Screensaver not starting on 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Screensaver not starting on 10.3 - Suse ; I'm running KDE2, SuSE 10.3, nvidia video and the screensaver won't start. None of the screensavers will kick on automatically when the time has expired, set at 5 minutes. I can run the setup / test for all of them ...

  1. Screensaver not starting on 10.3

    I'm running KDE2, SuSE 10.3, nvidia video and the screensaver won't
    start. None of the screensavers will kick on automatically when the
    time has expired, set at 5 minutes. I can run the setup / test for
    all of them and they work fine there. I can even lock the screen and
    the selected screensaver will start just fine then. I turned of DPMS
    for the monitor everywhere I could so now the screen just sits there
    happily doing nothing unless I use lock to lock the screen. I have
    tried it with no apps running, even turning off the automatic updates
    adn the clock in the taskbar so nothing would be trying to write to
    the gui. Is there a log file that I can look in to try and find out
    what is happening? The systems starts and then goes to runlevel 5
    just fine.

    Thanks in advance,

  2. Re: Screensaver not starting on 10.3

    My bad, that should read KDE3, not 2.

  3. Re: Screensaver not starting on 10.3

    suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:

    > My bad, that should read KDE3, not 2.

    just a stab in the dark when i installed opensuse 10.3 32 bit i had problems
    with the task bar IE the icons that were on the task bar would not start so
    i deleted kde4 and that resolved the problem.

  4. Re: Screensaver not starting on 10.3

    On Apr 3, 12:49 pm, suseneedsw...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm running KDE2, SuSE 10.3, nvidia video and the screensaver won't
    > start. None of the screensavers will kick on automatically when the
    > time has expired, set at 5 minutes. I can run the setup / test for
    > all of them and they work fine there. I can even lock the screen and
    > the selected screensaver will start just fine then. I turned of DPMS
    > for the monitor everywhere I could so now the screen just sits there
    > happily doing nothing unless I use lock to lock the screen. I have
    > tried it with no apps running, even turning off the automatic updates
    > adn the clock in the taskbar so nothing would be trying to write to
    > the gui. Is there a log file that I can look in to try and find out
    > what is happening? The systems starts and then goes to runlevel 5
    > just fine.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I have occasionally had this problem, though not recently. Try using a
    different screensaver.

  5. Re: Screensaver not starting on 10.3

    On Apr 7, 2:18*am, tim1948 wrote:
    > On Apr 3, 12:49 pm, suseneedsw...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running KDE2, SuSE 10.3, nvidia video and the screensaver won't
    > > start. *None of the screensavers will kick on automatically when the
    > > time has expired, set at 5 minutes. *I can run the setup / test for
    > > all of them and they work fine there. *I can even lock the screen and
    > > the selected screensaver will start just fine then. *I turned of DPMS
    > > for the monitor everywhere I could so now the screen just sits there
    > > happily doing nothing unless I use lock to lock the screen. *I have
    > > tried it with no apps running, even turning off the automatic updates
    > > adn the clock in the taskbar so nothing would be trying to write to
    > > the gui. *Is there a log file that I can look in to try and find out
    > > what is happening? *The systems starts and then goes to runlevel 5
    > > just fine.

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > I have occasionally had this problem, though not recently. Try using a
    > different screensaver.

    I've uninstalled KDE4, ecen rebooted in case something drasctic had
    changed in the kernel, and tried several other screensavers, even the
    "plain" ones. Still no go. Using the "lock screen" continues to work
    fine though.

    Thanks for the ideas folks!

  6. Re: Screensaver not starting on 10.3

    suseneedswork@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Apr 7, 2:18*am, tim1948 wrote:
    >> On Apr 3, 12:49 pm, suseneedsw...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm running KDE2, SuSE 10.3, nvidia video and the screensaver won't
    >> > start. *None of the screensavers will kick on automatically when the
    >> > time has expired, set at 5 minutes. *I can run the setup / test for
    >> > all of them and they work fine there. *I can even lock the screen and
    >> > the selected screensaver will start just fine then. *I turned of DPMS
    >> > for the monitor everywhere I could so now the screen just sits there
    >> > happily doing nothing unless I use lock to lock the screen. *I have
    >> > tried it with no apps running, even turning off the automatic updates
    >> > adn the clock in the taskbar so nothing would be trying to write to
    >> > the gui. *Is there a log file that I can look in to try and find out
    >> > what is happening? *The systems starts and then goes to runlevel 5
    >> > just fine.

    >> > Thanks in advance,

    >> I have occasionally had this problem, though not recently. Try using a
    >> different screensaver.

    > I've uninstalled KDE4, ecen rebooted in case something drasctic had
    > changed in the kernel, and tried several other screensavers, even the
    > "plain" ones. Still no go. Using the "lock screen" continues to work
    > fine though.
    >
    > Thanks for the ideas folks!

    Check your power settings. Make sure the times are set to infinity (ZERO)
    or are much, much higher than the screensaver settings.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery