low learning curve and able to output
    > to delimited text of some kind.
    >
    > Open to ideas. THX.

    you could look at "collection managers" like Tellico
    http://periapsis.org/tellico/ Something like this would serve your purpose
    and have a minimal (if any) learning curve.
    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.9, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  4. Re: Recommend a simple database...

    Thanks, guys (for the links as well). I'll look into both.

    --
    You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

  5. Re: Recommend a simple database...

    just plain rob wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > Anyone have a recommendation for a database application that I'll have to
    > design (a few text fields and a photo or jpeg field) for cataloging
    > costume jewelry?
    > Need something that has a reasonably low learning curve and able to output
    > to delimited text of some kind.
    >
    > Open to ideas. THX.

    Kexi seems to be simple and allows pictures. It should be in the standard
    openSuse repositories or on the DVD.

    Rekall is another.

    --
    Later,